The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 18, 2009, 10:44 PM   #1
Farmland

The old style of gun storage?

I was just wondering how many people still use the old fashion gun case for their rifles? This was a home made gun cabinet that I still use today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg safleless.jpg (105.5 KB, 687 views)
Old July 19, 2009, 05:43 PM   #2
arizona98tj

I like that method of storage but alas, it isn't safe anymore for my purposes. In fact, I have a nice 100% pine glass faced gun cabinet sitting in my hallway since I haven't decided what to do with it yet. (it is empty)

My neighborhood as gone to hell, to put it mildly. Gang bangers live across the street, more than half of the houses have been bought and used for rentals over the past 10 years....and with the new foreclosures going on, I'm sure more will follow. Nothing against folks that rent....but the ones that show up here are the kind of neighbors you wish would move....and that is before you actually meet them face to face. LOL!!!

I now have 800# of gun safe to secure my firearms. The gun cabinet, at least while I live where I am, is out dated and a liability.
Old July 19, 2009, 07:32 PM   #3
TxShooter474

While I love old school cabinets and actually being able to see and enjoy your firearms, they simply are not safe a practical in todays day and age. Mine are secured away in a gun safe at all times when not on my person...(young children at home as well)
Old July 19, 2009, 08:02 PM   #4
oneounceload

Bought Morton Booth decades ago, sold it when I moved from a relatively safe small ND town to a bigger location in NV and bought a safe......Besides, it never held enough guns
Old July 19, 2009, 08:24 PM   #5
Zilmo

Love the looks, hate the lack of security.
Old July 20, 2009, 02:39 PM   #6
Steve523

Sweet Oak Wood Gun Cabinet

I recently bought an 8 gun oak wood gun cabinet on line for under $600 with no tax and shipping included in the price. I have etched glass doors, nice hardware and it really looks great in my family room. I realize it's not as safe as a heavy gauge gun safe but I've trained my kids about firearm safety and feel good about the purchase. The other thing that I like is that I can see my collection of shotguns where with a safe its all hidden behind metal. The link I went to was http://www.mystoragecabinets.com/guncabinets2.html to purchase the cabinet which took around 3 to 4 weeks to get.
Old July 20, 2009, 02:53 PM   #7
tomh1426

My father still uses a really old 2 door glass faced cabinet and so does my father in law.
I made a stand up gun rack similar to the ones Ive seen in gun stores and at the range.
I have a walk in closet in my office/den that was empty so I made it into a small gun room.
I added a steel door with a lock, Its not as secure as a safe but it does provide some protection and a place to store all my reloading stuff.
Like a smaller version of this guys room http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRKJ1IZPx2M
Old July 20, 2009, 03:05 PM   #8
Pahoo

To echo what arizona98tj has posted; Sadly we cannot get away with this kind of storage as well as standing them up in the corner of the closets or under our beds. Y'all know what I'm talking about. If some kid gets hurt because of an unsecured gun we will be legaly liable not to mention the civil suits. The older I get, the more concerned I am about our kids and not so much about the Gangstas.. I bought my safe about 15 years ago and have never regretted one moment. Look at it this way, an investment in a good safe is just that and you will always get your money back and then some.

Be Safe !!!!
Old July 20, 2009, 04:05 PM   #9
johnbt

I have often thought about buying or building a beautiful wooden cabinet with glass doors. I mean really, how much trouble would it be to pull some guns from the safe for an evening and then lock them back up for the night?

Or maybe just a 3- or 4-gun wall rack over the mantle. That would only require two trips to the safe.

John
Old July 20, 2009, 04:20 PM   #10
Farmland

I thought maybe I was one of the few. I never really found a need for a safe. I mean it isn't like someone is going to target my house for a theft because I have guns. Besides where I live they would take the whole house before anyone knew they were braking in. I knew of a person who liked to brag about his gun collection. One night when they were out they came home to find both heavy large gun safes were gone.

While I understand that a safe is a nice option for children I never had that problem. My children were taught early about guns. They knew the ground rules and obeyed. I still keep the gun case locked and added gun locks to each gun. But I never worried about kids and guns in my house. I guess if they want to they could break the glass and defeat the individual gun locks.

