The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 20, 2001, 02:39 PM   #1
MilesTeg

Polishing Slide Rails?

Has anyone here polished their slide rails or other mating surfaces on their pistols. I have a Beretta 8045 and the where the slide rides on the frame it is a bit rough in some spots. I was planning to take some Flitz. Is this ok to do? If so, what do you use and how have you done it.

Also, besides the feed ramp are there any other parts/areas that you would recommend be polished?

Thanks
Old July 20, 2001, 09:59 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Polishing the rails simply simulates wear and can cause a loose fit. Is the slide actually hard to work or grating, or do you just see high spots and want to make things neater? If the latter, don't worry about it, just shoot the gun.

Jim
Old July 21, 2001, 12:31 AM   #3
MilesTeg

Yep, it's just high spots. Looks like the Bruniton finish is speckled along the lower receiver where the upper rides. I was thinking about removing this speckling if it could cause a problem. No grabing or binding is going on that I can detect. I had also just read an article in American Handgunner where the reviewer always uses a little JB Bore paste on his rails and other areas that come together. Thought there might be something to it and wanted to ask. Definitely don't want to accelerate the wear. I'll just leave it alone.

Thanks
Old July 21, 2001, 08:47 AM   #4
johnwill

Shooting the gun will polish the rails in any spots they need polishing. Polishing them by hand may remove material where you don't need to.
Old July 21, 2001, 05:25 PM   #5
BigG

Sure, I polished the slide rails on many a gun. It takes about ten boxes of cartridges.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC