The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 23, 2012, 02:01 PM   #1
hammered54

Whitney Arms Co.

I was going thru a bunch of old stuff of my Dads and found this old rifle.
it's a Whitney Arms 22cal rolling block Rifle, I believe its whats called a "sporting rifle #1. ser. # 72656
now the stock is missing and a few other parts but I thought it would be cool to see if I could get this old thing up and running and hang it over the fireplace.

now the question is...what do you think the chances of finding any parts for this?
the spring for the hammer and the ejector piece which mates to the rolling block are missing along with the screw that hold the bracket with the pins on it that holds the hammer and rolling block into the body of the gun.

I'll try and post a few photos of this rifle a little later tonight as its soaking in mineral sprites now ( its a little rusty )

thanks Matt.
Old January 23, 2012, 02:40 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I think finding parts would be next door to impossible. Those guns are fairly simple, and there are some diagrams/pictures around, so having the stock and other parts made would not be impossible, just not feasible economically since the cost would be much more than the gun would be worth.

Most incomplete and broken guns in boxes were put there because someone, probably your Dad, found out that they were not repairable. I am afraid you will find the same thing.

Jim
Old January 23, 2012, 06:53 PM   #3
mdevlin53

I have a box of gun too. It is a Whitneyville 22 short pistol. i am missing the cylinder and side plate and a pair of grips. I had absolutly no luck finding any parts at all. probably have to keep eyes open at shows shops and yardsales. good luck
Old January 23, 2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Avenger

Well, you can probably find a "good-enough" fix for the missing screw in the hardware aisle. The hammer spring might take some doing, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could find something that could be adapted to work in the depths of a McMaster-Carr catalog.
Old January 24, 2012, 11:59 AM   #5
gyvel

Hate to state the obvious, but has anyone tried Dixie Gun Works?

It seems to me that, a few years back, they advertised a pile of unsorted Whitney parts.

Last edited by gyvel; January 25, 2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old January 25, 2012, 01:12 AM   #6
OcelotZ3

Also check Remington stocks. There was a lot of crossover.