The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 4, 2006, 08:55 AM   #1
ceetee

Are belt slides good for anything?

Does anybody use a belt slide like this on a regular basis? Are they any good for temporary use?

Thanks!

Old September 6, 2006, 04:33 PM   #2
hazrd

Not like that one

I haven't used one like that, but for a couple years while I lived in a free-r state, I used various belt slide holsters for primary carry while working behind a counter at a gun store. Easy access, no extra retension devices, and easy enough to cover up when I left to go home by simply untucking my 'uniform' polo shirt.

Found one trick was to have the holster bridge a beltloop. Prevented the holster from coming forward during a draw.

My personal opinion, comfort, accessibility and concealabilty are the key points in any holster. The deeper you conceal, chances are the less accessible. I found slide holster comfortable, easy to get to, and like I said, I could conceal it, or open carry with it.

After all, if it isn't comfortable enough to wear everyday, we are likely to leave it at home.
Old September 6, 2006, 05:55 PM   #3
Doubletaptap

I have one that is just a piece of flat egg shaped leather and the belt goes through it. No clip or nothing.
I use it religiously and it's great for carry or concealed carry.
It holds my Star Starfire .40S&W close to my side and I can carry concealed with a loose fitting t-shirt.
Plus it's comfortable and lets the pistol shift as I sit or stand. It won't let if fall out because the pistol sits way down in it.
And yes. put a belt loop in between the places where the belt goes through the slide.
Old September 6, 2006, 10:00 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

Hey which one is that - I like it! Never seen a yaqui-style with clip like that. I say thumbs up.
Old September 7, 2006, 04:20 AM   #5
mete

To work properly they have to be made very well !! I've used the www.thewilderness.com Zip-slide for many years from IPSC matches to carry , it's great.
Old September 7, 2006, 07:21 AM   #6
ceetee

FirstFreedom That one's listed in the Sportsman's Guide online catalog for under $20. I like the idea of being able to use it IWB as well as on the belt (if it works...).

I realize there are better holsters on the market, but I have to set aside the caysh for something like a Milt Sparks (extra $$ not being easy to come by these days). Plus, when I can order a specialty holster, they usually have a backlog of weeks or months. I expect my CCW permit any day now.

Thanks for all the input. So far, the only negative I've read (on The High Road) was that used IWB, the front sight may pose some issues with getting snagged, or tearing my shirt. I think I'm willing to risk the $20...
Old September 9, 2006, 10:07 PM   #7
TexasCop

I also use a belt slide frequently. I'ts just two pieces of leather stitched together with two slots for belt loops in it. +1 on having a belt loop in between the two belt slots to keep the holster from sliding forward or back (that goes for any holster if you can) I bought mine from Dillon in one of their blue press magazines about 10 years ago. No problems with it since.