The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old November 25, 2009, 12:21 AM   #1
jgcoastie

Black Friday... Thoughts? Concerns?

Mrs. Coastie was talking to me about her Black Friday shopping plans at our local shopping mall (aka: Wal-Mart) when I had a thought...

Black Friday spells disaster for possible muggings, etc...

Discuss your plans for Friday as it pertains to protecting yourself and your loved ones on this frantic shopping day. Maybe give some tips to the newer folks...

Personally, I plan on sleeping late and avoiding this potential fiasco altogether...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old November 25, 2009, 12:33 AM   #2
Frank Ettin
Staff

We deal with Black Friday by staying home. In fact, all our Christmas shopping is done anyway, we have plenty of food in the house and a variety of projects to occupy ourselves with. (I probably have some guns to clean.) So we have no reason to leave the house. (Well, I'll probably go to the gym for a couple of hours.)

I see no reason to enter the Black Friday melee.
Old November 25, 2009, 12:40 AM   #3
jgcoastie

I should also add that I talked the Mrs. out of going... She realized that waking up at 0200 to be there by 0300 was futile...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old November 25, 2009, 01:07 AM   #4
rburch

I'll be waking up about 4:30 just like every black friday. After all, you have to get out early to get the good chances.

At a deer I mean, you couldn't pay me to go shopping this weekend.

I'll let others deal with the crowds, I'll enjoy being alone with nature.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old November 25, 2009, 01:14 AM   #5
michael t

We stay home their is nothing worth the hassle that this becomes I think its a safety issue and a fire hazard as stores are so packed in a fire people would be trampled to death
Old November 25, 2009, 01:20 AM   #6
(BH)

I choose not to take part in that circus out of my lack of consumerist values, not paranoia. That whole save money by spending it crap means nothing to me.

However, if I did want to go, I sure wouldn't be afraid to do so. My only fear would be encountering a rabid housewife stampede. Nothing I do really merits hightened paranoia, thus I usually don't let fear govern my activities.

It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. The act of dying is not of importance, it lasts so short a time.
-Samuel Johnson
Old November 25, 2009, 02:22 AM   #7
Slopemeno

I was in Manhattan in 2001 and went to the Toys-R-Us in Times Square on the day after Thanksgiving. I'm still scarred by the experience.

Seriously, it was kinda fun in retrospect. No worries at all.
Old November 25, 2009, 08:16 AM   #8
OldMarksman
Staff

We've been staying home now for many years.

At first the issue was crowds and parking--the radio stations had helicopters up giving reports on traffic and parking all day long. Not worth it.

We now do most of our shopping from home. More convenient, lower stress, fewer dings on the car, better all around.

We now avoid malls altogether. The suburban malls around here are usually too unpleasantly crowded for me, and in recent years the incidence of crime in some of them has made them too risky for me.

Someone said I was paranoid--but a police detective I know says she won't go to any of the malls around here at all. That surprised me. Last year she was assigned to the office chief of the county police chief, and i believe her decision to have been an informed one.

The crime rate of our adjoining city is now number two in the country; for the entire metro area it's no. 103.

Last edited by OldMarksman; November 25, 2009 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Correction after having had coffee
Old November 25, 2009, 08:48 AM   #9
dabigguns357

Here is a different aspect to look at,those of us have to work.I hate it and wish they would stop it.I have fallen on lucky stars this year and i don't have to work past 3 am so i won't be sticking aorund for the funeral(errr sale).I do however worry about my wife who will have to work during the sale.So i'm going to be there for her with(bells on)along with gun,peper spray too.I want my wife coming home and if it means i have to get mean i'll do just that.

Do they make industy sized pepper spray,like gallon sized or bigger.
Old November 25, 2009, 08:58 AM   #10
BlkHawk73

IMO, if one is THAT worried, avoid the situation. Be the smart one and stay home. Don't be one of the over-greedy inconsiderate fools that are rushing out Friday to clamor stuff.
Then again, it's easy to say that as I'm done with one gift the exception. All done online yesterday.
Old November 25, 2009, 09:40 AM   #11
rickyjames

i think i'm gonna carry my largest gun, a ruger redhawk with a 7 1/2" barrel with the attached bayonet so when i'm standing in those long lines and some blue haired old lady runs my foot over with her rascal (they are deadly weapons ya know) i'm gonna pull my pistola and shoot and stab her tires. lets see how many big screen tv's and geritol she can buy while she is waiting for triple arp to come change her tires.
Old November 25, 2009, 09:50 AM   #12
rickyjames

"Do they make industy sized pepper spray,like gallon sized or bigger. "

lol....i'm picturing something like a solider wearing a ww2 flamethrower full of pepper spray. that'll keep those walmart shoppers in line

the next time i see some old guy with an oxygen bottle on wheels and a face mask i'm gonna check and see if he has some sort of nozzel like that dude on "no country for old men" had.
Old November 25, 2009, 10:01 AM   #13
ClayInTx

The dangers of Black Friday-- awful, awful, awful

One should very well beware of the dangers posed by Black Friday. Employ situational awareness and look out for:

1. The soccer mom looking for sneakers will run you over.
2. The grandma looking for the 17th gift for her only grandchild will stab you with her umbrella.
3. Don’t get caught in the middle of a dog-fight, I mean pre-teen fight, over the last X-box game in Wal-Mart. You’ll end up in the hospital.
4. The two old codgers on the electric scooters racing each other to the men’s room.

The list could go on an on but I’m sure you’re beginning to understand. If your Significant Other insists on going then here’s the plan:
Tell the her to meet you back at the vehicle. Look for the bum trying for a hand-out. Give him $10 and send him inside for a case of cheap beer. Watch for when he comes out and throw down on him because he’ll try to get away and drink it all by himself.

When the wife returns, help her into the vehicle with her sprained ankle, black eye, and bruised lip. Tell the bum he can have the last two cans of beer and tell the wife she’ll have to drive. Go home and sleep it off and then enjoy having participated in a successful Black Friday.

Don’t worry about the BG’s, they’re more scared of the soccer moms than they are of the police.
Old November 25, 2009, 10:29 AM   #14
fastforty

I'll be checking Midwayusa.com for black friday sales.
We *never* go *anywhere* on Thanksgiving weekend. It's just too nutz out there.
Old November 25, 2009, 10:39 AM   #15
SPUSCG

Black Friday, no parking, huge lines, when you finally get to what you want its sold out, after all the stress you notice you didnt save much anyway....just dont go. Ive never shopped black friday, never will, Im so glad I have a 4.5 hour shift instead of 8 like my last employer screwed me over with.
Old November 25, 2009, 10:47 AM   #16
Drummer101

I had to work retail last year at Target and I was throwing xbox 360's to the crowd

But this year I am going to be home laughing at my friends who have to work at bestbuy.

This is probably the only time of the year the Hummer comes in handy

It is really sad that people are killed to save a few cents.
Old November 25, 2009, 10:58 AM   #17
sakeneko

I deal with Black Friday by staying home. Even if there were no security concerns (and there are), I simply loathe raving crowds of shoppers and the general din they cause. I can't imagine why I'd go into that mess, frankly.

So -- no need for special security arrangements. :-)
Old November 25, 2009, 11:18 AM   #18
SPUSCG

This is my last year of retail, ill be active duty in june it looks like so i just ot to work till i raduate college and get a duty station. Last year I ahd to start 5am and work 8 hours. This year, I get 4.5 hours and start at 3pm when the crowds have died down. I see less security concerns on black friday however, bier crowds, less likely for someone to pull somethin bold like a muggin. Reular old shoppin is probably more danerous on quiter days.
Old November 25, 2009, 11:28 AM   #19
Onward Allusion

I think the consensus among this group and probably a lot of men is to bunker down until the madness passes, myself included. There aren't enough deals or freebies to make me go shopping on Black Friday.

Last edited by Onward Allusion; November 25, 2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old November 25, 2009, 12:15 PM   #20
besafe2

I solve the problem by staying home.
Old November 25, 2009, 12:19 PM   #21
riggins_83

I'll be working as a security guy/greeter at a gun store here in town Friday and Saturday.. the owner called and asked if I would.
Old November 25, 2009, 12:21 PM   #22
starshooter231

I can not wait for Black Friday. It provides a great opportunity to test your situational awareness. Plus the wife is going and she doesn't carry so it is my responsibility to keep her safe even if she wont.

starshooter231
Old November 25, 2009, 01:50 PM   #23
kalstrand

I would say its not worth participating. None of the deals are so good that they are not resistable. Wait until after Christmas and you will probably be able to save the same amount on end of year clearances without all the hassle.
Old November 25, 2009, 03:10 PM   #24
Blue Steel

+1 on stay home, but if you must go out please do not leave stuff in plain view in your car in a mall parking lot. For that matter, don't leave personal items in plain view in your car ever, anywhere. Most auto burglars don't risk busting into your car for what "might" be there.
Old November 25, 2009, 03:34 PM   #25
taz1

only went once.
dumped the whole bottle of cover sent ( some aminal pee, scat, regurtation ) on my old boots and put them in a trash bag.
wore my slippers in the car and put the boots on in the p-lot of each store.
mommy was mad at first but soon found it as funny as i did when people would be looking around and bailing.
i was laughing till i cried.
never been asked to go since.
Closed Thread