The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 26, 2002, 08:29 PM   #1
larryw

Swapping bullets in loaded cartridges

I have 50 loaded 30-06 cartridges that I want to swap the bullets. I know: :rollseyes:

I loaded these using Speer 165gr SP bullets and the accuracy is OK, but on a whim I recently tried the same load using Hornady 165gr SST bullets and the accuracy is great.

Can I just yank the bullets using a collet and reload the cases (powder load is already correct: 57.5gr H4350), or do I need to resize the neck once a bullet has already been seated?

thanks,
Larry
Old November 26, 2002, 09:00 PM   #2
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Larry you shouldn't have to resize. I have pulled bullets and re-seated them without resizing the neck.

I am not sure because I do not have my manual handy but it the powder charge is lets say 5% or so below maximum it should be safe. If it's close to maximum I would recover the powder and recharge the cases with a lighter load. The 2 bullets SHOULD take the same charge but differences in jacket hardness, bearing surface etc. could affect pressures. Better safe than sorry.
Old November 26, 2002, 10:57 PM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Carlyle,

Sounds like he's already tried out the new load. Good to mention it though.

larryw,

I don't see a problem with what you're suggesting - pulling with a collet puller. I've never used one, but suspect it's a "non-intrusive" method that doesn't dump the powder from the case.

If so, pull the old & stuff in the new. Should be straight forward.

I've always used the hammer-type kinetic pullers & the powder's dumped into the puller head & sometimes some spills everywhere else. I just save the powder into a bowl (whatever) & end up having to reweigh/throw the charges. Part o' the deal.
Old November 27, 2002, 01:13 AM   #4
larryw

Thanks guys.

I tried this load with the new bullets to make sure everything is kosher.

I've used the hammer pullers and they're great, but I want to be able to maintain the charge so I'll be using a trick I read about elsewhere:

I load using a Dillon 550 press. I can put the loaded cartridge in the shell plate, raise it so the bullet passes through the toolhead (remove die first) and grab the bullet with pliers. When I lower the plate, the bullet is pulled and the charge is untouched. Works like a charm, although it is kinda hard on bullets. As its less than $5 in bullets getting trashed, compared to an hour of my time pulling and reloading, the bullets bear the brunt.

And Carlyle, I want to join you at your hunting camp; sounds like you have everything a hunter would need (I'll bring a fistfull of dollar bills ).
Old November 27, 2002, 12:17 PM   #5
Freightman

I pull down all of my Turk ammo as I do not like the hard recoil and I pull the bullets and the scaring is very little.
I have found that very few of the Turk ammo is the same charge and pulling them down and loading them back with a consistant charge is a big help in accuracy.
Old November 27, 2002, 01:18 PM   #6
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I use a lot of bullets that are military "pull downs" in my ought sixes............never noticed a big problem with them.

Larry...............they had this long legged, big errrrrrrrr chested blonde there one time that rated a FIVE DOLLAR BILL !

Now that's something special to this tight coonass! LOL
Old November 27, 2002, 05:19 PM   #7
WIL TERRY

YEARS AGO WE USTA BUY CANADIAN 9MM BALL AMMO FOR

THIRTY BUCKS PER M[ THATS 1000 TO YOU METRIC K-BOYS ]
It was boxer primed, non-corrosive, and loaded to the firewall. We would pull the 115gr FMJ bullets and replace them with 9MM 108gr flatpoint SUPER VEL bullets. These were killin' bullets and I don't mean maybe. I never slapped one or two of 'em through anything that didn't fall down and stay real still.
Old November 28, 2002, 02:46 PM   #8
Rokchukrslave

One thing you need to check is the seating depth of the new bullet. Just because they are the same bullet weight doesn't mean that they have the same shape. Of course this only applies if you are at or near the lands. Mag length don't worry about it.

BTW, I Mexican Matched some Sierra 150gr HPBT's with Hirtenberger Surplus ammo(.308) and managed a 589 out of 600 at a local 600yd prone match with my Palma rifle. Wouldn't do it again but it was suprising. Good practice ammo for 300yds though.