The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 2014, 03:20 PM   #1
cw308

First time for everything

Just started using the Redding F/L Type S Bushing Die. Placed the first clean fired lubed case into the shell holder, raised the ram, on the downward stroke, ripped the rim off the case & the case jammed in the brand new die. After having that 1000 yard stare for 10 seconds & then feeling like an A H. Boxed up the die sent it back to Redding for removal, ordered a Stuck Case Removal kit that will come back with the die, hopefully I will never have to use it. Redding said I probably didn't use enough lube, new die's need to use alittle more lube in the beginning.
Old August 19, 2014, 03:25 PM   #2
Sevens

Man, that's rough, and you'll NEVER forget it.

It will be a far more enjoyable memory if, 10 years down the road, it has never happened again and you LOVE the die. It'll generate a laugh & smile.
Old August 19, 2014, 03:38 PM   #3
Bart B.

Did you first clean out the die's sizing chamber?

From Redding's web site:
Quote:
If your dies are new, the original preservative oil the dies are shipped with is not a case lube and you should remove it thoroughly before using the die as the instruction sheet stipulates.

Last edited by Bart B.; August 19, 2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old August 19, 2014, 06:25 PM   #4
Metal god

Good question Bart . The other thing I've noticed when sizing cases . I can tell if the case will get stuck as the case goes up into the die . When it starts getting hard to size . I stop , retraced and add lube . It almost always works fine after that . The very first case I ever sized I forced up into the die thinking I had enough lube . It was hard to push up in there but the fact I never sized a case before made me think that was how it should feel . I almost could not get it out . From that day foreword I can tell when a case is about to get stuck and I stop .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old August 20, 2014, 08:49 AM   #5
cw308

Cleaned the die & bushing, first with Hoppe's 9 cleaned and dried, then wiped down with Kroil oil. I first sized the body 20 cases without the bushing no expander, then I dropped in the .336 titanium bushing, with the expander, adjusted the decap rod to self center the bushing & thats when it happened. Lubed the neck with Imperial dry neck lube. When body sizing I did feel it was tight, but not at the point of a jam. I may not have relubed the body when running it through again to size the neck. I do know it is all sized in one step, just did it this way to get use to the die, and boy did I
Old August 20, 2014, 11:20 AM   #6
Metal god

This is just a question to anybody . If a case is stuck , Can you unscrew the top of the die . Fill with break free or other like lube and let it sit so it can get in between the case and die . Then take a fat punch and pound it out from the top ? This assumes the head is stiil on the case and you just ripped the rim off .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old August 20, 2014, 11:24 AM   #7
Jim243

Quote:
it has never happened again and you LOVE the die
It will happen again in the next 10 years, Murphy will make sure of it, just grin and bare it, it's just part of reloading and a justification for a stuck case removal kit. (LOL)

Jim

Some times it not the die's fault but just a weak or damaged rim on the case.
Old August 20, 2014, 11:38 AM   #8
bigbird34

Stuck Brass

I tried to get my mentor to buy a stuck case removal tool at the gun shows,he said " I'll never use it" ! So I bought one ! A couple of weeks later he had a stuck case,and he asked,"Can I borrow your stuck case removal too ?' and I said "Why ?"
Needless to say ,he got the case unstuck,and I never saw that stuck case tool again, but being such a good friend, I just bought another ! Really handy to have when you make a mistake,but generally they just collect dust !

It's like falling off of your bike, get up ,dust yourself off and get going again !

Good luck,Jim
Old August 20, 2014, 02:01 PM   #9
cw308

I know you all feel my pain, I am going to take Metal gods advise, when you feel it getting tight, stop lower and relube. Thanks again Chris
Old August 23, 2014, 10:44 AM   #10
std7mag

This is why I buy Carbide Dies....

Not saying, just saying....
Old August 23, 2014, 04:43 PM   #11
jepp2

Doesn't take many things to remove a stuck case. Probably already have them around the house, I could make up several.

Last edited by jepp2; August 23, 2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old August 23, 2014, 06:18 PM   #12
arizona98tj

Your pic isn't displaying, jepp2.
Old August 23, 2014, 06:43 PM   #13
Sure Shot Mc Gee

He removed his pix on purpose. You can opt for that site pix removal feature for 4 days after a pix's posting. 5th (day) its locked there for viewing forever there after.
Old August 23, 2014, 06:52 PM   #14
jepp2

Quote:
Your pic isn't displaying, jepp2.
Hopefully it is now. Found I had duplicates of that image, and I deleted the wrong one. So I changed the link.