The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 1, 2013, 02:23 AM   #1
Daosus

Marlin XT-22 FTE

I have been having problems with a round not ejecting on my Marlin XT-22. It is a magazine fed bolt action, and when the bolt is pulled back the round has not even moved. It is almost as if the extractor hook is not grabbing the rim of the shell, or is letting go as the bolt is rotated (there is a slight backward camming action as the bolt is rotated). The gun has been cleaned and checked, though I could try again if I knew where to look.

I was hoping to get some ideas about where to look for problems. I'd rather not send it back to Marlin, though if I knew where to look I could take it to a local gunsmith.

Thanks for your advice.
Old February 1, 2013, 08:26 AM   #2
aarmel732

I am not a gunsmith, nor do I pretend to be one. I do have an XT-22 and stayed in a holiday inn once. Just a though, the extractor is just spring steel, have you tried giving it a little pressure by bending it in? I noticed on mine that it had some burrs from the stamping process, I took them off before I shot the gun, maybe that would help? Also, mine likes to build up residue in the little extractor channel on the side of the barrel. I know on some of my handguns if that gets gummed up, then they extract funny. Maybe check there.
Old February 1, 2013, 11:05 PM   #3
Daosus

Huh, it never occured to me to take off the extractor. I removed it from the bolt, cleaned everything, and bent it slightly inwards. Hopefully that will help.

Thanks for your advice.
Old July 13, 2013, 10:22 PM   #4
guiltyimnot

I just got an xt-22 for my son and we are having this problem as well. Did bending the extractor correct the problem?
Old July 14, 2013, 01:47 AM   #5
Weatherby Fan

Check for burr on chamber caused by dry firing.
Old July 16, 2013, 11:46 AM   #6
Jimro

I had a similar problem with a Zastava Z5. Had to polish the chamber to fix the issue.

Jimro