The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 7, 2011, 05:22 PM   #1
Hardcase

The Guns of Rango

If you guys haven't seen the movie "Rango" yet, do yourself a favor and take a gander. It's a cute little show and has more than a few send-ups of classic westerns.

What surprised me the most, though, was that I recognized at least a few classic old-west guns in it. I know for sure that I saw a Henry rifle, a Winchester 1887 shotgun and a bunch of 1873s and SAAs - although Rango's SAA had the peculiar feature of a swing-out cylinder AND single action ejector, but, hey, it's a cartoon.

It wouldn't surprise me if the sxs shotguns were Colt 1878s, but it was too hard to tell. Anyway, I got a kick out of the fact that the artists actually took the time to make almost all of the firearms "authentic".

Oh, and if you have an aversion to talking, screaming, crying and other kid-type expulsions, see it during the week at a matinee. Or maybe really late on the weekend. It's a cartoon