The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 1, 2011, 07:23 PM   #1
Cheapshooter

OK, others ask for suggestions. Why not me?

I often read posts about "What should I buy" Sometimes I make suggestions, sometimes it's just "You gotta find out for yourself!". So, why shouldn't I join in and ask, "What next?"
What I've been thing about:
1. Charter Arms 44 spcl Bulldog.
Wanted one since they first came out in the 70's.

2. Ruger LC9
Smaller than my EC CCW XD40 Sub, more power than my pocket LCP. Shot
a friends LC9, and liked it!

3. Ruger LCR
No need, just think it's cool.

4. Glock 17.
Didn't have a Glock. Didn't have a 10. Bought a G20 a while back, and love
it! Why not the one that started it all?

5. Ruger SP101 22 Rimfire.
Smaller, but $200 less than a Mod 617 S&W I've been wanting. Don't know
if I want to chance a Taurus 990.

6. Kel-Tec PMR30.
Don't know why, just the cool factor. 30 rnds of 22WMR in a pistol.

7. Colt Umerex 1911 22.
I've really gotten into shooting rimfires, and this would be a great
companion to my other 1911's

8. More barrel/scopes for my contender.
Got it with a Super 14 35 Remington barrel, Burris 1.5-4 scope, 14 " 22
rimfire barrel, and added a 4X Weaver scope. Now I'm thinking 45-70
and either 223 or 204 Ruger and appropriate scope.

9. CZ SP01.
Feels great, and 9's are like Jello. there's always room for more.

10. S&W 617 4".
Forget the bank account, and go for it?

I don't need any of the above. Just like to add to my collection. I'm well represented by brands, and calibers. Not being fixed to any. Commercial, and Milsurps alike. I just like to shoot. In fact, my last purchase a couple weeks ago, please don't laugh, a Hi-Point C9! Like I said, don't laugh. the thing shot great when I tried it out a couple days ago. Accurate, and fun to shoot.
So, help me spend my kids inheritance guys!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 1, 2011, 08:08 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have some of those guns (not all) and I think for pure fun at low cost, the S&W Model 617 (or a good used K-22) would be hard to beat. The Ruger 101 is a good gun, but the S&W has it beat on trigger pull (DA and SA) and general feel (IMHO).

Some of the others are fine for the purpose they were made for, like the LC9 and the Charter Bulldog, but aren't guns I would get a lot of fun out of shooting and would be very costly to shoot unless you reload.

The .22 WMR has some things going for it, but it also combines the worst features - high cost of factory ammo and no reloading.

Jim
Old October 1, 2011, 08:14 PM   #3
qqq1

I just bought a #3 with the better sight on it and I love it. That's really the only one on your list I know anything about.
Old October 1, 2011, 09:14 PM   #4
The Real Wyatt

Cheapshooter said:
"I don't need any of the above. Just like to add to my collection. I'm well represented by brands, and calibers. Not being fixed to any. Commercial, and Milsurps alike. I just like to shoot. In fact, my last purchase a couple weeks ago, please don't laugh, a Hi-Point C9! Like I said, don't laugh. the thing shot great when I tried it out a couple days ago. Accurate, and fun to shoot."

Then you don't have THE ADDICTION. i NEED all of the above. In fact, I have most of the above.

Your next purchase? The Kel-Tec PMR 30 if you can find one. Mine is an absolute gas to shoot. I even carry it occasionally. 31 .22 WMRs to center mass would surely wreck any bad guys day.

Any of the Rugers mentioned would also be a fine purchase. Get 'em all if you can swing it.

The 1911-22? Oh hell yes!

The rest of 'em? Not particularly on my list, but if'n you've got the cash ... why not?
Old October 1, 2011, 09:41 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter
I don't need any of the above. Just like to add to my collection. I'm well represented by brands, and calibers. Not being fixed to any. Commercial, and Milsurps alike. I just like to shoot. In fact, my last purchase a couple weeks ago, please don't laugh, a Hi-Point C9! Like I said, don't laugh. the thing shot great when I tried it out a couple days ago. Accurate, and fun to shoot.
So, help me spend my kids inheritance guys!
Was there a question in your post? Oh, yeah -- "What next?"

