The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 25, 2012, 01:02 AM   #1
380acp

Is a nef pump worth the money>?

I was planing on buying a Remington 870 but started wounding if that was a smart idea as the sales man said the nef is a clone and the part are the same? So I be saving 100 buck over the Remington.. That is a lot of shell. Or are they junk? I lost here I thought for the longest time Clinton ban chinese firearms over a trade deal or something..
Old March 25, 2012, 02:59 AM   #2
TheKlawMan

The H&R Pump just isn't the 870 even if most parts are interchangeable. I don't recall for sure but do not believe that barrrels are interchangeable.
Old March 25, 2012, 03:04 AM   #3
Sigsomers

nef pump worth the money?

I would look into the Mossberg 500 series for home defense.

Sig Somers
Old March 25, 2012, 06:52 AM   #4
jaguarxk120

It's good you are asking for information from different source's. Salesmen know enough to get their hands on your money and thats all.

There are many times they (salesmen) make statements that are totally false just to get the sale.
Old March 25, 2012, 08:01 AM   #5
TDodge7

The nef is a good shotgun, some parts are made thicker and tougher than the 870 parts they're copied from. And you can use 870 accessories EXCEPT the barrel is not the same as an 870 barrel, the lug is in a different spot. Nef never seems to have spare barrels (been calling them for months and months, and some people on other forums have been trying for over a year) so make sure you buy the one with the barrel you want. Aside from that they're excellent, the parkerized finish leaves a little to be desired but at under $200 what do you expect. If you need a reliable beat around shotgun that you won't worry if you scratch get the nef, if you want a nice shotgun to keep around for a long time then spend a few extra bucks on something nicer.
Old March 25, 2012, 08:09 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

For about the same money as a new NEF, and sometimes less, you can pick up a USED American pump with a proven track record, all of which will last longer than you will.

Parts, if needed and they rarely are, for an 870, 500, 1300, 37,etc, will be around for decades.

Parts for a Third World clone may not be around next week.

Maybe 5 years back, an importer company named Charles Daly was importing sundry pumps and autos made in Turkey. Prices were good, quality was fair. Daly ceased operations and their guns now have no parts support, period.

Buy American.....
Old March 25, 2012, 10:02 AM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Dave McC says exactly what I try to say but I always seem to come across crass or less diplomatic and tactful...

Brent
Old March 25, 2012, 10:13 AM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Grunge, For two hundred bones I would doubt it is "parkerized" probably like the rem express... it is an unfinished smoothing job that is then blued...

I might be wrong as I do not do my homework on products I have no desire to own etc...

Brent
Old March 25, 2012, 02:39 PM   #9
TheKlawMan

Hogdogs is right. It is not parkerized.
Old March 25, 2012, 03:36 PM   #10
380acp

Wow.. Well I guess I am buying made in the USA. I want it as a home duty gun for if something goes bumb in the night. I picked shotgun as I don't have or want a long gun as I am a pistol shooter. But feel it be handed to have is something. Plus a shotgun and fire a lot of ammo "bird, buck,slugs" I just always heard that the 870 was just about unkillable so that what I looked for. Are the moss burg 500 just as tuff? Are a lot of after market stocks and grips for it out?
Old March 25, 2012, 07:17 PM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The 500 may not hold up under high round count use, but none of us is likely to live long enough to know.

I've been shotgunning since Ike was Prez, and I've yet to see a worn out 500.

Still, I prefer the 870. Ford/Chevy/Dodge. Pick the one that feels best.

Aftermarket stuff for the 500 is almost as varied as that for the 870.

In trained hands, either one is a darn good choice for a defensive weapon.