The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 20, 2011, 01:38 PM   #1
Civil War Life

Bringing a Luger into the US

Not sure if this is the proper forum for this but hope someone who may have some experience with this can answer my question.

I have a friend in Europe who has a WW I Luger that he is willing to sell me. If I travel to Europe and buy this gun, can I bring it back with me. I assume the gun will be packed in a locked metal shipping case and placed in my checked luggage. What can I expect upon arrival in the US? I live in Virginia and I will be flying to Virginia. Thanks for any advise.
Old March 20, 2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Technosavant

It can be done, but it will take some work. I don't know if a regular private citizen can do it or if you will need a FFL to handle part of it.

http://atf.gov/firearms/how-to/impor...ts-of-war.html
Old March 21, 2011, 11:09 PM   #3
kilimanjaro

You can do it legally, but it's an importation process, I believe. Get with the BATFE and work it out. Don't expect to be able to personally carry it into the country, I think it needs to be shipped as freight with all the Customs attention and paperwork requirements.