The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 17, 2011, 06:01 PM   #1
Speedy Warrior

The new 28ga. Judge

So it was announced at shot show today that a 28ga. Judge will be available soon. I am posting it here for two reasons,
1. How is this legal and not a sbs?
2. Would it be possible or should I say legal to make a 12ga. pistol without making a sbs?

Please correct me if I am wrong but I understand the laws to state that a pistol cannot have a dia. over .50” and must have a rifled barrel. If the barrel is unrifled then it is classified as a shotgun. Please help as I am very confused.

-Thomas Jefferson
Old January 17, 2011, 06:06 PM   #2
oneounceload

if it has a rifled barrel, it is not a SBS, it is a handgun - how it will be allowed to be imported without handgun ammo is another question
Old January 17, 2011, 06:46 PM   #3
bigghoss

my guess is they got an exemption similar to big game rifles over .50
Old January 17, 2011, 07:28 PM   #4
gyvel

Well, 28 gauge equates to a .550" bore, which, assuming the "Judge" is rifled, is going to make it a "destructive device" according to ATF definition.
Old January 18, 2011, 12:25 AM   #5
PTK

Yeah, I can't figure it out either. They're not getting those into the country en masse, though.
Old January 18, 2011, 12:51 AM   #6
kozak6

It can't be an SBS, as it's likely never had a shoulder stock attached.

I'm thinking there's two main possibilities. It could possibly an AOW, and they are hoping the $5 transfer helps with the sting of NFA silliness, or somehow they swung a sporting purposes exemption.
Old January 18, 2011, 03:01 AM   #7
David Hineline

I'm thinking there's two main possibilities. It could possibly an AOW, and they are hoping the $5 transfer helps with the sting of NFA silliness, or somehow they swung a sporting purposes exemption.

Can't be that imported NFA firearms are Law Enf/Govment Agency only.
Old January 18, 2011, 08:59 AM   #8
kozak6

I know Taurus imports some of their revolvers with longer barrels to get past the point system and then chops them once they get off the dock.

It might be possible for the 28 gauge to have a more importable configuration, and then be reconfigured stateside.
Old January 18, 2011, 01:09 PM   #9
PTK

...which would still make it NFA as an AOW. They'd have to put a 21" barrel on it (mostly liner after the shroud) and then chop nearly all of it off to make it a pistol.

Are we SURE CTD isn't just making things up again?
Old January 18, 2011, 04:43 PM   #10
David Hineline

My guess is that they squeezed the bore down to .499
Old January 18, 2011, 06:13 PM   #11
bigghoss

OR they got an exemption from the ATF. there are rifles with bores over .50 that have been granted exemptions and can be bought and sold just like anything else.
Old January 18, 2011, 10:36 PM   #12
Ronbo1

Judge

Found a picture of the 28Ga

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves

Abraham Lincoln
Old January 19, 2011, 06:51 PM   #13
Cannon

Quote:
OR they got an exemption from the ATF. there are rifles with bores over .50 that have been granted exemptions and can be bought and sold just like anything else.
Except there's absolutely no precedent for ATF doing so with handguns, as far as I know. Bowen discusses jumping through the ATF hoops to register his 577 Redhawk as a DD.

Smoothbore pistols are AOW's, regardless of bore; rifled pistols with a bore over .5" are DD's

I'm really curious about this.
Old January 19, 2011, 11:28 PM   #14
chewie146

.410/.45 and 29 gauge

Hey all,

There is something to remember. The .410/.45 is more a coincidence than a design. People have been chambering .410 in .454, etc. before the Taurus Judge. The 28 gauge shotgun, as you mentioned, is bigger than .50 caliber. However, that is solely the nominal diameter of the barrel in a shotgun, and not the actual size of the wad/projectiles coming out of the shell. The diameter of a 28 gauge wad may very well be within the .50 cal limit, and that plastic shell could easily measure .025 inches on the "case wall" for an additional .05 inches in diameter. Chamber diameter is unrestricted, as far as I know.
Old January 19, 2011, 11:36 PM   #15
jimbob86

My thoughts:

IF

...... you are going to waste $400 bucks on this.... thing...... why not waste another $200, and do the paperwork, so it would actually..... you know ..... WORK?!?!?!?!

