The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 6, 2009, 08:31 PM   #1
gyvel

Amnesty

Has any progress been made regarding introduction of new legislation to have another amnesty?
Old October 6, 2009, 09:18 PM   #2
Superhouse 15

The Man has said in the past they will not have an amnesty because it will risk ongoing investigations.
Old October 6, 2009, 10:08 PM   #3
4thPointofContact

Better to arrest, prosecute and cause fear than to risk actually having a working register of controlled weapons. Those that weren't registered by the cutoff date are likely kept in the strictest of secrecy (like the millions of firearms leftover from any of the numerous European conflicts).
Old October 8, 2009, 05:27 PM   #4
gyvel

So, working around all the sarcasm, the attempts at introducing legislature to allow, for example, amnesty for weapons found in the "attics" of deceased WWII vets is a dead issue?
Old October 8, 2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Hkmp5sd

It doesn't look like it is going to happen. Right now the only effort is to get an exemption for the movie industry from 922(o) (machinegun ban), so they don't have to go to Canada to film shows with post-86 machineguns or dub in sound/light effects for Airsoft guns.

NRA Life Member
Old October 13, 2009, 10:56 AM   #6
Skans

You have a Dem in the whitehouse. Dems control the Senate. Dems control the House.

What part of this present situation gives us any hope that there is going to be another machine gun amnesty in the near future? Even when the Republicans controlled the Presidency, Senate and the House, this didn't happen.
Old October 14, 2009, 02:20 AM   #7
dannydesiliva

Saw this on the news tonight, it's great that Amnesty have make a statement on the situation.
Old October 14, 2009, 01:24 PM   #8
johnwilliamson062

I don't see this ever happening. More likely the registry would be reopened IMO. Can you imagine what the cost of a preban 10-22 would go up to preceding this? There would be all kinds of people trying to find old receivers and convert.
Old October 14, 2009, 02:46 PM   #9
Mike OTDP

Depends on what you consider to be an amnesty.

My own opinion is that the NFA Transfer Registry is now thoroughly impeached as anything more than hearsay evidence. Which means that there is a significant chance that a court will rule that it is up to ATF to prove illegal posession, rather than the owner having to prove his lack of guilt.

When this looks imminent, ATF will use the amnesty authority to declare a "re-registration" period. Anything that could possibly have been legally owned can be freshly papered.

An unlimited amnesty? Doubtful - but don't count a repeal of section 922(o) out.
Old October 21, 2009, 12:41 AM   #10
gyvel

Quote:
Can you imagine what the cost of a preban 10-22 would go up to preceding this?
A "pre-ban" 10-22?????
Old November 6, 2009, 08:01 PM   #11
gyvel

Actaully, I was wondering about the bill that would allow amnesty registration of NFA weapons that some of our WWII vets had stashed in the attics, and are being discovered by heirs as the vets die off.
Old November 7, 2009, 07:33 AM   #12
Firepower!

I think there should be lobby to have the registry reopened. Perhaps, just levy a big yearly tax on ownership of each modern weapon. This way revenue will be generated and folks who really want to pay and have new auto weapons should be able to enjoy. Also, someone may enjoy a weapon with heavy tax for a year and then sell it off when done with it.

Just a thought since I think banning and item is just stupid and creates market for illegal weapons.
Old November 7, 2009, 10:24 AM   #13
dogtown tom

Quote:
Firepower! I think there should be lobby to have the registry reopened. Perhaps, just levy a big yearly tax on ownership of each modern weapon. This way revenue will be generated and folks who really want to pay and have new auto weapons should be able to enjoy. Also, someone may enjoy a weapon with heavy tax for a year and then sell it off when done with it.

Just a thought since I think banning and item is just stupid and creates market for illegal weapons.
Another tax? Why?:barf:

Why do we need another tax levied much less one you consider heavy?:barf:

Wouldn't this "heavy tax" serve as a ban in and of itself? Wouldn't those intent on crime just steal their automatic firearms instead of paying the tax?

Please explain why only those able to afford this "heavy tax" should be able to register & use new fully automatic weapons.

And most of all.......
Quote:
..and then sell it off when done with it...
Whut?

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old November 7, 2009, 12:31 PM   #14
Firepower!

dogtown...
I rather pay and get what I want than not having it at all.

Money is of no concern.
Old November 7, 2009, 03:34 PM   #15
johnwilliamson062

what I meant was with an amnesty you could go out and buy pre-86, then convert and register them and resell. I think every pre-86 10-22 would end up full auto.

Updated for inflation the NFA tax would be about $3200. How many would pay that to register a full auto weapon? Maybe that is what needs to be pushed right now to make headway on the issue. Even at $5,000 I think it would go a bit crazy with new registrations. A lot of money could be made for the government.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; November 9, 2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old November 9, 2009, 09:40 AM   #16
Skans

Quote:
A lot of money could be made for the government.
More money could be made if the government simply took their old M16's, registered them on Form 4's and sold them to Civilians.
Old November 9, 2009, 09:57 AM   #17
johnwilliamson062

I think allowing civilians to purchase weapons and register them is more likaly than the government selling them. I don't think .gov or .mil wants to be associated with civilian arms sales.
Old November 9, 2009, 10:33 AM   #18
Firepower!

Quote:
More money could be made if the government simply took their old M16's, registered them on Form 4's and sold them to Civilians.
I agree with this as well.
Old November 9, 2009, 10:37 AM   #19
johnwilliamson062

Ok, so lets look at this possibility more closely. How many old M16 lowers are in government storage? I would guess they have actually all been converted or destroyed. If it was a way to make 3 billion dollars over the next year it might actually get some traction, but if this would have to be a slow release as currently used rifles are phased out, no way in hell.

I don't think it could happen either way, but if .gov can bring in some money right now a lot of people in the middle would become fans. Maybe restrict initial sale to retired military officers or members of the IRR, although right now that probably would not go over well.

Yes I realize it is unfair, just trying to think of what would be the most likely criteria for this to pass through all the crap.
Old November 9, 2009, 10:55 AM   #20
Beretta686

Quote:
Ya'll are smoking crack if you think .gov or .mil would ever dream of having a "clearance sale" on weapons.

All the old weapons get given off to training units such as Cadet Command (I had an M16A1 when I went through my ROTC gay-ness at Ft. Lewis in early 2000s), given/sold to PDs or allied nations.

Anyone who has been around the military and seen how anal it is with weapons, knows their never going to let them be touched by a civi.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old November 9, 2009, 11:25 AM   #21
johnwilliamson062

That is what I thought. If there was a stockpile of 2 million rifles worth $10,000 (my out of air estimated value of a full auto lower once the market gets a limited flood) each less $500 processing cost, that would generate revenue of nineteen billion dollars.

I also think this is never going to happen, but a lot of people would like to see .gov pull in that kind of cash at no expense.
Old November 9, 2009, 11:47 AM   #22
Firepower!

Quote:
Ya'll are smoking crack if you think .gov or .mil would ever dream of having a "clearance sale" on weapons
I dont think anyone is smoking crack or dreaming here of anything. We are just discussing hytheticals- not day dreaming and assuming things, now that will be something like smoking crack.
Old November 9, 2009, 11:59 AM   #23
dogtown tom

Quote:
Firepower!: dogtown...
I rather pay and get what I want than not having it at all.

Money is of no concern.
How long have you been a Democrat? Could you try to sound more elitist?
It seems the only way the Democratic Party knows how to raise revenue is by raising taxes.

The Second Amendment is a right, not a revenue generator. Would your plan to heavily tax NFA firearms extend to other rights we enjoy? For example reading the newspaper? Going to church? Voting? Why not do a poll tax? Oh, because that is illegal.

You Democrats can keep the NFA tax @ $200 per and just permanantly reopen the registry to new NFA firearms. This would boost the economy and more people could take advantage of their right to own a fully automatic firearm. More purchasers= more manufacturing=more jobs=more sales taxes collected. There's your revenue.

Your method (very high taxes) would kill the companies that manufacture the very guns you want to buy.:barf: Hell, at least half my transfer business can be attributed to people wanting to avoid paying Texas sales tax. The busiest sales period in Texas is during the "tax free weekend" held every summer right before school starts.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE

Last edited by dogtown tom; November 9, 2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelning
Old November 9, 2009, 02:44 PM   #24
Skans

Quote:
Ya'll are smoking crack if you think .gov or .mil would ever dream of having a "clearance sale" on weapons.

All the old weapons get given off to training units such as Cadet Command (I had an M16A1 when I went through my ROTC gay-ness at Ft. Lewis in early 2000s), given/sold to PDs or allied nations.

Anyone who has been around the military and seen how anal it is with weapons, knows their never going to let them be touched by a civi.
I think most of us know this. The point is that it's STUPID! Civilians would pay far more money for our government's old weapons than foreign countries. Furthermore, OUR GOVERNMENT should trust US Citizens with it's old weapons more than it trusts foreign countries. Our government obviously considers us, its citizens, it's biggest enemy. THAT is the problem, my friend.
Old November 9, 2009, 02:57 PM   #25
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
OUR GOVERNMENT should trust US Citizens with it's old weapons more than it trusts foreign countries
The problem with your statements is the weapons aren't given to a trusted friend as much as to buy the loyalty of a necessary ally. Construction contracts are used more so for this purpose, but so are the weapons.

If you are willing to go fight in Iraq I am fairly certain the US government will GIVE you a full auto rifle and ammunition.

Not saying it is right/wrong, just that it has more to do with incentives than trust.