The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 16, 2013, 04:43 PM   #1
westfi1

What is this ?

I have a revolver I bought used whose origin is a mystery to me. Please see the enclosed image. It is a S&W Model 29-3 .44 Magnum in the N frame round butt configuration. The serial number begins with the letters “ALB” followed by four digits. It has the S&W finger grooved combat grips by Kim Ahrends, a three inch, unported, partial underlug barrel, fluted cylinder, blued finish, case hardened hammer and smooth trigger, white outline adjustable rear sight, and red ramp front sight. I was certain that it was a Lew Horton special, but I called them with the serial number and they said that it was not one of theirs. I didn't think that there were any three inch barreled Model 29s that were not custom runs for one or another of the limited edition distributors. I have not heard that S&W ever cataloged a three inch as a standard M29. Does anyone know what I have here ? Thanks very much in advance for responding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3150088 (2).jpg (67.8 KB, 160 views)
Old March 16, 2013, 10:18 PM   #2
kimbers rule

Not sure what it is, but I sure do like the looks!
Old March 16, 2013, 11:04 PM   #3
RJay

The only 3 inch 29-3 that I can find in the S&W book is the Lew Horton Special, 5000 manufactured in 1984/1985. The book description fits your gun to a T. Unfortunately no serial numbers are listed. I think this is a case for a S&W letter.
Old March 17, 2013, 12:51 AM   #4
9mm

Looks like a 44magnum
Old March 17, 2013, 06:18 AM   #5
crazy charlie

You might find some help on on of the 2 S&W forums.
Old March 17, 2013, 03:19 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

The ALB serial number dates to November, 1985, which seems to support RJay's information.

Jim
Old March 17, 2013, 08:30 PM   #7
lee n. field

Quote:
I have a revolver I bought used whose origin is a mystery to me. Please see the enclosed image. It is a S&W Model 29-3 .44 Magnum in the N frame round butt configuration. The serial number begins with the letters “ALB” followed by four digits. It has the S&W finger grooved combat grips by Kim Ahrends, a three inch, unported, partial underlug barrel, fluted cylinder, blued finish, case hardened hammer and smooth trigger, white outline adjustable rear sight, and red ramp front sight. I was certain that it was a Lew Horton special, but I called them with the serial number and they said that it was not one of theirs. I didn't think that there were any three inch barreled Model 29s that were not custom runs for one or another of the limited edition distributors. I have not heard that S&W ever cataloged a three inch as a standard M29. Does anyone know what I have here ? Thanks very much in advance for responding.
Jinks letter? (S&W company historian, can provide a letter giving information on when it was made, in what configuration, and who it was initially sold to.)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "