The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 14, 2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Charles S

Factory subsonic 5.56 ammo

I just heard from my local gun shop that my new Smith Enterprise Wind Talker 5.56 sound suppressor arrived today.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products11.html

Now I get to fill out my paperwork and wait on my tax stamp. This does however bring up a question. Where can I get subsonic 5.56 ammo.

The can will be mounted on a 16 inch barrel Bushmaster. A quick internet search reveals a variety of subsonic 5.56 ammo. Can anyone recommend a specific manufacturer and if so what source did you use to purchase it?

I appreciate your assistance.
Old May 14, 2012, 05:30 PM   #2
David Hineline

Pointless, just shoot your rifle with a .22lr conversion kit.
Old May 15, 2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Deja vu

I have never seen it so it cant be that common. If you reload you may want to look in to trail boss.

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

this is from the factory and it states how to come up with a trail boss load for your caliber.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old May 15, 2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Willie Lowman

Subsonic .223 is called .300 Blackout...

Yeah, I know they aren't the same round.

For better advise, see David's post.
Old May 16, 2012, 06:36 AM   #5
rkbanet

There are several brands out there, Engel Research is my favorite. Please note that centerfire subsonic ammo is not cheap and also will not cycle a semi action. It is a specialty ammo, but does have it's uses.

http://ebr-inc.net/556UltraStealthMatchSubsonic.html

http://www.precisionweapons.com/prod-584.htm

Last edited by rkbanet; May 16, 2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old May 16, 2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Wahoo95

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hineline View Post
Pointless, just shoot your rifle with a .22lr conversion kit.
^This^......save your money unless you plan to load your own. Otherwise you'd be better off with Subsonic 22......like the 60gr Aguila SSS

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old May 16, 2012, 10:39 AM   #7
RAnb

Let's say we have a 22lr 40 grain moving 1050 fps and a 60 grain moving 750 fps (can anyone do any better?). This gives us 98 ft-lbs and 75 ft-lbs.

Compare this to a 70 grain Speer RN at 1050 fps; about 171 ft-lbs. Almost 75% greater energy. Use a heavier bullet and you get even more power.

Another factor is that due to the much greater powder charge in the subsonic 223 (about 7 grains) compared to the 22lr (about 2 grains?) the subsonic 223 is going to be much noisier than any subsonic 22lr especially when suppressed.

Using a 300 whisper or 300 Blackout upper is much nicer. You get true semi-auto capability and much more power from the 240 grain bullet or supersonic 125 grain bullet. I never got any better than double the group size with subsonic 223 compared to standard ammo in my ar-15. If you want quiet, go with 22lr, if you want power and accuracy go with 300 Blackout.

I think buying specialty ammo is for suckers. Buying a single stage press will save you money in the long run, the short run if you are buying subsonic 223. Loading your own means you do not have to put up with subsonic ammo that actually goes transonic/supersonic and is noisy, or ammo loaded so weak as to guarantee subsonic velocity but only runs 800-900 fps with a trajectory that rivals a mortar.

Ranb
Old May 16, 2012, 12:32 PM   #8
mingheemouse

Since the original poster bought a 5.56mm suppressor, and not a 7.62mm one, I'd go out on a limb and say that anything .308 diameter (Whisper/Blackout) isn't in his near future. Perhaps if he wants to spend another wad of cash and 6 more months waiting on a stamp for a new can that is a good way to go.

Loading his own is also a better option, allowing him to tailor loads to the varmints he is going after, and depending on whether he has a 1/7 rather than the more common 1/9 twist Bushmaster he may be able to go as high as 85gr Barnes Match Burners and still have a subsonic load which can be loaded to magazine length and may prove stable enough in his testing to avoid a costly baffle strike and still provide more than twice the energy of a subsonic .22lr for the odd coyote, provided his state allows suppressors for hunting.

As to shooting .223 factory subsonics, I will assume that he does not desire to buy another can, upper, conversion unit or reloading equipment and components. I will also assume that his Bushmaster is likely a 1/9 twist, and that he knows that subsonics will be turning his auto-loading rifle into a straight pull bolt action... and that he is totally fine with all of this and still wants some factory subsonics, like he asked about.

Engel Ballistic Research, Inc. makes what it calls 5.56mm NATO/.223 Ultra Stealth Match Subsonic. It is 63 grains, so it is likely to stabilize fine in a 1/9 twist barrel and not destroy his can. Doing a search for "EBR Subsonic Ammo" will produce many results of stores selling the product.

Extreme Shock also makes some, but I have no experience with it. It is also rather long and 100 grains, so I would be careful to make sure your barrel will stabilize it if you go that route.

Either way, factory subsonic .223/5.56 is rather expensive, and if he wants to play with some, he now has two leads. Youtube has videos showing both types, if he wants to see them in action before buying some. There you go Charles S., some information concerning the question you had asked.
Old May 16, 2012, 01:06 PM   #9
Charles S

I appreciate the reply's and the information. I am, at this time, not planning on purchasing a 6.5 mm or 30 caliber can. I already have a 22 can that is rated for rimfire, but not centerfire loads. I often use this on my Ruger 10/22 so I am not interested in a conversion kit at this time.

I do re-load, but really don't have the time to work up a subsonic load. This combination will be used primarily for full power 5.56 loads. I just want a magazine or two of subsonic for occasionally punching paper, ringing steel, or small varmints.

mingheemouse,

Thank you for your input, the Bushmaster is the more common 1:9 twist so it may not stabilize the really heavy stuff. I have researched this a great deal and will shoot any loads I try without the suppressor on paper to ensure they are stable and are not key holing.

The can I chose is user serviceable and Smith Enterprise states they will replace a baffle or end cap in the event of a strike. The gentleman I spoke with at Smith Enterprise states that baffle/end cap strikes are inevitable. The can if full auto rated and is a relatively light weight can.

I will look into the Engel Ballistic Research loadings. I again thank you mingheemouse.

Of note: Texas recently approved hunting with silencers/suppressors

Last edited by Charles S; May 16, 2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old May 20, 2012, 09:16 PM   #10
rsilvers

I am not convinced any subsonic 223 cycles an M4 between the 700 and 950 rpm that Colt lists as the specs. The rounds may "cycle" - enough to make a video for youtube, but if they are below 700 rpm they will not be all that reliable when cold and/or dirty. This applies to semi-autos as well.
Old May 20, 2012, 09:58 PM   #11
Wahoo95

You should be able to use your rimfire can for subsonic 223.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old May 20, 2012, 10:49 PM   #12
RAnb

If your rimfire can is rated for something like the FN 5.7 or the 22-hornet, then it might be ok with a subsonic 223. Better check with the manufacturer before trying it though.

Ranb
Old May 22, 2012, 12:56 PM   #13
Charles S

My rimfire can is rated 22 magnum, I personally would not be willing to try running subsonic 223 through it.