The rifling that makes it "legal" also makes the shot pattern lousy: shot hits everything but what you actually point the damn thing at!
Old January 23, 2011, 02:54 AM   #16
gyvel

Quote:
410/.45 and 29 gauge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all,

There is something to remember. The .410/.45 is more a coincidence than a design. People have been chambering .410 in .454, etc. before the Taurus Judge. The 28 gauge shotgun, as you mentioned, is bigger than .50 caliber. However, that is solely the nominal diameter of the barrel in a shotgun, and not the actual size of the wad/projectiles coming out of the shell. The diameter of a 28 gauge wad may very well be within the .50 cal limit, and that plastic shell could easily measure .025 inches on the "case wall" for an additional .05 inches in diameter. Chamber diameter is unrestricted, as far as I know.
You bring up a very valid point, but, does BATF define a "destructive device" by the diameter of the projectile or the bore diameter?
Old January 23, 2011, 02:30 PM   #17
smince

Quote:
yesterday PM they moved against Taurus on the 28-gauge Raging Judge revolver and the Rossi .410 "mare's leg" style carbine. Neither of the Taurus guns are in production, so the ATF move essentially prohibits production of those guns as anything other than, I believe, an AOW Controlled weapon, with the paperwork and $5 tax.
http://michaelbane.blogspot.com/2011...-shotguns.html
Old January 23, 2011, 03:59 PM   #18
GunCat

Jimbob86 wrote:

The rifling that makes it "legal" also makes the shot pattern lousy: shot hits everything but what you actually point the damn thing at!

What defines "rifling" ? * Land and grooves vs. Smooth bore?

What if a bore has straight lands and grooves (no rotation?)

( *I am asking because I do not know the answer as it relates to the NFA/AOW laws )
Hardships are quickly forgotten. Intense heat, bitter cold, rain and snow, fatigue, and luckless hunting fade quickly into memories of great fellowship, thoughts of beautiful country, pleasant camps, and happy campfires.
Fred Bear 1902-1988
Old January 23, 2011, 05:19 PM   #19
Pukindog

28 Gauge Judge

Just received notice from Guns America taurus removed the 28 gauge Judge from the booth and will not produce it.

Jeff
Old January 24, 2011, 07:27 PM   #20
EVERLAST

wow...........

Talk about crash and burn...
and it was just play by play reading the thread.

cool

E
Old January 25, 2011, 04:10 AM   #21
kozak6

I wish I knew why Taurus thought they'd be able to slip it by.

And I wish I knew *exactly* why the BATFE zapped it.

There's a lot of speculation, but that's about it.
Old January 25, 2011, 10:42 AM   #22
Speedy Warrior

Well kozak I would have to guess the BATFE stoppped it because it is in clear violation of well esablished rules. But I too wish to know how/why Taurus thought this would be ok.

-Thomas Jefferson
Old January 25, 2011, 11:17 AM   #23
Glenn E. Meyer

Failure of judgement?

Who knows. One would think that they would figure this out - or maybe they thought they could get a little more PR for their entire Judge line with this gun?
Old January 25, 2011, 02:01 PM   #24
kaylorinhi

Maybe they made it just test the BATFE, or see if they get it by!
Old January 25, 2011, 02:02 PM   #25
Poodleshooter

Quote:
What defines "rifling" ? * Land and grooves vs. Smooth bore?

What if a bore has straight lands and grooves (no rotation?)
It's not defined as either that I can find. So either would constitute rifling I would assume.
Straight lands and grooves are already used in Hastings barrels (called "Wadlock" IIRC). AOWs can't have rifling by definition, unless they are a pistol or revolver modified with a vertical firing grip.

The Raging Judge in its configuration as displayed would be a DD unless the secretary of the treasury decided that it had a sporting purpose under the exception for shotguns. This is already done for shotguns sold with rifled barrels, for example, which don't otherwise fit the ATF definition of shotguns (having a smooth bore).

Remember, all shotguns over .5" bore can be redefined as "non-sporting" at will by the the Sec of the Treasury, at which point they become DDs. This is how ATF "redefined" the Striker 12. Rifling is irrelevant to the DD law.