The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 8, 2009, 09:42 PM   #1
jgcoastie

Which States???

Anybody know if their state waives the CCL training requirement for Active Duty Military members?

Edit: Provided the AD member can provide proof of weapons training.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 8, 2009, 09:44 PM   #2
ISC

Fl does. You just need a copy of your DD214.
Old September 8, 2009, 10:14 PM   #3
cliff987

Oregon does as long as the DD214 shows small arms training.
Old September 8, 2009, 11:30 PM   #4
Mello2u

Georgia has no training requirement, therefor no need for a waiver.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old September 8, 2009, 11:45 PM   #5
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

To comply with Idaho's training requirements, veterans need only to show a copy of their DD-214 or your discharge. Active service members need only show your military ID. The only caveat, is that a DD will disqualify you from a CWP (18-3302(1)(g)).

Moving to L&CR.
Old September 9, 2009, 06:58 AM   #6
wally626

Virginia also accepts discharge papers for a CHP
Old September 9, 2009, 07:13 AM   #7
rwilson452

PA has no training requirement.
Old September 9, 2009, 10:10 AM   #8
thallub

OK does.
Old September 9, 2009, 10:52 AM   #9
KenW.

You don't get a DD214 until you are separated from the military, and then you are no longer active duty.

In Utah the only requirement is classroom. Range time is at the option of the instructer.
Old September 9, 2009, 11:38 AM   #10
KSFreeman

Indiana: what's a "training requirement"?
Old September 9, 2009, 03:03 PM   #11
THEZACHARIAS

Last I read, CO just needs a copy of your most recent weapons qualification form.
Old September 9, 2009, 07:38 PM   #12
jgcoastie

Quote:
The only caveat, is that a DD will disqualify you from a CWP (18-3302(1)(g)).
A dishonorable discharge prevents you from owning a firearm period correct? Doesn't the firearm form (4473?) include a question regarding dismissal under other than honorable conditions?
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 9, 2009, 09:05 PM   #13
vranasaurus

A dishonorable discharge is the only discharge that disqualifies you from owning a firearm.

This requirement is a bit redundant as a DD is generally only authorized for offenses that are punishable by more than a year in prison. They also may only be adjudged by a general court martial which are the only courts martial authorized to adjudge more than a year of confinement.

A bad conduct discharge is adjudged by either a special or general court martial. A bad conduct discharge does not prohibit firearm ownership unless the offense you were convicted of is punishable by more than a year of confinement.

An other than honorable conditions discharge is an administrative discharge usually issued for misconduct. It can only be imposed, at least in the army, after an administrative hearing before a board of officers or a waiver of the right to a board. It is the most severe characterization that may be imposed administratively. An OTH discharge does not disqualify a person from firearm ownership. It will disqualify someone from almost all VA benefits and federal jobs but not firearm ownership.
Old September 9, 2009, 09:52 PM   #14
jgcoastie

Good thing I'm looking at an honorable discharge in about 25 more years (I'd like 30+ total). Anything less just seems like a hassle.
Old September 9, 2009, 10:30 PM   #15
jfrey123

Don't know who does, but I know Nevada does NOT allow anyone to skip the class/live fire requirement for a CCW. No permit however is required for OC.
Old September 10, 2009, 12:21 AM   #16
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

The question asked, was related to the requirements of servicemen, specifically, active duty servicemen.

What I quoted from 18-3302(1)(g) I.C. was the list of prohibited persons. Is it redundant? Perhaps, but that's the law, as written.

The last sentence (before the sub clauses begin) from Title 18, Chapter 33, Section 2 clause 1 reads: The citizen’s constitutional right to bear arms shall not be denied to him, unless he: which then goes on for sub-clauses (a) through (n). The sub-clause I paraphrased (g), contained the DD exception to the Idaho RKBA. It was relevant to the next part that I wrote.

In clause 13, it lists the types of requirements that a Sheriff may require of you, in order to show familiarity of a firearm, so long as you, the applicant, get to choose which method you want to demonstrate firearms familiarity. Sub-clauses (a) through (g) list the statutory requirements. Of that, relevant to the question, sub-clause (e) states: Presents evidence or equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service; That last part means your DD-214, your Discharge (but not a DD) or your Active Duty ID.

If I had put all of that in my original post on this thread, I'm betting that the same ones that are complaining about including the DD clause, would now say I'm too anal. For the record, this can all be found here.

Sheesh!
Old September 10, 2009, 12:28 AM   #17
armsmaster270

However an active duty can still obtain a DD214 for prior enlistments.
Old September 10, 2009, 01:27 AM   #18
jgcoastie

Antipitas,
I wasn't flaming, just seeking more understanding. Thanks for the info.
Old September 10, 2009, 11:18 AM   #19
RMD

Colorado requirements:

(h) Demonstrates competence with a handgun by submitting:

(I) Evidence of experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competitions or current military service;

(III) Proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the United States armed forces within the three years preceding submittal of the application;

(IV) Proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the United States armed forces that reflects pistol qualifications obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application;

In my county, both "DD2-14" & "Active Duty Orders" as listed as acceptable.
Old September 11, 2009, 11:00 AM   #20
44 AMP
Staff

Washington

No training requirements. Fill out the forms, get prints, pay the money, wait a few weeks (usually 2-3 in the eastern side of the state), get permit in mail.

Simple, virtually hassle free, in the side of the state not run by blissninnys with brains rusted shut. Over there, I don't know. The law is the same, but how they treat you might be different. Seattle is a strange place,
Old September 12, 2009, 05:16 PM   #21
scorpion_tyr

Texas and Florida for sure.
Old September 14, 2009, 06:46 AM   #22
iiwas

Does anyone know if there is an exception for Active Duty from Wisconsin? last I heard there is still no Concealed Carry. Im stationed in KS and will be returning to Riley in about 2 weeks from a year "vacation" in SWA. I'd like to get an update if possible. Thanks.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.
Mark Twain
Old September 19, 2009, 06:45 AM   #23
srt 10 jimbo

I found out after I took the class. Oh well, was only 50 bucks and was a nice refresher course.