The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 16, 2002, 11:07 PM   #1
Andrew Wyatt

how to build a 50 dollar HK type sling for somewhat less than 50 dollars.

for this project, you'll need:

five plastic 1 inch slides (strap adjusters)

one six to 7 foot length of 1 inch tubular nylon webbing

First off, you'll need to burn the ends of the webbing slightly so the webbing doesn't unravel.

then, thread everything through according to the drawing attached.

slide 1 is the muzzle end, and it keeps the sling attached to the front sling swivel.

slide two is an optional stop slide that keeps the tail end of the sling from sliding up too far.

slide three is the slide that attaches the tail end of the sling to the middle portion of the sling, and allos it to slide forward and back to adjust how much slack you have.

slide four is a stop to keep the sling from trying to cut you in half.

slide five is a what keeps the tail end of the sling attached to slide three.

I have this setup attached to my mossy right now, and it seems to work pretty well. the strap is slick, which allows it to move around, which is a good thing with this kind of sling, and it seems to retain the gun very well.
Attached Images
File Type: gif sling.gif (2.9 KB, 283 views)
Old August 17, 2002, 05:07 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

On behalf of fellow cheapskates, of which I must lead the pack, thank you.
Old August 17, 2002, 05:16 PM   #3
BigG

Thanks, this beats an old Martha Stewart recipe any day!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old August 17, 2002, 11:23 PM   #4
shootingbuff

Yes thanks much,

sb

sb
Old August 17, 2002, 11:24 PM   #5
Andrew Wyatt

The all up cost of this was about 5 bucks, and it seems to be working pretty good.

This all got started when I started looking for a good tactical sling for my mossy, since the m-16 sling on it wasn't very fast when i wanted to transition to pistol unless i dropped the gun on the ground, and i'd rather not leave a perfectly functional weapon on the ground for BG's to pick up.

After shopping around, I found like six different sling manufacturers with a suitable sling, but they all cost 50-60 dollars.
The cheapest of the bunch was the wilderness sling, but it was still expensive. what it did have was throughly detailed instructions on how to assemble their sling and mount it on a weapon, which i promptly used to assemble my own sling out of locally procured components for the LOW LOW LOW price of 5.95.

I'm probably going to make some and sell them with some sling rings i make as a kit for seven bucks or so.