The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 7, 2014, 07:31 PM   #1
cryption

XDm vs XDs?

I'm thinking of a full sized pistol. I like the XD line, I have an XD9sc and it's been one of the best guns I've ever owned. I'm doing research between the XDm vs XDs and what the differences are between these two lines of pistol. I'm starting this thread for info from the community, to post up what I find, and to have a searchable thread for others.
Old July 7, 2014, 07:35 PM   #2
cryption

Bit of info: The XD is the full size original. The XDm is really just an improved XD (it has switchable backstraps and larger capacity magazines) and is available in full size, or compact size. The XDsc is the sub compact model of the XD and is smaller than the compact XDm. The XDs is the new compact single-stack .45 or 9mm
Old July 7, 2014, 07:55 PM   #3
Sabrewolfe

Actually, the grip length is almost identical between the XD Subcompact and the XDm Compact. Besides the 'm' series upgrades, the main difference is the barrel length: 3" vs 3.8". If you already have the XD SC, it's minimal change. As far as the XDs, it's not a full size weapon, even in the new 4" model.

If you want a full size, you need to look at the XD Service (4") and either the standard or tactical model XDm's. As far as which, it depends on what you want it for and/or your budget.

"Without logic, reason is useless. With it, you can win arguments and alienate multitudes." - Unknown
Old July 8, 2014, 10:58 PM   #4
SVTCobra306

XDm: 3.8", 4.5",or 5.25" barrel, the 3.8 has a choice of full length grip or a full size grip. The XDm is a double stack pistol. There are a lot of options, standard, tactical, or competition, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, though if you are looking for a carry size, the 3.8 with the compact grip is the way to go, but has fewer options.

XD-S: 3.3" or 4.0" in 9mm and .45 ACP. All are single stack. There is not a .40 S&W option yet (though the back of the paddle holster that Springfield sent lists all three calibers). No big loss in my book.

This should give you a bit of a look at the size difference between the two, left is XD-S .45 3.3", right is an XDm 3.8 in .45ACP with the compact grip, it has the extended 13 round mag installed. Both come with the XD gear pack, and as you can see the foam is modular and can be swapped around for convenient carrying.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Last edited by SVTCobra306; July 10, 2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old July 9, 2014, 03:28 PM   #5
tahunua001

at this point the XD, XDM, and XDS are three very different designs of pistols that really cant be differentiated with two or 3 sentences or in short spurts.

the XD was the original design, originally called the HS2000 when it was designed for the croatian military and initially imported by HS produkt for Springfield Armory to distribute. the HS2000 was only available in 9mm. when the line was expanded to 40S&W and 45ACP, the 2000 was dropped and the gun became the HS9, HS40, and HS45 respectively(they are still called the HS in Croatia where they are manufactured). at the time of the name change Springfield rebranded them XD(for extreme duty) to be more marketable in the US. the XD line expanded to include(for a short time) 357 sig and a line of subcompacts and compacts which are the same overall model with cut grips and shorter slides, and tactical which have the full grips but longer slides.

the XDM came next with a series of upgrades. the triggers are slightly improved, the grip angles were changed to allow a new magazine with higher capacity, and slides were elongated and all of the sharp corners were cut and angled to make it less blocky/glockesque, and as you mentioned, replaceable backstraps to make them better fits for your hand. they couldn't get the new grip angles to work on the 45ACP models so they had to keep the same magazines and ammo capacity in that caliber but they were able to incorporate the grip textures, and all of the other upgrades. the XDM has several different variants. the 4.5" is the standard size, full length grips, full capacity mags, the works in 9mm, 40, and 45. the 5.25 is a long slide target version with adjustable sights available in 9, 40, and 45ACP. the 3.8 compact is a shorter slide and shorter grip than the standard for easier concealment. there is also a standard 3.8" which has the compact slide but the full length grips, this option is only available in 9mm and 40S&W.

the most recent addition to the XD line is the XDS, a thin, single stack version to be very easy for concealment. it originally only came out in 45ACP with a 3.3" barrel. the line was soon expanded to include 9mm. most recently they have released a 4" long slide version in both 9mm and 45ACP.

all XD lines use passive safety devices, or devices disengaged by the intentional motions of firing the weapon, making them slightly safer than some models such as glocks but removing many of the possible points of failure inherent in any mechanical safety(like mag disconnects or manual safety selectors).

Last edited by tahunua001; July 9, 2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old July 10, 2014, 09:20 PM   #6
SVTCobra306

Corrected my post, I had missed the release of the 4" .45 ACP XD-S.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old July 14, 2014, 05:43 AM   #7
RCPractitioner

One other feature to note that might be important to some. The XDm line does not require you to dry fire the pistol for dissasembly such as you have to do with the standard XD's, XDs or Glocks.
Old July 14, 2014, 12:48 PM   #8
tahunua001

does the XDS require pulling the trigger for disassembly?
Old July 15, 2014, 06:42 AM   #9
Nakanokalronin

Quote:
does the XDS require pulling the trigger for disassembly?
Yes, but it doesn't have a roll pin holding in the striker that you have to check once in awhile for wear.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; July 15, 2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old July 21, 2014, 09:17 PM   #10
bricz75

Quote:
all XD lines use passive safety devices, or devices disengaged by the intentional motions of firing the weapon, making them slightly safer than some models such as glocks but removing many of the possible points of failure inherent in any mechanical safety(like mag disconnects or manual safety selectors).
At least one model has the manual safety.
Old July 21, 2014, 09:21 PM   #11
tahunua001

yeah, it used to be a custom shop option, then they released them in limited batches once a year, but now I see with the new site they have up and running that they actually list it now.

I was refering to all standard models on the XD lines(XD, XDS, XDM), not special run guns, I guess that was lie of generalization on my part.
Old July 22, 2014, 07:41 AM   #12
doofus47

It's a tough comparison.

I had an XDM in .40 and I liked it bunches. It held a ridiculous amount of capacity, like 16 I want to say. When loaded, it balanced well. The grip was just a hair too wide for me, though, so I traded it off.
I currently have an XDS in 9 now. It's single stack. The capacity is about half what the full sized xdm carried. I like the sing stack, but the feel at the range is completely different as both the round and the grip are different from the original.
I like the trigger on both, if that's part of your equation.
Old July 24, 2014, 04:48 PM   #13
IdahoG36

I am a big fan of the XDm. In my opinion, they are one of the best polymer pistols available at it's price point.
So far, I own a 3.8 9mm and a 4.5 .45 full size. The 3.8 has the full size frame and compact slide, and feels very well balanced. I prefer it over the 4.5 9mm.
Both guns have been 100% reliable so far. I have done a few upgrades to them so far. The best upgrade is to replace the striker retainer roll pin with one from PRP. It is a coiled steel roll pin vs the stock split roll pin.

My XDm's and XD-S. I ended up getting rid of the XD-S due to reliability concerns. I have since installed a Talon grip and night sights on the 3.8 9mm.

First range trip with my XDm 4.5 .45. This gun is very accurate. These were the first 5 groups that I shot with the gun at 10 yards. These are 10 shot groupings. Lower left was rapid fire.