The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 29, 2013, 03:10 PM   #1
M1ke10191

Had my first accidental discharge at the range yesterday.

I was shooting bulk Federal ammo in my new .22 bolt action at the range yesterday. As I was cycling the bolt, the next round fired before the bolt was even closed all the way (bolt hadn't even been advanced fully, let alone locked). I think the pressure from the bolt against the primer was somehow great enough to set it off. The case had a very light strike on it upon inspection, so I'm assuming the primer was way too sensitive, rather than a problem with my firing pin.

Just goes to show how important gun safety is. The rifle was pointed downrange, with the front supported on a rest while I was working the bolt, so it was a "safe" accidental discharge.

Is there any reason to contact Federal over this or is this a common thing with .22LR just like FTF's and FTE's? I don't want to send them an angry email or anything, but figured it might be worthwhile to at least let them know what happened.
Old April 29, 2013, 03:23 PM   #2
eldermike

That's a gun problem. The firing pin should not be sticking out of the bolt while the bolt is closing. Something is wrong with the gun.
Old April 29, 2013, 03:49 PM   #3
mehavey

+1

Get the bolt examined ASAP for a possible broken firing pin whose end-piece can jam into a protruding position.
Old April 29, 2013, 04:00 PM   #4
Pahoo

Great muzzle control

M1ke10191
I have had problems with Federal bulk as well as others. So much so, that I don't trust any of them. Oh, I still shoot them but have to watch out for problems. Of all the problems I've had, I've never had this one and I too would "first" suspect your rifle. I have communicated with Federal, in the past about some problems nad they are good folks to work with. ....

My compliments on your muzzle control. So many time we get all involved with the breech end, that we lose control of the muzzle. This is especially true when working with M/L's ...

Be Safe !!!
Old April 29, 2013, 04:08 PM   #5
cvc944

My favorite rule regarding firearms has always been 'never cover anything with the muzzle you are unwilling to destroy'. I bought a Remington 673 in .350 RM brand new. I was sitting in the living room with this unloaded rifle, dry-firing it to see just how bad the lawyer-friendly trigger was. Every 10 to 12 rounds the pin would fall when I closed the bolt. Had I not done the dry-firing in the house, that pin would have fallen on a live .350 Remington Magnum at the range. It is good gun safety that keeps mechanical malfunctions and human error from turning into tragedy.
Old April 29, 2013, 06:57 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

It won't do it unless the bolt is fully closed, but I have a Remington 511 that will fire reliably if the bolt is closed hard. The firing pin does not protrude nor does it fall. The headspace is too tight and the rim is pinched between the bolt face and the face of the barrel. There is no discernible mark on the fired case. When the bolt is closed normally, there is no problem.

Jim
Old April 29, 2013, 07:45 PM   #7
SaxonPig

Hell, I don't even consider it an AD if you don't blow out a wall or ceiling. I can't count how many rounds have gone downrange before I was 100% ready.
Old April 29, 2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Toolman

I had a .22 semi auto about 30 years ago that would go FA on occasion. I believe it was the ammo. I mic'd some of the rims & found that some were thicker than others. After sorting, I found the thick ones were firing out of battery.
Old May 3, 2013, 11:25 PM   #9
ndking1126

Saxon, do you live anywhere near Colorado spring?
Old May 4, 2013, 08:24 AM   #10
Rifleman1776

Agree, it is a gun/bolt problem, not the ammo.
I shoot Federal bulk all the time. About one fail to fire per box of 550. Good stuff.
Old May 4, 2013, 09:39 AM   #11
SaxonPig

I didn't say it happens often. In 46 years I have shot the floor once and the wall once. The floor wasn't my fault. The wall totally was.
Old May 4, 2013, 07:54 PM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Drifting into centerfire bolt actions: I noticed my uncle, after unloading his bolt-action, stick a pinky finger into the chamber. "How come?" I asked.

He explained that years before, my father had unloaded a Model 70 in .257 Roberts, closed the bolt and pulled the trigger.

It was very loud in the bedroom. High db in a closed space is painful.

So, that pinky-finger habit has stayed with me through many decades. Yeah, it may look empty, but insurance is a Good Thing.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:20 AM   #13
L_Killkenny

Art, I have a similar story with my MKII 22/45 that keeps me checking chambers. Got back in from shooting and decided the gun needed cleaning. Dropped the mag, cycled the gun twice, pointed it at the floor and pulled the trigger. Unpleasantly surprised to say the least.