Colt/Umarex .22 1911.
Old October 1, 2011, 10:57 PM   #6
Sevens

I say -- DO IT! But if you want my opinions on each, I'll play the game.
Just how I see it.

1) If you can find one from the 70s, live out your dream. IMO, the current ones are really poor in build quality. I simply don't think these are quality handguns. YMMV.

2) LC9 does little for me. I have SOLVED the dilemma everyone has with pocket size and mid-size guns... everyone always talks about how good the little pistol is because it's so much better than the .45 left on the dresser. Well, I don't have that problem because I don't own ANY small guns. I choose to carry daily, so I carry my primary and I don't forget it or get lazy about it and there's nothing else that I can carry instead. If I'm wearing something over my underwear when I leave the house, I've typically got my EDC or my car gun. I would skip the micro-9mm, especially anything brand new from Ruger before the bugs are worked out.

3) My buddy has an LCR. It's not cool... it's ugly. It's not horribly bad to shoot, but I can't seem to hit with it. He uses it for ankle carry when he's riding his motorcycle. Otherwise, it doesn't see much use. I couldn't see me owning one of these, but it's certainly lighter than it's classic competitors.

4) I own one Glock and it's my EDC, a G29. It does exactly what I want and I have a heap of respect for it. The next time I choose to buy a Glock will only be because my EDC is stolen or lost or blown up. I don't care for Glock pistols, so a G17 wouldn't be on my shopping list.

5) I wouldn't chance the Taurus either. The SP-101 looks like a fine revolver. If it's down to deciding between the SP-101 and a new k-frame S&W rimfire, get the Ruger. Unless you can get an older Model 17 -- and get THAT one instead!

6) The PMR-30 is indeed one I'd like to shoot. I have picked it up and seriously... I couldn't believe it. I could carve a PMR-30 out of foam and it would weigh twice as much. I'd be scared of it's durability and I'm still leery of the price until they flood the market, but interesting? You bet. I'd like to try one, too.

7) Naaa... this pistol is no more Colt than is the $25 Air-Soft Delta Elite that I picked up at Wal-Mart a couple of years ago. For my buck, I'd go with the GSG if you want a rimfire 1911. Or snag the Sig version, it's the same thing. Either way, I'd take almost anything BEFORE the Chiappa, so steer clear of that one.

8) I have two barrels for my Contender... and I can't even describe how much I love my Super-14 in .223... and how much I hate my 10-inch .44 Magnum barrel. The .223 is a tack driver... this rig never fails to impress. The .44 Mag barrel will get more from any .44 round than any revolver with a 10-inch tube and no flash gap -- but WOW, it's uncomfortable to shoot. There's just no weight, so it beats you up. I'm flat-out scared to scope it because if it thumps me that awfully, I'm thinking it's going to destroy any budget scope I stick on there. And I won't spend big bucks on glass for it, because I don't enjoy shooting it.

9) I don't care much for how that one looks. Tell you what though... if you are willing to spend a bit more for a similar one that does it SO much better, do what I did-- Tanfoglio Witness Elite Match in 9mm. It's BY FAR the most accurate 9mm I've had the pleasure to shoot and it runs and runs and simply will not stop. I feed it 125gr LRN handloads and it never even gives a hiccup. Terrific pistol, and it's making me look brilliant for throwing caution to the wind and buying it. MSRP is $667, I got mine new for $519.

10) Nope... get an older one. You'll pay the same as a new one, but you'll have a better revolver. Sure, the older ones are all blued and no stainless... but it's a better gun. No regrets.

