The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 5, 2001, 05:23 PM   #1
BlueOrbit

I have a Remington 870 Police Magnum with 18-inch IC barrel and rifled sights. It is fairly accurate with rifled slugs out to 50 yards. I also tested it out on clay birds and (to my surprise) hit quite a few of them, even with the short barrel.

What are my scope options to make it more accurate with slugs. I was thinking about a red-dot Trijicon Reflex II on a Remington receiver mounted Weaver base pictured below:

What do you guys think? What are my scope & mount options:

- Low powered shotgun scope?
- Red-dot scope?
- Will the scope maintain zero
- Mounts?
- Another cantaleiver barrel?

Thanks for any input...

[Edited by BlueOrbit on 03-10-2001 at 02:47 PM]
Old March 5, 2001, 08:36 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

There' a couple of ways to do this, none are perfect....

Saddle mounts tend to lose zero after some shots.

Shotguns scopes take a beating.Stick to quality brands like Leopold.

Cantilever bbls work, but I'd like all makers to incoude 3 rings instead of two to keep the thing from drifting. In fairness, this is happening less recently.

Like quite a few others, I skip all the scope options and use a peep sight. Faster, as accurate, reliable, durable and unobtrusive. Take the aperture out in low light or thick conditions for that ghost ring effect, use the aperture for sighting in and bright days.

FYI, bench tests recently gave less than 5" groups at 100 yards, one shotgun gave not much more than 4" groups.
Old March 6, 2001, 06:21 PM   #3
BlueOrbit

Dave,

What is a "peep sight"? Is it a rifled sight?
Old March 6, 2001, 07:42 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Peep, more properly called aperture sights, use what looks like a little circle as a rear sight. One looks through it(the aperture) and centers the front sight in the middle, then places that on the target.

Most modern military rifles use peep sights,for speed of acquisition, accuracy etc. The AK and SKS are exceptions.
Old March 7, 2001, 12:33 AM   #5
Romulus

Dave, do you have a favorite peep sight that you would gladly recommend for an 870 Police? Other than the ubiquitous ghost ring sights that go for a mint that is...

Thank you...
Old March 7, 2001, 06:43 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Romulus, all of mine are either Williams or Lyman "Receiver" sights, oft with the aperture removed for that overpublicized Ghost Ring Effect.Both are good, the Lyman may have an edge on clicks.

First time I saw a GR sight was about 1960, a peep sans aperture mounted on an antique Remington rifle. The proud owner explained to me how it was fast and accurate. It sure looked better than the ladder sight on my stock 03 Springfield.

Note, installation of a peep requires a ramp and bead or post front of proper height.

I've no idea how prices run in your area, but doing this with a Williams here would leave you a little change from $100.
Old March 7, 2001, 09:18 PM   #7
Romulus

Would these be the type that mount flat on the side of the receiver and "hop over" the top? I like them...is installation an "expert project thing" or can it be done in a home shop (I can drill and tap ok, I'm worried about alignment, TDC and the rest...)

Then again I've seen gunsmith mounted sights that are quite visibly canted...

Thanks
Old March 8, 2001, 08:20 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

That's the kind. I'm no gunsmith, so I cannot judge how hard it would be for someone proficient to install.