LOOK and then LOOK again. LOOKING another time never hurt a dang thing either.
Old May 6, 2013, 11:03 AM   #14
Ricklin

LCI?

The last couple of posts make a good case for a loaded chamber indicator. I have seen them done nicely (Glock) and very poorly (Ruger .22) The Ruger one was so bad I got rid of it, and turned an unreliable pistol in to a reliable one.
Old May 6, 2013, 11:07 AM   #15
L_Killkenny

I haven't had a lick of problems with my MKIII with the LCI. Still, I find em pointless and a false security blanket. Yes I use mine, look at it often. And still check the chamber!.
Old May 6, 2013, 11:11 AM   #16
Plumbnut

IMO there are at least two types of accidental discharges.

User caused accidental discharges and gun malfunction accidental discharges.

Both qualify as a accidental discharge.
Old May 6, 2013, 11:59 AM   #17
Boomer58cal

I've shot over 100,000 rds of bulk .22 and never had that happen. I've even worn out a 10/22 barrel. Not a rifling in it. It's your gun.

Boomer
Old May 6, 2013, 04:44 PM   #18
csmsss

Quote:
The last couple of posts make a good case for a loaded chamber indicator. I have seen them done nicely (Glock) and very poorly (Ruger .22) The Ruger one was so bad I got rid of it, and turned an unreliable pistol in to a reliable one.
I couldn't disagree more. I can think of no conceivable reason for a LCI other than laziness. ALL firearms are loaded and should be treated as such.
Old May 6, 2013, 04:46 PM   #19
csmsss

Quote:
IMO there are at least two types of accidental discharges.

User caused accidental discharges and gun malfunction accidental discharges.

Both qualify as a accidental discharge.
I disagree. I would say there are gun malfunctions that produce an unintentional (accidental) discharge, and then there are negligent discharges that are caused by improper or careless use of the firearm. I don't consider them two flavors of ice cream. I consider them entirely separate phenomena which share only a symptom.
Old May 6, 2013, 04:49 PM   #20
csmsss

Quote:
I was shooting bulk Federal ammo in my new .22 bolt action at the range yesterday. As I was cycling the bolt, the next round fired before the bolt was even closed all the way (bolt hadn't even been advanced fully, let alone locked). I think the pressure from the bolt against the primer was somehow great enough to set it off. The case had a very light strike on it upon inspection, so I'm assuming the primer was way too sensitive, rather than a problem with my firing pin.

Just goes to show how important gun safety is. The rifle was pointed downrange, with the front supported on a rest while I was working the bolt, so it was a "safe" accidental discharge.

Is there any reason to contact Federal over this or is this a common thing with .22LR just like FTF's and FTE's? I don't want to send them an angry email or anything, but figured it might be worthwhile to at least let them know what happened.
Wow - that must have been an incredibly surprising event, especially with a new rifle (or was it a used rifle that was "new" to you?).

That you obeyed the standard rules of firearm safety is what made this essentially a non-event. In fact, no accidental discharge should EVER produce an injury, because no firearm should ever be pointed in the direction of something you don't want to destroy.
Old May 7, 2013, 04:19 AM   #21
Death from Afar

Good for you in having the courage to admitting in public an incident like this.
Old May 7, 2013, 06:18 PM   #22
Toolman

My $0.02 worth.

You've had a slam-fire. Check the bolt on the gun to make sure the firing pin is functioning ok. Check the chamber to make sure nothing is keeping the case from bottoming out in the chamber. Years ago I had a Savage semi-auto rifle that would go FA on me.....no indication when it would do it. It did it with one certain kind of ammo. I checked the rims on the shells and found that some of them were thicker than the ones that fired ok. It was firing out of battery.
Old May 7, 2013, 07:28 PM   #23
M1ke10191

Had my first accidental discharge at the range yesterday.

It was a brand new rifle. I'm not sure how to tell if the firing pin is properly functioning, to be honest. I'll probably give Marlin a call.

The great thing about this forum is I really wouldn't have suspected the firing pin, so I'm glad you guys gave your thoughts.