The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 31, 2010, 10:03 PM   #1
Glade

Model 20 for sale?

Dear fellow gun lovers,

I have just received a Colt Navy but I really feel the need to get a large cartridge revolver. I like the Smith and Wesson N frame (as anyone should) but I feel most of their magnums are to "mainstream". I always shoot for originality so i'd like to purchase a Model 20 in .38/44. I like to prospect of loading my own ammo and having it be a "rarity". If anyone finds one on "Gunsamerica" or "Gunbroker" or any other place or site please comment or send me a message.

Thanks amigos,

-Glade
Old December 31, 2010, 11:36 PM   #2
Dave T

There are a number of them for sale at the various auction and sales sites. Any reason you can't do your own looking? Seems an odd request.

Dave
Old January 1, 2011, 09:40 AM   #3
Glade

I am, they just are rather uncommon, and hard to come buy and I cant be all over the country so if someone finds one or has one for sale than it would be easier. I don't mean to be lazy at all.

Thanks,

-Glade
Old January 1, 2011, 11:13 AM   #4
carguychris

I recommend placing a "WTB" ad on the S&W forum.

FWIW I'd also recommend expanding your search to include the pre-1957 named-model .38/44 Heavy Duty. The gun sold far better during the prewar period because the .357Mag cartridge hadn't stolen its thunder yet; sales dropped off dramatically in the postwar period after less-expensive .357Mag. revolvers were introduced by S&W and other gunmakers. Numbered Model 20s are the proverbial needles in a haystack. The pre-57 .38/44 still quite a rare and unique gun, but it's easier to find.
Old January 1, 2011, 11:39 AM   #5
mes227

I just saw a 38/44 Heavy Duty listed somewhere....I'll try to figure out where and report back.
Old January 1, 2011, 11:58 AM   #6
Mal H
Staff

As Dave T said that is a fairly odd request. Finding a firearm for you somewhere else isn't quite like finding a George Foreman Grill. It can't simply be purchased for you and shipped to you.

I suppose your "can't be all over the country" statement applies to your "or any other place or site" statement, not to Gunbroker, etc.

So, if someone does find one at a pawn shop in a different state, for example, how are you going to buy it without going all over the country?
Old January 1, 2011, 02:57 PM   #7
Buzzcook

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=208965448

There ya go

Tags
.38/44 , gunbroker , model 20 , revolver , smith and wesson