The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 19, 2009, 03:49 PM   #1
verti89

Couple of Amendments to Texas Laws

These were included in an email as forwarded by the Texas SOC. Looks like its not ALL gloom and doom out there.

HB 2730 amends numerous provisions regarding concealed handgun licenses (CHLs), including eliminating student loan defaults as a disqualifier, to clarify that DPS must suspend or revoke a license when the licensee becomes ineligible and mandating that a magistrate suspend a CHL held by the subject of an emergency protective order.

HB 2664 provides a defense to prosecution if a concealed handgun license holder carries a concealed handgun into an establishment that gets 51 percent or more of its income from the sale of alcoholic beverages, but has failed to post the statutorily required notice that it derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale of alcoholic beverages. (Under current law, a concealed handgun licensee can be charged with a Class A misdemeanor for doing this.)

HB 2730 removes DPS authority to suspend a concealed handgun license (CHL) for the holder’s failure to display the CHL to a peace officer on demand. It removes associated penalties and suspensions for the failure to display.
Old August 19, 2009, 08:53 PM   #2
The_Vigilante

Couple of Amendments to Texas Laws

So does the third item mean we no longer have to show our CCW license to law enforcement when they ask for our ID's?
Old August 19, 2009, 09:35 PM   #3
verti89

It doesn't actually say we aren't supposed to still display but it does remove the penalties for not doing so...
Old August 20, 2009, 08:31 AM   #4
CowTowner

I'm thinking, and correct me if I'm wrong, it means if we forget to show the license, we don't get penalized for the slip.
Best practice is to show both when asked for ID by a LEO.

I'm glad to see that the sign has to be posted for the offense to be committed in number 2.
Some places, you just don't know unless they put up the 51% sign. And yes, I know it's better to err on the side of caution and lock it in the car when going to a questionable business. But I'm used to the gun being there (in the holster, on my person) where ever I go.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy

Last edited by CowTowner; August 20, 2009 at 08:35 AM. Reason: adding text
Old August 20, 2009, 09:36 AM   #5
Frank Ettin
Staff

Have these bills actually been enacted and signed by the Governor, or are they merely pending?
Old August 20, 2009, 10:20 AM   #6
verti89

If I understand correctly they go into effect September 1.
Old August 20, 2009, 02:14 PM   #7
IamHenryBowman

This is why I will never move from my Home state. I may visit other places, but Texas is and always will be pro gun.
Old August 20, 2009, 02:21 PM   #8
carguychris

Quote:
I may visit other places, but Texas is and always will be pro gun.
OTOH open carry and CCW by legal CHL holders on college campuses remain illegal in TX. Attempts to legalize both withered on the vine during the last legislative session.

There's still work to be done.
Old August 21, 2009, 07:00 PM   #9
bwdilli

Efforts were stopped by Representative Brian McCall who is the Chair of the Calenders Committee of the Texas House of Representatives. He represents District 66 which covers Plano Texas. The bill for Campus Carry passed the Senate and came out of committee in the House but was stopped by Brian McCall as he would not allow it to be scheduled to be read before the House.

In the 2010 elections we need to defeat him. He calls himself a Republican, but is one in name only. He does not support your rights to protect yourself and is solely responsible for killing every bill that would have expanded your rights to do so for this 2009 session.
Old August 24, 2009, 12:51 PM   #10
carguychris

Can anyone verify the claims about Rep. McCall from a neutral source?
Old August 25, 2009, 08:04 AM   #11
CowTowner

I have yet to find anything identifying any specific individual as the cause for the failure.
The source of bwdilli's information would be welcome.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy