The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 29, 2007, 11:47 AM   #1
Casimer

1911 Airsoft Trainer

What specific makes & models of airsoft 1911 pistol are the most suitable as 1911 trainers?

Ideally I'd like to find something rackable w/ a blowback action (working or simulated), working safeties, realistic scale, heft, balance, and a good trigger.

I'm shooting a SA Mil-Spec, so a service pistol replica should be pretty close.

thanks
Old August 2, 2007, 07:10 AM   #2
khest

I am in to airsoft and to me the best for 1911 clones is Western Arms aka WA for airsofters. Trust me you wont go wrong.
Old August 2, 2007, 07:43 AM   #3
Musketeer

You can achieve what you need with consistent, well thought out, dry fire practice with your real weapon.

Grip, Stance, Draw, Sight Alignment and Trigger Pull can all be practiced and developed to great effect and safely by maintaining a proper dry fire training routine. You do not get recoil, but you would not get that in an airsoft anyway. You also get to use the REAL weapon.

Buy some snap caps, unload your weapon and leave all the ammo in another room, establish a safe area to conduct dry fire with a suitable backstop, and do so. You do not need little paint pellets to tell you if you are firing accurately, if the sights move off the target when you pull the trigger on your real weapon then you missed.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old August 10, 2007, 06:13 AM   #4
k Squared

Efficiency vs. Enjoyment

Absolutely correct, dry firing would be more efficient and effective, but not nearly as much fun. I think I might go with a combination of airsoft and dry firing.
Old August 16, 2007, 01:39 PM   #5
hecate

We use Airsoft guns for force-on-force (ala Gabe Suarez), and I've had great results with the KWA M1911A1, model # J05218. It fits in my real holsters and has a metal frame sturdy enough that I haven't broken it yet. Extra mags are VERY hard to come by, though.