The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 8, 2012, 03:22 PM   #1
sigcurious

Regarding Cars and Self Defense

The topic of what to do if a person in a car is trying to run you down has come up a few times. I think this recent event, documents just how far a car can travel with the driver incapacitated. To me this highlights why evasion is the best bet. I also think it is also a good reminder of maintaining awareness in all situations, as you can be vulnerable in a car.

This brings up the concerns of the latter situation. Using the framework of a car jacking, which I perceive to be the most likely attack for an average person. Even if you spot the potential threat approaching your car the option of reversing or going forward without endangering yourself and others may not be available. Furthermore, if you live in an area where roadside panhandlers are common, as I do, even if the option of forwarding or reversing is there, I would view it as not practical to take this measure every time a potential threat was near the car.

So what are some of the options? Considering that actions taken under real threat could be justified, ie running a red light at an empty intersection because some guy was approaching your car with a gun, whereas the threat may not fully apparent, and the same action because a panhandler approached your car would be hard to justify.
Old August 8, 2012, 03:35 PM   #2
RamItOne

You mean they don't blow up after being shot a few times like in the movies?

Yup getting out of the way is generally the better option. YMMV
Old August 8, 2012, 03:38 PM   #3
BarryLee

Yes, it is difficult to anticipate exactly what might happen. I always try to leave myself an “out” in traffic by leaving a gap between cars, but this is not always possible. While this may sound obvious I make sure my doors are locked and give consideration to when I let my windows down. Beyond situational awareness and access to your defensive handgun I am not really sure what else can be done.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 8, 2012, 11:18 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

Ave of escape...

In short, if you are a CC license holder, armed security officer or private citizen, I'd prepare to avoid vehicles or jump out of the way if possible.

I've heard & read of several incidents in my metro area where violent subjects drove at a armed guard or citizen then the license holder faced civil-criminal charges.
Armed security officers & license holders(private citizens) are NOT cops. When the PD or troopers arrive, they will say you could have fled or avoided the vehicle.
2 armed security officers near my city faced an incident where they shot at a teen who drove at them. Both guards were cleared by the courts but it was a huge mess.
Remember, the LE officers are trained & have the support-resources to deal with incidents like that. Critical incidents aren't like TV shows or movies. The media, DAs, investigators, and civil law firms will be involved in a event, like it or not.

Clyde
ps; author & gun expert Leroy Thompson wrote a good article about the new Judge & Smith and Wesson Gov revolvers do well for vehicles/protection. Being able to fire 410 shotshells, .45LC, .454 etc could help in a car-jacking incident.