The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 5, 2009, 11:14 AM   #1
golfnutrlv

National Parks...

Quick question folks...

What is the current status of carry permit privileges in National Parks? I know this has been bouncing around thanks to NObama:barf:

Is it best to lock up and unload if I go into a park, or did we squeeze the bill in in time?

Thanks...
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old September 5, 2009, 11:39 AM   #2
NavyLT

It is currently illegal for you to carry a firearm that is readily accessible or loaded in a National Park. The only way to legally possess a firearm in a National Park is if it is inaccessible (locked up) or broken down to a non-functioning state; AND unloaded. Permit status has nothing to do with it.

That will change on February 22, 2010. On or after February 22, 2010 you may carry your firearm in the National Park according to any state law that the National Park is located in. If you are in the Idaho section of Yellowstone, you carry according to Idaho laws, if you are in the Wyoming section of Yellowstone, you carry according to Wyoming. In states that allow carry without a permit, you may carry in the National Park without a permit as well on or after February 22, 2010.
Old September 5, 2009, 01:08 PM   #3
golfnutrlv

Thanks NavyLT.

Good to know there is some official news. So, the gun gets locked up when I enter Yellowstone in a couple weeks.

Thanks a ton!!
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old September 5, 2009, 01:58 PM   #4
LHB1

Quote: "Good to know there is some official news. So, the gun gets locked up when I enter Yellowstone in a couple weeks. "

My wife and I will be in Yellowstone-Grand Tetons from Sept 18-23 on our annual Fall trip. Will be looking for the Grizzly bears again (seen on previous two trips) but I plan to shoot them ONLY with a camera and telephoto lens.
Old September 5, 2009, 09:29 PM   #5
raimius

I hope it is one of those dangerous "High-power" lenses!
Old September 5, 2009, 10:51 PM   #6
LHB1

Quote: "I hope it is one of those dangerous "High-power" lenses! "

Yep, it's a 560mm that will reach out there and get the job done no matter how big the bear. Let's me stay close to the car where I can jump in quickly if the bruin starts coming my way. With luck, I hope to "shoot" grizzly, elk, bison, antelope, mule deer, moose, and assorted other smaller animals plus some great scenic shots of mountains, lakes, and rivers. Then we come home and watch the slides projected onto a 6 foot screen and remember all the little details, cool weather, fresh air, beautiful animals, etc. Now how long is it until we can go back again?

Last edited by LHB1; September 5, 2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old September 6, 2009, 01:58 PM   #7
NavyLT

You cannot have your camera loaded with more than 10 frames of film at a time and you must have a special license and tax stamp if the camera takes more than one photo with a single press of the shutter release. It's for the children.
Old September 6, 2009, 03:37 PM   #8
LHB1

Quote: "You cannot have your camera loaded with more than 10 frames of film at a time and you must have a special license and tax stamp if the camera takes more than one photo with a single press of the shutter release. It's for the children. "

I use those dangerous 36 exposure rolls of film but in an old fashioned camera that only takes one shot at a time. I'm also teaching my 9 yr old grandson how to shoot a pistol and use a camera. He loves to do both. At the range he shoots the pistol and in Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, etc. he shoots the camera. Am I corrupting him?
Old September 7, 2009, 10:03 PM   #9
colt357

Quote: "I'm also teaching my 9 yr old grandson how to shoot a pistol and use a camera. He loves to do both. At the range he shoots the pistol and in Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, etc. he shoots the camera. Am I corrupting him?"

Absolutely, in a way that every grandfather is supposed to do.

It is a sacred responsibility that goes with the title "grandfather"!

The influence will last a lifetime, and in some way he will pass it on to future generations as well.

God bless you for sharing the time, and making the memories that can only come from such shared experiences.

Colt