The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 28, 2012, 06:55 AM   #51
excelerater

If your idea of measuring a load is to watch a sea saw for 20 mins get one
IMO lee scale is junk,absolute waste of my time....
Old May 28, 2012, 12:32 PM   #52
Edward429451

This is slightly tongue in cheek, perhaps if you didn't try to zero it, but rather try to go for 1 or 2 tenths off zero and maybe you'll stumble on your zero.
Old May 28, 2012, 02:07 PM   #53
dacaur

Quote:
If your idea of measuring a load is to watch a sea saw for 20 mins get one
IMO lee scale is junk,absolute waste of my time....
If your lee scale doesnt settle and stop moving in 5-10 seconds, there are two possibilities.

#1, and most likley, there is some sort of airflow in the room (fan, HVAC, open door/window) You have to remember the scale is so sensitive that even exhaling in its direction will make it move. The fix for this is to either stop the airflow, or get a less sensitive scale.

#2, you got a defective unit. The fix for this is to call lee and they will make it right.

People who dont know about #1 or #2, will take option #3, which is to complain on the internet to other people who know how great the scale is. The fix there is they will direct you to #1 and #2.
Old May 28, 2012, 08:49 PM   #54
excelerater

or buy a real scale ^^^^^^^ u get what you pay for sometimes esp with LEE

Old May 28, 2012, 10:12 PM   #55
tkglazie

money has nothing to do with it excelerater. $25-$34 is all anyone need spend on a great scale, but if a Lee scale is what you have, it will work just fine. I have one and I use it once a month to make sure both it, and I, are on the same page. My Gemini-20 is 5 times more accurate than any 1/20th grain beam scale and infinitely faster (with much less opportunity for user error)

Make fun of a Lee scale all you want, but if you are spending big money on a beam scale while others are getting .01 grain accuracy for under $35, who should be laughing?
Old May 29, 2012, 06:04 PM   #56
markr

Not trying to get anybody's panties bound up, but if you expect something to fail than it probably will. If you heed the instructions to the letter and give it a chance it just might work. I'm sure somebody will quote me and elaborate on how much they tried....blah blah blah. BUT, explain why I have been using mine for 2 plus years with none of the aforementioned issues. I didn't think it worked at first either, until I read the instructions several times. I STILL periodically re read the instructions, on all my equipment.

Washed up 11B1P