The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 11, 2013, 01:58 PM   #1
mingheemouse

Arizona Pro Gun Bills Package HB2431, HB2432 & HB2433

I need your help to push these bills currently in committee in the AZ House, and to solidify sponsorship in the State Senate. Please contact your Arizona State Reps and Senators and ask them to support or sponsor these bills. All three bills need to pass, as they form an interwoven and interdependent legal protection scheme.

I am an Arizona attorney who, while working with the AZ GOP in drafting other legislation, had them line up Rep. Carl Seel to introduce a package of pro-firearm legislation, which I have drafted, in the Arizona State House. This package of three bills (HB2431, HB2432 & HB2433), operating in conjunction with each other, is written in such a way as to utilize a series of existing and still valid US Supreme Court decisions from the early 1800's through the present to legislate the continued legality within the State of just about every class of firearm sought to be banned in the current political climate. The legislation further provides a mechanism for the continued sale of such firearms in the event of Federal action seeking to restrict such sales. The unique approach to this package is its reliance on areas of control held entirely by the State and not within the Federal powers to legislate (which has never stopped the Feds from trying in the past).

I have already created a number of court briefs and prepared the majority of the legal defense of this legislation for use in the likely event that it is challenged.

This legislation also corrects wording in our Made in Arizona commerce clause defense legislation, to correct the portion attempting to address machine-guns, which actually caused shotguns to not be protected by the prior bill.

Please help us get these laws passed before any contrary Federal action can go into effect. I am currently working with both the AZ GOP and the AZCDL, and have met with and received the support of many Reps. and Senators on these bills, but no firm sponsors in the Senate, and these bills may end up bogged down in multiple committees in the House.

Other states have reacted by passing a series of "don't try to confiscate our guns or we will get mad and arrest you" laws, but have (for the most part) so far failed to produce a legally defensible state reason why these confiscations can't occur. I am hoping AZ will be the first to move in this direction.

Please feel free to PM me. I did not include contact information for myself or my firm due to spam and business considerations. I also assume it would violate advertising rules on the board. I deal with RKBA issues.

By the way, PC day at the Arizona State Capitol is tomorrow. Call your Senator and Reps and just get 5 minutes to meet and talk with them about the importance of protecting our rights.
Old February 11, 2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Dr Big Bird PhD

Is there any specifics or "dumbed-down" aspects you could share with the board?
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 11, 2013, 05:54 PM   #3
mingheemouse

As for specifics, here are the bills on the Arizona State Legislature's website for your reading enjoyment. They have been introduced, and are therefore available to the public.

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/51leg/1r/bills/hb2431p.pdf

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/51leg/1r/bills/hb2432p.pdf

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/51leg/1r/bills/hb2433p.pdf

I'm not a big fan of "dumbing-down" complex ideas, I like to give folks the benefit of the doubt. However, I am willing to give it a shot if need be.
Old February 11, 2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Dr Big Bird PhD

I was just looking for a quick logline like "bans magazines over 10 rounds" or "prohibits federal gun control laws from being enforced after this date".

Edit: Thank you for the links
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 11, 2013, 06:33 PM   #5
mingheemouse

Ahhh... I get ya. A quick and dirty summary of the outcome of the bills, that much I can happily do! I was just loath to attempt to dumb down the wording of the bills into something approaching English.

Something like: Here is what this set of bills does...

"Lets current and future Arizona residents keep all the wide variety of firearms and accessories (like standard capacity magazines) they currently own, and allows AZ residents to obtain new ones in the future, regardless of what misguided laws the Federal Government decides to enact. Plus it creates a cool Arizona version of the CMP."