The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2012, 10:26 AM   #1
markt99

Using cases after bullet pulling

Are there any issues with reusing cases after pulling the bullets without resizing.

Obviously the de-capping that goes along with resizing is dangerous on a live primer.

So the already primed case is just re-belled, recharged, re-seated and re-crimped
Old February 17, 2012, 11:09 AM   #2
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

That is how I make hunting cartridges for my M1 Garand. An inertia bullet puller, dump the powder, load my powder, put in a legal hunting bullet and I am good to go. Been doing it since 1972 so I would say its okay to do.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 17, 2012, 12:14 PM   #3
David Bachelder

Not that I know of.

I even decap live primers. When I do I throw a towell around my press, decap slowly, then go about my way. I have never had a primer go off doing this (so far).
Old February 17, 2012, 12:53 PM   #4
hounddawg

If you find the necks too loose without resizing you might adjust the decapping rod on your die it does not punch the primer out and then resize the cases.
Old February 17, 2012, 04:49 PM   #5
peter_s

Like hounddawg says; I just pull the decapping pin from the die and resize.
Old February 17, 2012, 08:35 PM   #6
jepp2

Quote:
Are there any issues with reusing cases after pulling the bullets without resizing.
You don't state the caliber or the application (revolver or pistol). If in a revolver that you are going to crimp, should be fine. I normally resize part way down just to have uniform neck tension and a consistent crimp.

For a pistol I would always resize just to make sure the neck tension would give similar pressure and setback avoidance. Realize if you remove your decapping pin out before sizing there is no need to worry about impacting the primer.
Old February 17, 2012, 09:12 PM   #7
primerman

Yep, resize...