The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 14, 2009, 01:50 PM   #1
shacklefordrusty

M48 Barrel Question

I have an M48 Mauser that I ordered a replacement barrel for. The local gunsmith is telling me it's not an M48 barrel because there is no extractor slot cut in it. The vendor tells me it is an M48 barrel.

What's my next step? Thanks.

Last edited by shacklefordrusty; July 14, 2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old July 17, 2009, 11:48 AM   #2
F. Guffey

I do not know about your gunsmith, first I would check head space before removing the old barrel, then I would check case protrusion and compare the protrusion on the replacement barrel, then screw the barrel into the receiver with the bolt installed, if the barrel face hit the extractor I would measure the gap between the shoulder at the end of the threads and the receiver face, this would tell me the the depth of the extractor groove to be cut. I do not know if the rifle is going to be kept in a military configuration, if so the sights must be aligned or indexed by cutting the barrel face and shoulder at the end of the threads, make sure the face of the barrel contacts the 'C' ring before the shoulder at the end of the threads contact the face of the receiver, I have one M48 barrel that has a recess cut for the 'C' ring and an extractor cut.

torque the barrel without the bpolt installed, mark the position of the barrel/receiver, mark the barrel for the extractor groove, remove, cut the groove then install and align the index.

Lee's gun parts in Irving, TX. has a pile of receivers and barrels for the M48, open Tu.,Wd., and Th..

F. Guffey
Old July 17, 2009, 12:56 PM   #3
Scorch

Your gunsmith is mistaken. Mausers do not have extractor notches cut into the barrel. The extractor fits into a cutout in the flange that runs around the inside of the action. The barrel seats flush against this flange. I would find another gunsmith, personally.
Old July 17, 2009, 07:22 PM   #4
DnPRK

What Scorch said. Mauser 98 type rifles have been around for 110 years. If he doesn't know something that basic, he is not a good gunsmith. Find someone else to change your barrel.
Old July 17, 2009, 10:40 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Sorry guys, but the gunsmith is correct to a point. You are right about Mauser 98 rifles, but as I keep saying, the M48 is not a standard Model 98 action and it does have an extractor cut in the barrel in addition to the cut through the internal collar.

Where he is wrong is that the extractor cut doesn't come on a new barrel; its position has to be located after the barrel has been installed, aligned and chambered for proper headspace (with the extractor off the bolt). Then the barrel is scribed, removed, the extractor cut made, and reinstalled. (The factory gauged the barrel for proper alignment before installation, but the gunsmith does not have those gauges.)

Jim

Tags
m48 barrel , mauser