The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 17, 2012, 11:51 PM   #1
DHart

Can a S. Dakota resident buy a long gun while in OR or WA?

I will be spending a few months in Washington State and Oregon. As a South Dakota resident, can I purchase a long gun while in WA or OR?
Old June 18, 2012, 02:50 AM   #2
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
My slight understanding of these laws would incline me to say yes, you can purchase, but you cannot possess until it has been transferred to you by an FFL in your home state. Just a guess as to how it would work: buy firearm, have it sent to FFL in home state, fill out the paperwork when you get home.
Old June 18, 2012, 09:04 AM   #3
brickeyee

Absent any state restrictions long guns can be purchased and delivered by an FFL in any state as long as the FFL's state laws and the purchaser's state laws are both followed.

Handguns must be picked up from an FFL in the purchaser's state of residence.
Old June 18, 2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Don H

Brickeye is correct:

Quote:
Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unli...censed-acquire

You can not legally purchase a firearm face-to-face (private party) in an interstate transaction.
Old June 19, 2012, 01:32 PM   #5
hermannr

Oregon firearms Law is ORS 166, Washington Law is RCW 9.41 if you want the whole of their firearms law. WA out-of-state purchase law specifically is RCW 9.41.122 but read the whole of both for the best visit.

unlicensed Open carry is legal in both states. OR has a few local government restrictions on Unlicensed OC (ORS 166.173) that effects SOME local governments (like Portland and Salem), WA has a restriction on loaded firearms in a vehicle without a license (and never a loaded long gun), but no local government gotya's.

Oh, may I add: OR does not recognize any other state's license for purposes of Concealed Carry. WA recognizes very few for Concealed Carry. WA recognizes ND, but not SD.

Last edited by hermannr; June 19, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old June 20, 2012, 07:18 PM   #6
DHart

Thanks very much guys... I will go have a look at the laws and see if I can figure it out.

I'll be here in Washington (very near Portland, OR) for about 4 months so I'd really like to know if I can buy and take possession of long guns while here in either OR or WA.

The other thing is convincing gunshops that it can be done... they're probably disinclined to do the homework to find out if it can be done.
Old June 23, 2012, 10:09 PM   #7
gearchecker

Print out a copy of this thread with the code and take it with you. If in doubt you can provide this thread with the code to them in writing on the spot.

Quote:
Quote:
Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
Regards,
Gearchecker
http://www.corneredcat.com