The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 17, 2013, 07:34 PM   #1
jackpine

GWACS CAV-15 II ar lower any good??

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=326071157

never seen or heard or seen a GWACS lower before. Any idea on quality or durability?
Old January 17, 2013, 08:09 PM   #2
MarkCO

Cavalry Arms lost their FFL (long story) and this company bought their machinery. They are the only polymer lower that I would consider using. It is fine for .223 and .22rf, maybe .300BO, but I don't suggest supressed with them. Heavier calibers tend to flex enough to have to make sure the mag and bolt catch are perfectly tuned which might require some parts filing.

They will take mil-spec triggers, but most drop-in triggers won't fit. I suggest NOT using the buffer retainer pin as it can be a potential cracking point, again if the geometry is not perfect.

The stock is the shorter A1 length, but a buttpad can be added. You can buy them direct from GWACS for $195 in several colors, but if an auction is to your liking, the starting price saves you $10.

They were selling for $99 to $130 stripped and $150 complete when Cavalry Arms was in business.
Old January 17, 2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Dr Big Bird PhD

I've never seen a single piece lower receiver with the buttstock and grip attached.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 17, 2013, 09:25 PM   #4
Mobuck

Is this unit polymer(like a Glock) or carbon fiber. I pizzed off a potential buyer a couple of weeks ago when I informed him what I was selling was carbon fiber NOT polymer which he refused to believe. Another guy mentioned this company but I was not aware they were making the Cav Arms all in one lower/stock.
Old January 17, 2013, 09:59 PM   #5
MarkCO

The Cav Arms lowers are polymer, not carbon fiber, and they have been around for years. AZ company, so not many went back east. The new company started up in OK last year.

The one piece design, with the buttstock and grip in one molding is what makes these so much more durable than the polymer lowers that are then fitted with standard AR parts. They essentialy eliminated the stress concnetrations and failure modes of the polymer to metal interface that plagues the other non-metallic lowers.

The other polymer lowers, I tried them, they do not last. These do.
Old January 18, 2013, 01:55 PM   #6
jackpine

Well this may work out for my L.W. 5.56 build!
Old January 18, 2013, 11:53 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

I read somewhere that they are going to make a few variations to take different types of pistol magazines. Anyone else heard that?
Old January 19, 2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Impreza

No lowers are actual Carbon Fiber but a polycarbonate.
Old January 19, 2013, 10:53 AM   #9
jackpine

Quote:
I suggest NOT using the buffer retainer pin as it can be a potential cracking point, again if the geometry is not perfect.
so how would I keep the parts in without the pin??
Old January 20, 2013, 04:46 AM   #10
highbrow

I have had a Cavarms lower for several years. After several 1000's of rounds, no problems at all. Looks kinda funky, but works well.

There are some corners of this country which have bred the most terrible things, things that act against everything we believe in. They must be fought. FBHO- Free Edward Snowden
Old January 20, 2013, 12:31 PM   #11
MarkCO

Quote:
so how would I keep the parts in without the pin??
The bottom edge of the upper is rounded. Install the buffer spring and buffer and hold in place with your thumb. With the front pin in place, just rotate the upper down until the buffer is held in place by the upper. REMOVE finger, then close completely and put in the rear pin.

When you remove upper, same thing but in reverse. Pull pin, rotate upper away from lower about an inch, INSERT finger to hold buffer, rotate upper all the way up, pull out buffer.

It is actually just as easy as with a buffer retainer and maybe even faster for me. I run all of my ARs with no buffer retainer now.

A magazine block in the vice or a magazine block stand does help a bit.
Old January 25, 2013, 09:53 PM   #12
MarkCO

Have now built up a few of these from the new OK company. They are as good as the Cav Arms ones were. Can build one out for about $50 to $70 and they have been increasing the inventory levels on the black ones over the past week. Best bet in the market IMHO if you are still paniced and need somehting now, 3 to 4 days from order to delivery at your FFL.