The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 3, 2012, 08:04 PM   #1
Dr Big Bird PhD

AR 15 6.8 scope/red dot help

So i recently decided on an AR15 build I'm currently in the process of creating. However, I have a few questions about optics. First thing's first, back up iron sights. I already know what I'm getting for standard target practice. However, on top of my irons, I want to get a good scope for midsize game hunting like elk or white tail. It would preferably have red dot optic capabilities, adjustable zooms, and a minimum x3 setting.
For a point of reference ive considered the eotech HHS II. However, this is out of my price range and I've never been hunting with that type of "scope"/magnifier. I'd really just like something that would fill that similar function even if it is a different product altogether.
Ideas?
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old November 3, 2012, 09:09 PM   #2
schwarzwildabknaller

6.8 spc for elk?

I read with interest your post asking about optics to match iron sights on an AR15 in 6.8 SPC. I'm having two AR15 uppers in 6.8, one with standard length barrel, the other a Dissipator model with 18" barrel, fitted with Osprey piston conversion kits, and will be interested in what others post on the subject. However, I also have to wonder about your choice of 6.8 SPC for elk hunting. In '93 I took a 15-year-old bull in Germany with a Remington 7400 in 35 Whelen (handload with a Nosler 250 gr. Partition), and despite good shot placement (heart area), the elk ran about 80 meters before expiring. An elk hunting guide/outfitter might require a more powerful cartridge than a 6.8.
Old November 4, 2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Dr Big Bird PhD

The point of having a 6.8 ar15 is so I could have an interchangeable 5.56 upper receiver.

Anyway, I was doing more research. Barska Scopes are within my price range and I think i found the 2x7 or 3x9 I was looking for. Do they quality products for their price range though?
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor