The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 2, 2013, 02:33 PM   #1
southjk

Range too crowded? Found a solution.

I started getting back into shooting in November and unfortunately ever since the surge in gun purchases the range I've been going to has been PACKED. We'd usually get there at 10am when they opened and there would be an hour wait. We went one afternoon and the wait was an hour and 45 mins. We didn't wait that time. Granted the place is nice and has a gun store and restaurant available while you wait but the waiting is getting old.

So I started researching other avenues available thinking maybe there was a private club I could join if it didn't cost too much. I actually found the opposite. A state run range around the corner from the one we usually go to. It is operated by the Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency and was really nice. We got there before 10am as we tried to go to the other range early and put our name on the list but they wouldn't let us until 10. At the TWRA range there were 14 total lanes and one other shooter there. They were very friendly, clean and thankful we were there. He did say they do get busy in the afternoons as some instructors rent lanes for classes and some police do their qualification shooting there but the mornings seem like a good time to go.

Only downside is that I could always count on buying ammo at the other range (except 22lr right now) but the TWRA range doesn't sell any ammo. I should be stocked up enough for right now as long as I can keep finding 38 and 9mm and my LGS. I'm down do about 1000 22lr right now so I better find some soon.

We will definitely be going back to this range. It is also a little cheaper.
Old February 3, 2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Bart Noir

I can keep the crowding problem under control at my club's outdoor pistol range.

I just start banging away with real black powder and the stink keeps lanes clear on both sides

Bart Noir
Old February 3, 2013, 04:26 PM   #3
2ndsojourn

I like the smell of gunpowder in the morning.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Crankgrinder

Here we have a range if you go to in the afternoon on sat/sun you might as well forget it. I started going on sunday before 8 am (30 min. after dawn is the regulation) not a soul there whole range to myself to pick up brass as i please save a few old timers down at the rifle range from time to time.
Old February 3, 2013, 09:00 PM   #5
MagnumWill

There' always zero wait time up in the mountains
Old February 3, 2013, 09:09 PM   #6
8MM Mauser

I used to work 2nd shift, and when I was on break from school I would always g to the range on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. I may as well have been shooting on the moon! It was always serenely quite. I loved to shoot my rifle at those times because the environment was so similar to a hunting scenario, isolated and alone in the middle of the woods.

Now I'm stuck going on Saturday and Sunday mornings and it's always a wait usually followed by leaving earlier than I would like too because I feel to bad making others wait. It's a good way to make friends though, I've shot clays with some random people a couple of times.

The range is generally where I meet the nicest people.
Old February 4, 2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Greguw

A lot of the range attendance is dropping off in my area , the cost and finding ammo is keeping people away .
I'm shooting a lot more .22 these days , I belong to a indoor range , have the chance to move to a larger range but not sure if it will be worth going , I don't want to deplete too much of my ammo .
Old February 4, 2013, 07:01 PM   #8
osbornk

Quote:
There' always zero wait time up in the mountains
I live in the mountains so I just have to walk out my door if I don't want to shoot from my deck.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:44 AM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The range where I shoot is never ever crowded... Unless you count the wait time I endure as I wait for the yard dogs to quit playin' by the targets...

If I want to expedite, i just step out, cycle the action on the Mossberg 500 and ask loudly and with irritation in my voice...

"OKAY WHICH ONE OF YOU MANGY MUTTS IS GUILTY OF SOMETHING???"...

The immediacy of their ceasing to play is incredible and the range is immediately open...

Brent
Old February 6, 2013, 07:08 PM   #10
bigghoss

I'm thinking about joining a rang here in town that has a keypad so members have access 24/7. I work gaveyard shift so I have 3-4 nights a week, some weeknights, when I can be out all night until the sun comes up. I bet the range will be pretty empty then.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:32 PM   #11
KO3422

My brother and I just shoot in adjacent lanes with SBR's with brakes all day long. We always seems to have a bunch of empty lanes near us.