The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 17, 2012, 12:19 AM   #1
Dsobelman

Noob saving old lemon squeezer

I have a .38 S&W lemon squeezer, 4th model. serial 1758xx (1906-7?)
It was Great grandpas, grandpas, moms, now mine.

Mom had it in a foam style holster and it's quite rusted now. I read a little about 0000 steel wool and thought I could clean the rust off with one of those green scrub pads... yeah, took finish off and scratched it good in 2 seconds flat.

I got it when mom passed day after thanksgiving, really want to save it, it has a lot of sentimental value, was her pride and joy. (used it to defend herself about 15years ago). Do not know if it's been fired since then, it was loaded!! when I got it.

I know it's going to cost more than the gun is typically worth to have it properly redone, which I cannot afford at the moment.

So can I just put the whole gun in a sealed plastic container of wd40 or something to halt the damage until I can afford it?

Or Does anyone know any shops that would do it and just hold it and take payments until the service is paid for?

Thanks (and sorry if this may be in wrong place, just joined)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12-16-12_1751.jpg (178.0 KB, 69 views)
Old December 17, 2012, 03:11 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Just keep it oiled until you refinish it.
Old December 17, 2012, 11:16 AM   #3
Dsobelman

suggested oil? sorry very new to this. have fired many friends and familys weapons, but never actually owned or learned/needed to clean or care for one before. other than basic safety, always loaded, always know where it's pointed, assume can go off any time, keep finger off trigger, etc. i basically know zip about them. thanks for replying.
Old December 17, 2012, 11:39 AM   #4
tmistrot

I'd advise against WD-40. You can pick up a small bottle of Rem Oil, (Remington brand), or any of several other brands of gun oil for less than $5.00 anywhere guns are sold, even Wal-Mart.

Keep the gun wiped down with it and keep it stored in a cool dry place.

Due to it's being a family heirloom, if it were me, I would contact Smith & Wesson and ask what they charge to refinish the gun. I've seen their work on a few guns that needed lots of work, (surface rust, mild pitting, etc.), and it is outstanding.

From what I've read, it does not detract from the firearms value, and they originally made the gun, so to me, it's a no-brainer to just use them. You want it done right, and that little revolver deserves the best, doesn't it?
Old December 17, 2012, 04:43 PM   #5
Yankee Doodle

I had a few oldies that were left to me by my Dad. I buggered up the finish on an old Smith (pre-Mod 10) M&P. I consider the money I spent to have Smith re-finish the piece some of the best cash I have ever spent. It now sits in a hermetically sealed shadow box, with a picture of my Dad holding it.
I guess my point is, have it re-finished by Smith, even if you have to save up to do it. You will then have a perfect piece to pass on to the next generation.
Just my opinion
Old December 18, 2012, 01:10 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Not shooting it? RIG gun grease.

When its refinished and it's not ever going to be shot, Renaissance Wax. It's PH neutral, developed by the British Museum and is good for protection metal, wood and leather.