Bonus #11) Gotta recommend a goofy one... the same one I always recommend when the subject is simply, "I like handguns, I don't have a specific need or want, just want to have some fun." My .30 Carbine Ruger Blackhawk is extremely fun. It's very, very accurate and very easy to shoot accurately, even at extreme (for handgun) distances. It's a blast on the range because of the ridiculous noise that it makes for such a small cartridge. The fireball, muzzle blast and lack of significant, evil recoil just adds to the show. It's only a 110 grain bullet, and the gun itself is mongo-sized, so the felt recoil is very little.

There are some warts with a .30 Carbine Blackhawk... to be honest, I would proabably recommend a .327 Federal Ruger GP-100 instead... because the cartridges are quite similar. I suppose it depends on what you like and how you'd feed it. Either way, one of these might not have occurred to you, so that's what I'd add for this topic.
Old October 2, 2011, 07:09 AM   #7
CajunBass

I don't have a 44 Bulldog, but I do have a couple of Charter Arms 38 Undercovers from back in the day. Good guns for the money. I would think a Bulldog would be too.

I looked at the SP-101, 22 the other day. Not a bad choice I don't suppose. I don't care for stainless steel, and I don't care for that fiber optic sight, but what would really keep me from buying one is the fact that I could probably find a Smith & Wesson Model 18 for less. I paid $460.00 for a five screw "Pre-18" in excellent condition, a couple of months ago. They're out there. The hunt is half the fun.

Same applies to the 617 question.

The rest I have no opinions on.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 2, 2011, 07:46 AM   #8
surveyor

I'll play along..
. Charter Arms 44 spcl Bulldog.
i'd prefer a pre lock P&R s&w but would consider one during a time with good quality control.
2. Ruger LC9
prefer a kahr k9/mk9 though
3. Ruger LCR
would like to shoot one, before making my mind up. still not a big fan of plastic weapons.
4. Glock 17.
as far as plastic goes, why not a long slide..
5. Ruger SP101 22 Rimfire.
would prefer a smith 18-2 or earlier
6. Kel-Tec PMR30.
i'd consider it more if in 22lr..if in pistol, 22 wmr if carbine for cost of 22wmr would prefer to shoot 9mm
7. Colt Umerex 1911 22.
for a dedicated 1911-22 i was seriously looking at the sig..otherwise a marvel unit 1 conversion.
8. More barrel/scopes for my contender.
no contenders here, but the 223 would get my nod.
9. CZ SP01.
tough call..i'd either go for a eaa witness match, or a cz custom single action on a 85 combat frame. if a cz, the cadet 22 conversion would be a must have. as well as a modified uplula for loading the pesky 22 mags
10. S&W 617 4".
i'd opt for a model 17 6", without the full underlug. preferably pre 1957.
yes, they are worth looking for. a joy to shoot
11. S&W 14 k38 6", preferabally pre 1957.. nice mate to the 17&18..
12. S&W 25-2 6" 45 acp...and a double handful of moon clips.
13. High Standard model 103 supermatic ciation, thumbrest grips, Hamden Ct manufacture 1960s vintage.
one can't have too many good 22's

Last edited by surveyor; October 2, 2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old October 2, 2011, 08:09 AM   #9
JerryM

One can spend a lot of money for guns or things he does not need. Why not invest the money in utility stocks, Gov bonds or other relatively safe investments and start saving for retirement or a home?

You cannot make so much money you cannot spend it all and end up broke. If money burns a hole in your pocket you will never have any.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old October 2, 2011, 08:51 AM   #10
OkieCruffler

.223 barrel without a doubt. You have the carry gun covered go with what's fun. And there's really no point in having a Contender if you don't have a 223 barrel to go with it.
Old October 2, 2011, 08:56 AM   #11
*NOVA*

OP wants to spend his kid's inheritance, might as well buy high quality firearms so at least his poor kids will have something worth having when their parents pass on.
Old October 2, 2011, 10:22 AM   #12
buck460XVR

Quote:
OP wants to spend his kid's inheritance, might as well buy high quality firearms so at least his poor kids will have something worth having when their parents pass on.
I've used that excuse myself a few times to buy a firearm.....

