The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 13, 2006, 04:42 PM   #1
dsburch

Colt 1894 DA

I know nothing about guns. I am trying to help my father locate a set of original grips to fit a Colt DA 1894 US Army revolver. Any advice on where I could find these?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
Debbie
Old March 13, 2006, 08:22 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Replica grips are fairly easy to find, but ORIGINAL's are going to be a little more difficult.

The original grips were made of hard rubber (Gutta Percha) with plain-border molded in checkering, and the word COLT at the top.

There are also hard rubber grips used on later models that have fancier bordered checkering and a large letter "C" around the grip screw.
The early grips original to your model are rather plain with only the COLT at the top and a simpler checkering pattern.

Originals are hard to find due to the fragility of this material as it aged.
Your best bet is to watch Ebay, but be careful what you buy, since the modern plastic replicas look very much like originals, AND sellers seldom really know what grips fit which model and often mis-describe them.

Here's a set up for auction that are the "general" type you'll need, but the top markings are a little different:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-1890s-Colt-r...QQcmdZViewItem
Old March 13, 2006, 10:18 PM   #3
Sir William

www.dixiegunworks.com My own DA38 is wearing period mother of pearl grips. I stashed my original wood grips as they are rara avis items. Check www.oldguns.net
Old March 15, 2006, 11:44 PM   #4
dsburch

Grips

Thanks to both for your responses. Turns out my dad would be satisfied with replica grips, his desire is that the gun at least look as close to original as possible. Hopefully I will be able to help him find an 'authentic' replica online. If not, at least I've learned a lot!

Thanks.
Debbie