The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 18, 2014, 06:19 AM   #1
davidmichael45

New to semi auto- which gun would be the best?

Im looking to buy me a gun and im new to guns and everything and would like someones opinion.

These are the 3 im looking at. I really am looking to buy a .40 and 9mm
1. SAR B6P 9MM i can get this new for $241.33...
2. Canik s-120 all black $318.95-chrome $343.15
3. Eaa Witness ps polymer model 999048 .40 cal $279.99

are the canik and sar about the same identical guns? which in you're opinion are better? i know EAA distributes them and turkey makes both guns.. plus the $241 is a steal...

On the witness gun i havent heard about crack frames on the .40 cal so i should be ok with this one..

any advice would be greatly appreciated....im new to this forum also.
Old July 18, 2014, 06:37 AM   #2
RX-79G

I honestly think the SAR might be the best bet. It is about the same gun as the poly Witness in a better caliber for general use. The SAR guns are generally extremely accurate and well made. Supposed to have good triggers.

Nothing wrong with the Canik, but I do think the SAR plant does better work. AND, the SAR could be sold for more than you paid for it, while the Canik is at market price.

In the end, all of these are okay. Consider the cost and availability of appropriate magazines, too. For a first pistol that you are unlikely to keep until you die, I like the idea of the most gun for the cash so you can discover what you like and dislike without buyer's remorse.
Old July 18, 2014, 07:58 AM   #3
lee n. field

Quote:
Im looking to buy me a gun and im new to guns and everything and would like someones opinion.

These are the 3 im looking at. I really am looking to buy a .40 and 9mm
1. SAR B6P 9MM i can get this new for $241.33...
2. Canik s-120 all black $318.95-chrome $343.15
3. Eaa Witness ps polymer model 999048 .40 cal $279.99
What's your budget?

What's the purpose of what you're wanting to acquire?

Why these three?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 18, 2014, 08:10 AM   #4
Dirty_Harry

Why dont you spend a little extra money and get something that is proven, like a Glock, Beretta, M&P or FNS?

Also, if your new to handguns, stay away from .40's. They are a lot snappier than a 9.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old July 18, 2014, 08:33 AM   #5
Skans

I like the Witness Elite; I have a Tanfoglio Stock 10mm which I love. I'd probably be ok with the Witness polymer. Have heard good things about it.
Old July 18, 2014, 09:25 AM   #6
TXAZ

Hi David Michael,
Welcome. If you haven't at least held each of these, and hopefully fired them, I'd strongly suggest doing so before you buy. What feels good for my hand may not be good for you. Lots of good advice here, but please try them first.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 18, 2014, 10:05 AM   #7
TailGator

Welcome aboard.

Most shooters rank the recoil of the three most-used defensive calibers as 9 mm being softest, .45 being next, and .40 being the harshest. There are a lot of variables in that, including the pistol, the character of the recoil (snappy vs a "push," which is often the way the .45 is described), and the shooter's perception. The .40 has a lot of fans, but being new to shooting you should probably shoot a .40 and a 9 mm from similar pistols before you buy a .40.

Like an earlier post, I would be interested in knowing how you plan to use your new pistol and what you found attractive about these three pistols that got them on your short list. With that information, the many knowledgeable folks here can likely suggest other pistols that might interest you.
Old July 18, 2014, 10:06 AM   #8
Ruger480

I have the Witness Poly in 10mm. I like it better than my Sig 40 (which I traded)!!

As TailGator said, the 40 has some stiff recoil. My 10mm seems to have less recoil than the Sig did.
Old July 18, 2014, 10:15 AM   #9
davidmichael45

I have a high point .45 that shoots very smooth with very little kick to it. I am looking at these 3 guns because i have read great reviews on these especially the b6p and canik...

the price range of less than $350.00 and i just want it for protection and shooting from time to time.
Old July 18, 2014, 10:25 AM   #10
Dirty_Harry

For $50 more you can get a good used Glock.....

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old July 18, 2014, 10:37 AM   #11
davidmichael45

well i also have read they blow up in you're hands... glock is a good gun for sure but i have read bad reviews on them also. i dont want a used gun....
Old July 18, 2014, 12:31 PM   #12
Dirty_Harry

So you dont trust a Glock, the most popular handgun in the world, but you will trust something under $300?

What planet do you come from?

Glock's had a bad rap with some 40's, but I have never heard of a 9mm or a 45 glock blowing up......ever.

Old July 18, 2014, 12:45 PM   #13
TXAZ

Glock is a great gun for the price (although I'm a Beretta / Sig guy, not a Glock fan), and you can get an excellent deal as noted above on Glocks for just under $400.
It will hold its value well, and a lot of the negative press is elite-ism from non plastic guys.
But please try whatever you want before buying.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 18, 2014, 01:58 PM   #14
davidmichael45

So you dont trust a Glock, the most popular handgun in the world, but you will trust something under $300?

What planet do you come from?

Glock's had a bad rap with some 40's, but I have never heard of a 9mm or a 45 glock blowing up......ever.

Its not that i dont trust a glock... i never even fired one. The sar b6p are made in turkey by a company thats started making guns in 1888 i believe. all the reviews i have read are high reviews about this sar b6p semi automatic gun.. paying more dones not make it a better gun. take C.F. Martin guitars for example.. greatest guitar company around.. but, BLUERIDGE br160A guitars are just as better a sounding guitar than martin that cost 2 times less money.. but the blueridge dont have a martin name. just like the sar dont have a glock name on it... But, would i trust a gun from builders that have been making guns for over a century? i think i would.. But glocks are great guns. my brother has a glock.45.......
Old July 18, 2014, 03:02 PM   #15
NorwegianShooter

Can´t stand the grip angle on Glocks. Not the mushy striker fire trigger either. However, they are the Toyotas of the gun world. Gotta giv´em that.

Out of the 3, I´d take the Witness, but if I were to point you to something cheap, but good, I´d take a look at CZ´s or even the IMI Jericho if you want some extra bling. The Cz SP-01 is arguably the most "bang for your buck" you can find. All steel. Will last until Ragnarok.
Old July 18, 2014, 03:16 PM   #16
peggysue

Of the gun you listed I think the SAR B6P 9MM would be the best. Every review says they are flawless and for that price you can get a good holster and lots of 9MM ammo.
Old July 18, 2014, 03:34 PM   #17
Hurryin' Hoosier

CZ 75 Compact.
Old July 18, 2014, 03:51 PM   #18
JORZAC

What DirtyHarry and Txaz said. You say you don't want a used gun? Is this for reliability issues or just personal bias? I would take a used Glock, Sig, Ruger, CZ, HK, Beretta or S&W (in no particular order) over any of your listed choices. Theyre all better guns. Not knocking your choices just stating my opinion.
Old July 18, 2014, 05:23 PM   #19
sigarms228

A SIG SP2022 for $379.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...022-9-tss.html
Old July 18, 2014, 07:32 PM   #20
DA/SA Fan

Quote:
What DirtyHarry and Txaz said. You say you don't want a used gun? Is this for reliability issues or just personal bias? I would take a used Glock, Sig, Ruger, CZ, HK, Beretta or S&W (in no particular order) over any of your listed choices. Theyre all better guns. Not knocking your choices just stating my opinion.
Better, how? You can't just make a statement as though it's fact without giving some sort of reasoning. It' has a nicer name? It shoots magic bullets? They cost more? Why?
Old July 18, 2014, 07:51 PM   #21
Dirty_Harry

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! If you dont buy that steal there is no hope for you.

Old July 18, 2014, 09:18 PM   #22
franco45

Yup, you don't want one of those unproven Sar Arms pistols. They've only been manufacturing guns for 125 years. I owned a B6P and it was a great gun. The only reason I no longer have it is because I'm left handed. It is sa only and doesn't have an ambi safety or a decocker.
Old July 19, 2014, 12:54 AM   #23
RX-79G

Quote:
Why dont you spend a little extra money and get something that is proven, like a Glock, Beretta, M&P or FNS?
How is an M&P "proven". Proven inaccurate, or proven prone to break?
Old July 19, 2014, 09:28 AM   #24
ritepath

There's always the original CZ75. You can get the CZ 75B for under 5 bills.

Good choice going with the hammer fired pistols. The SP2022 is also a great choice and would be my #1 before your three.

Of the ones you listed the Witness and Sar should be GTG.

Congrats on not following the "there's only one" crowd.

Of course the M&P is also a great striker fired choice, my two have been dead solid perfect through thousands of rounds. Accurate, reliable and wonderful feeling in the hand.
Old July 19, 2014, 09:59 AM   #25
whip1

I'd save my money and buy a better gun. Better being defined as a name brand maker with a good reputation and a maker that has readily available parts and accessories. You can get extra mags for a Glock for about $20.00. What do extra mags for the above guns cost? How easy are they to find? What about holsters?