The problem I have with folks coming on a public forum and asking "which one of these should I buy?" is generally one of two things. First, sometimes it is just a ego booster for the OP to brag to others, "Hey, I've got money to burn, what should I spend it on?" Asking others to verify their choice shows they are only buying the firearm to impress others. The second is, if one is going to make an substantial investment, shouldn't they know what THEY need and what they WANT? If these folks need to ask, they apparently don't know their OWN needs and wants.

I have no problem with folks asking about the pros and cons of various firearms and/or other's experiences, positive or negative. But the question "which one should I buy?" generally means one of the two above scenarios.

Sorry, just my two cents.
Old October 2, 2011, 11:26 AM   #13
Cheapshooter

Quote:
One can spend a lot of money for guns or things he does not need. Why not invest the money in utility stocks, Gov bonds or other relatively safe investments and start saving for retirement or a home?

You cannot make so much money you cannot spend it all and end up broke. If money burns a hole in your pocket you will never have any.

I am retired, do own a home, boat, 4-wheeler, fishing stuff, guns, more guns, more fishing stuff, travel, have kids, and a beautiful grand daughter, and enjoy enjoying my life, family, and friends!!!! Something I have worked hard all my life to be able to do!!!

In many cases I refer posters to the second line in my signature below. In your case, I'll refer you to the first!
Old October 2, 2011, 05:08 PM   #14
Kimbertron

Some of these responses make it seem like the OP had a picture of himself with cash busting out of the pockets saying "what should i waste this money on next?". I have started a thread about what i wanted to buy next and im a broke college student slowly saving for it. I just hope when i retire my biggest worry is what firearm should i buy next . But anyway... a 1911 .22 would probably be a blast so my vote goes to that .
Old October 2, 2011, 06:10 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Some of these responses make it seem like the OP had a picture of himself with cash busting out of the pockets saying "what should i waste this money on next?".
Some people on here get it, some don't!
It was just a thread about a wish list. Yes, I'll probably be buying something soon, but when the "extra" money is there after the bills are paid, etc.
As far as spending my kids inheritance, I guess some people are too serious to have ever seen the bumper sticker on the back of RV's!
My kids are doing OK, and like me when I was their age, glad to see Mom and Dad enjoying retirement, and not worried about what's in it for them when I'm gone!
Now to get this back on topic!
Sevens, what power scope would you recommend for 14" 223 Contender? Would something in the 2-8 range work well, or does it need more. Like a 4-12?
Old October 2, 2011, 10:37 PM   #16
Sevens

Man, you asked the ONE question that I can sit here and tell you that I thought I knew... and now I'm only sure I don't know ENOUGH about! Let me explain...

Set up my .223 Super 14 in 1992. (man, that was a while ago!) I bought and mounted a Bushnell Trophy Handgun 2-6x X 32mm scope... on a Weaver base with Burris steel rings. I dropped about $180 in to the scope, rings and base (1992 dollars) which seemed like a lot of dough to me at the time, but it's a Bushnell so in comparison, I'm sure I was going on the cheap.

The scope has been a ROCK for me... never had to re-mount and have never had any kind of problem or wandering zero. But I haven't been perfectly happy with it because it only goes to 6x power.

Fact is, finding a long eye relief handgun scope that goes up high in magnification is simply difficult. There are many that go to 7x and I know that Burris makes the most magnification of any handgun scope on the market that runs to 12x. My complaint was that shooting tiny groups on paper at 100 yards is damn difficult because I can't see the detail of any target at that distance with only 6x. So for years... I've wanted to upgrade.

The Burris scope has had my interest for well over a year... it can be brought home for under $500. That's a lot of jack in my world.

'Bout a month back, I was on a rifle range with some really talented riflemen and I was pretty much just killing time with a buddy who was pounding some ammo through his AR. I had a target at 50 yards and with the Contender on sandbags, it was like shooting fish in a barrel at that distance. Raged one hole group with 8 shots.

