The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 7, 2013, 04:12 AM   #1

looking for p95 owners tigger issue

Greetings, I picked up a new P95 tonight. Took it home for the obligatory field strip and cleaning. Ive got it all apart, start cleaning and inspecting, then I pick up the frame and the trigger just falls out. Well I get it put back together but I can see how it comes off so easy. The trigger has a bar with a hole in it that just slips over a small stud on another lever. Problem is, theirs nothing really holding it on. After I got the trigger put back together I tried manipulating the trigger a little bit and it just popped off again Anyone seem this? any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by 6.8; September 7, 2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old September 7, 2013, 02:02 PM   #2

Well, I field stripped another new P95. Low and behold, this is how its designed. I'm assuming, when its fully assembled the trigger is held in place ( contacting other parts in the slide assembly ) Never Mind.
Old September 7, 2013, 02:13 PM   #3
spacecoast

Hopefully you are correct, but I've never had the trigger fall out of mine while just picking up the frame.
Old September 8, 2013, 12:09 AM   #4

I've learned a little more. First off, before I "picked up the frame" I had been manipulating the hammer. This in fact releases the tension on the trigger bar spring, which, when tilting it just right, allows for trigger removal. If you leave the hammer alone, the tension from the trigger bar spring holds the trigger in place nice and tight. The lesson: when you field strip the gun (unless you want the trigger out) do not manipulate the hammer.
Old September 8, 2013, 12:21 AM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Your analysis is correct.

When the gun is assembled, the camblock prevents the trigger from moving upward far enough to disengage from the frame.

When the gun is disassembled (field-stripped) the hammer and trigger bar work together to keep the trigger in its proper position. If the hammer is manipulated, that moves the trigger bar to the rear and allows the trigger to disengage from the frame to the point that it can be removed from the gun.

If the hammer is not manipulated, the trigger remains secure but if the hammer is pulled back while the gun is field-stripped, the trigger can literally fall out of the gun if the gun is inverted.
Old September 8, 2013, 01:56 AM   #6
rotten mick

Also the new magazines are stiff, make sure you take the loading tool with you to shoot. Also see here

Dont freek out if you see this!! For what ruger claims is a high cost and difficult process the dont remove a thin area between the barrel and recoil spring ports on the slide your going to see some nick or fold over after 200-300 rounds. Called ruger, sent pics and the even took gun in for inspection at their cost. They replace it but said to expect to see to happen again.
Just like your thinking now..... I thought that odd and took it to a local top notch gunsmith and he said the same thing and if I wanted he could just grind it out or do it my self but just leaving be was what he would do. Not a safety issue or effect the function. I took his advice and haven't had any issues. As matter of fact I love the gun so much I bought another.

Enjoy it. You'll be shocked how good on a gun it is... oh ya tge trigger gets better after about 500 rounds. Dry fire it some and between that and the range it will smooth out some but it will still have a long first pull and needs a little longer reset. Im hope someone comes up with an kit for it. Till then enjoy.
The rest of them have to touch an electric fence"..... Will Rogers.
Old September 8, 2013, 06:39 AM   #7
spacecoast

Quote:
For what ruger claims is a high cost and difficult process the dont remove a thin area between the barrel and recoil spring ports on the slide your going to see some nick or fold over after 200-300 rounds. Called ruger, sent pics and the even took gun in for inspection at their cost. They replace it but said to expect to see to happen again.
Maybe so, but my P95 has over 2000 rounds (purchased late 2009) and I don't see or even feel any wear at that point. Is it the barrel that's chewing out that area? I always put a little oil on the barrel to lube its movement through the end of the slide.

Then again, maybe it's excessive application of Gun Scrubber.

Last edited by spacecoast; September 9, 2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old September 8, 2013, 07:03 AM   #8
rotten mick

That's what i thought at too. But Ruger and gunsmith said its somthing in the newer molds. The silver one was manufactured 7/2012 bought 10/2012 and has about 4000 thru it. The new one only a few weeks old and only have put about 500 thru it. And haven't seen the marks yet on the new one. But the trigges cleaned up.

Also ya kinda anal about clean gun, but thats training. And its was a bad day to get caught with a dirty gun. Even by an RSO Lol.

Probably should of add this also... this is the slide on my other 95. See how this has been cut and trimmed at Ruger. This is the newer gun
The rest of them have to touch an electric fence"..... Will Rogers.

Last edited by rotten mick; September 8, 2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old September 8, 2013, 06:24 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

It's not a stressed area. If it bothers you, some careful smoothing with a fine toothed rounded profile file will clean it up.
Old September 9, 2013, 12:07 AM   #10

All good info guys. Mine has a test fire date of 07/30/13 it has been cut and trimmed at the Factory, looks just like Rottenmic's slide in his last pic. . I will get back with a range report this week