In any event I can remember when the wooden gun cabinet with etched glass doors stood in just about every ones living room. I couldn't afford those so we made this home made version out of veneer plywood.

I did add a pistol safe , well it is close to a safe. I just ran out of room for the pistols so for $79 I thought this was a deal.

//www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49812&d=1248124816[/URL]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pistolsafe.jpg (71.9 KB, 541 views)
Old July 23, 2009, 08:18 PM   #11
gearchecker

Gun safe? Do vaults count?

I wish I had a picture to show you of the most impressive gun safe I hve ever seen.

Back in the late 70's I was doing some construction contract work up in Michigan, and one day my customer asked if I would like to see his gun collection, of course I said yes. I was only 18 at the time and guns were at the top of my interest list.
He lead me to his basement and around a corner.
The next moment I was looking at a full sized Bank Vault Door about 5 ft wide. He opened it and there was the biggest gun collection I had ever seen.
I am not kidding, had has a full tripod mounted 50 cal machine gun with a loaded ammo belt setup & displayed in the middle of this huge 16 X 20 Ft concrete room. The entire perimeter at the ceiling line had almost every version of the Colt service 45 ever produced completly wrapping around it. Every pistol was in a framed, glass front shadow box. It was so cool! He told me that the room was 12" of reinforced concrete with an 8" rebar reinforced ceiling and a 12" concrete floor. He said that he has been a military gun collector for nearly all of his life.
He showed me a couple of fully auto rifles he had, some NATO autos and a few M-16's. My guess is that he has at least one of every type of military issue rifle in WWI & WWII.
From the 30-40 Krag, Sho-Sho's M1's, M14's, you name it, I guess he has one.
He had a copy his license to have the machine guns framed on the wall.
I just can't imagine the look on my face when he opened that door.
I never saw anything like it, and to this day haven't either.

He still has this collection and even more by now He's now in his late 70's and his 2 sons will be very wealthy when the time comes for him to leave this veil of tears, I'm sure..

I think I saw a little piece what heaven is going to be like!
I just wish I had a picture to show.
http://www.corneredcat.com
Old August 2, 2009, 08:49 PM   #12
mcintosh02

Is there anyone offering a metal safe with polycarb bullet resistant "glass"? Maybe veneered in wood?

Kind of the best of both worlds.
Old August 2, 2009, 08:53 PM   #13
hoytinak

Quote:
Is there anyone offering a metal safe with polycarb bullet resistant "glass"? Maybe veneered in wood?

Kind of the best of both worlds.
Now that would be cool, I'm sure you could have one special made but I wouldn't be able to afford it.
Old August 9, 2009, 09:55 PM   #14
Black_Sheep

Besides giving up a huge measure of security, wood cabinets offer zero fire protection. If you wish to protect your investment, a safe is the only way to go...
Old August 11, 2009, 02:12 PM   #15
mp25ds4

i put what i can on my gun rack. the rest stay in gun bags/ cases with the exception of my HD weapon

"My neighborhood as gone to hell, to put it mildly. Gang bangers live across the street, more than half of the houses have been bought and used for rentals over the past 10 years....and with the new foreclosures going on, I'm sure more will follow. Nothing against folks that rent....but the ones that show up here are the kind of neighbors you wish would move....and that is before you actually meet them face to face. LOL!!!"

you should go gran torino (the movie) on em'

Last edited by mp25ds4; August 11, 2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old August 11, 2009, 05:51 PM   #16
45Gunner

Love the look of the wood storage cabinet to display the guns but with the cost of replacement today, the only practical way to go is a good gun safe which is heat resistant. Additionally, in today's world, one can do serious jail time if a kid gets into your guns and kills someone...your fault. Didn't say I agree but by the law, it is your fault.

I shudder to think about the cost to replace my weapons. My collection has almost tripled in value since I purchased most of my guns and insurance is just way too expensive. A couple of grand to buy a decent safe with a fool proof installation is certainly a small price to pay for you own peace of mind
NRA Life Member
Old August 11, 2009, 06:47 PM   #17
armsmaster270

I love the wood Cabinets but, With all the Burglaries this is the way I went