Was talking to one of the riflemen about distance shooting with it and he told me that if I had my sights hitting right at 50 yards, I should be able to hit about the same at 200... and that if I could shoot it at 200 yards and show that to him, he could make the sight adjustment to put me on his 12-inch steel plate at 300 yards.

So it was on! I was being called out, so I took the direction and advice and worked with the guy. I had FIVE rounds left in my box. He wanted a shot at 50 yards on his plate to check my zero. He wanted one more shot to prove that I would drop them in the same place. Then he made a small adjustment and wanted another at 50 yards to check his adjustment. I gave him those three shots where he wanted them.

He directed me to the 200 yard steel plate and I rang it, not sure where on the plate I hit it. (he had the 60x spotting scope... I had my 6x LER handgun scope!)

He made a suggestion for my elevation adjustment. I chimed in that with my 14" barrel that I was probably a good 100 or 150 FPS behind his 20" barrel. (not sure... just my guess) He altered his suggestion by two clicks.

He made the call, I made the adjustment and then everyone there kept quiet and all eyes were on me and this 12-inch clean white steel plate, 300 yards out.

No artistic license... I had one round remaining. There wasn't going to be any more shots fired. I felt right about it, let it go and I had to ask my buddy if I hit it. At 50 yards, you can heard it DING easily. At 200 yards, I heard it, but just barely. I didn't hear anything at 300 yards and I couldn't see the target after the shot broke.

I nailed it, and dead-damn center. Unreal. You could call it lucky, but I think it was more coaching and confidence in the rig. The guy helping me knew where my bullet was supposed to go with his adjustments. I knew that my handgun was quite capable of pulling off the feat. I had a terrific, solid rest and a clear sight picture. I trusted his adjustments and I knew my rig wouldn't be the cause of any failure.

300 yards... I'd call that one pretty close to dead center!

So.... ask me again, what kind of scope do you need on a Super 14 Contender in .223?

My answer: Hell if I know! I thought I wanted something stronger than 6x, but I'm afraid to take this scope OFF my rig!

The load was LC brass with a 55-grain Midway bulk "Dogtown" 55 grain SP bullet over 19.6 grains of H-4198 and Wolf small rifle primers.
Old October 2, 2011, 10:45 PM   #17
Cheapshooter

Great shooting! I just sent a PM to a guy on another forum that has a 14" barrel off of a G2 for $160. Going to get it, and I also found a T/C recoil proof 2.5-7 scope on ebay. $125 starting bid, no bids yet, $140 buy it now. Might be a good one to start with!
Thanks for youe input. Glad to hear from the guys that "got it" with my OP!
Old October 2, 2011, 10:51 PM   #18
orionengnr

I understand your user name and I imagine it relates to your purchasing decisions...

That said...I would rather spend my money on quality than quantity, That is based uopn experience, not opinion.
Quote:
1. Charter Arms 44 spcl Bulldog.
Wanted one since they first came out in the 70's.
After owning two S&Ws (396 and 696) and one Taurus (431) I would not buy a CA .44 Spl.

Quote:
2. Ruger LC9 Smaller than my EC CCW XD40 Sub, more power than my pocket LCP. Shot a friends LC9, and liked it
!I have owned enough K-T and other similar 9mms. My Kahr PM9 beats all of them hands down.

Quote:
3. Ruger LCR No need, just think it's cool.
After owning a half-dozen J-frames, I fail to see the point. Larger than a PM9 and minus 2 rounds. I no longer own any j-frames.

Quote:
4. Glock 17. Didn't have a Glock. Didn't have a 10. Bought a G20 a while back, and love it! Why not the one that started it all?
Glocks never did anything for me. Owned several, no longer own one. If I find a G20 or a G29 at the right price I will snatch it up.

Quote:
5. Ruger SP101 22 Rimfire. Smaller, but $200 less than a Mod 617 S&W I've been wanting. Don't know if I want to chance a Taurus 990.
Okay, we may be on to something here. I own an S&W M-18, but if I didn't, this might be tempting.

