The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 19, 2013, 05:43 AM   #1
kx592

Replacing muzzle device

In a state where no flash hiders are allowed, where can I find an adaptor that is just to cover up threads that I can still pin on the end of the barrel. Something to give the appearance of not having a threaded barrel per say. I searched and could not come up with any results or name for what i'm looking for, any ideas?
Old August 19, 2013, 09:40 AM   #2
wogpotter

Try looking for "thread protectors".
Check your laws though, in many places its the threaded barrel used to attach devices to thats illegal, not the device being attached.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old August 19, 2013, 09:41 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've seen my local gunsmith put caps on rifles which are threaded for suppressors. I'd suggest measuring your threaded portion for diameter and threads per inch and then contacting some suppressor manufacturers.

I imagine that a gunsmith would have the tool (sorta like a set of feeler gauges) which measures threads per inch. Certainly a machine shop would.
Old August 19, 2013, 10:09 AM   #4
Theohazard

If you're talking about an AR-15-style rifle in .223, your thread pattern will almost certainly be 1/2x28, if you have a .308 it will most likely be 5/8x24. But, like wogpotter said, in most state "assault weapons" bans (and in the federal 1994 one) it wasn't the muzzle device that was banned but the threaded barrel itself. Merely covering up the threads probably won't cut it.
Old August 19, 2013, 04:40 PM   #5
kx592

I should have been more specific, I know my local laws and I can have a device just not a flash hider. My intentions are instead of dealing with a muzzle brake because Iv tried a few and im not looking to use one on my next build (ar15 556) I was looking at just a cap to make it look flush like there were no threads in the first place. That help any?
Old August 19, 2013, 10:03 PM   #6
Boomer58cal

I just turned the flash hider part off on the lathe.

Boomer
Old August 20, 2013, 06:36 AM   #7
wogpotter

http://shortactioncustoms.com/?p=474
"Protect your threads and thread shoulder and barrel face with the best thread protector on the market. The SAC thread protector is unlike any other thread protector because of its internal shoulder which protects the beginning of the thread and the large O.D. of the crown face. "

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”