Quote:
6. Kel-Tec PMR30. Don't know why, just the cool factor. 30 rnds of 22WMR in a pistol.
7. After my experience with four different Kel-Tecs, there will never be another in my house. Period.

Quote:
Colt Umerex 1911 22. I've really gotten into shooting rimfires, and this would be a great companion to my other 1911's
I know nothing about this firearm, so I will refrain from comment.
Old October 2, 2011, 11:18 PM   #19
OkieCruffler

I have a Bushy 6-24X riflescope on my .223 rig. It takes a different technique but it's been effective for me shooting out to 400. really let's you ring the accuracy out of the Contender.
Old October 2, 2011, 11:31 PM   #20
Sevens

Don't think for a MINUTE that I haven't considered doing exactly that.

As a silly kid, I mounted a .22 rimfire rifle scope on a Crosman CO2 pellet gun with a six inch barrel. (my high tech mount was black electrical tape) After knocking a couple birds out of the backyard trees through a cellar window at a ridiculous distance for a CO2 pellet gun, I was sold on the concept... but it's REALLY "not right" to hold a handgun that close to your face.

If I saw some pictures, video or watched someone first hand shooting one, I might warm up to the idea. Without that knowledge... it just doesn't seem to compute for me.

But yes, I've thought about that MANY a time.
Old October 2, 2011, 11:49 PM   #21
OkieCruffler

Here's a movie of a guy who looks kinda like me but much heavier and with bad hair shooting with a rifle scope.
http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...nguptheLOG.mp4
Okay, to answer a few questions before they're asked. Yes, the scope did kiss my glasses on the first shot. This was a batch of necksized brass that i hadn't set the shoulder back far enough on which was causing misfires.
This is my 6tcu super bull barrel (The Logg) the rig weighs over 9 pounds so on a normal 223 you have to back off the scope a little more (or I could give you a reloading recipe where you can snuggle right up to the scope). Note the placement of my left hand. You place your hand there and just give alittle forward pressure to you right wrist and it will keep the pistol from jumping back. I know guys who shoot 6.5/284's this way and don't have black eyes, but it takes practice and you do loose alot of your FOV. But if you're popping PD's at 400 even the 12X doesn't cut it. Not for me anyway.
Old October 3, 2011, 12:26 AM   #22
Sevens

Yeah... too close for my tastes.
If only there were some kind of $10 eyepiece that we could clamp on to a rifle scope to give it LER just like that!

I can't see myself snuggling that close to my glass without a rifle stock in my shoulder.

Why is it called the "Logg" ?
Old October 3, 2011, 12:28 AM   #23
OkieCruffler

That's what the fella who sold me the blank called it. It's a 16.5" long 1.5" in diameter barrel. Not the best choice for toting around in the field.
Old October 3, 2011, 01:35 AM   #24
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I understand your user name and I imagine it relates to your purchasing decisions...
Not all. It mostly came from my C&R purchases. No "collector grade" anything. everything I own goes to the range, and gets shot. I have found some great shooting Milsurps for +/- $100.
Some cheap "new" guns sneak in from time to time. A Rough Rider that turned out to a a great shooter with a little old fashioned front sight tweaking, and just a few weeks ago, a Hi-Point C9!!! I know, but I bought it just to see how bad they can actually be. Search around the threads, and you'll find my range report on it. It really surprised me how accurate it is. One FTF with good ammo on the 3rd round, the next nearly 300 rnds gave 100% reliability. It's gonna be a fun range toy!
BTW, on this go round, I guess you could say my October purchase, I've decided on a Super 14 223 barrel and appropriate scope for my G2 Contender. Coincidentally, it was another cheap purchase. A G2 stainless, 35 Remington Super 14 barrel, 14" 22 LR Match barrel, Burris 1.5-4 scope, and Boyt case for .....$250!!! Sometimes being a "cheap shooter" pays off!
Old October 3, 2011, 06:48 AM   #25
Sevens

Wow, that was a steal. $250 for all those goodies?!