The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 30, 2012, 04:04 PM   #1
wolf1969

Pre 1940 FN Browning Auto 5

Looking for any information / value range on my auto 5. Based on the serial number records on the Browning sight I have determined that 1. It is an FN made Browning and 2. It is pre 1940. The serial number is 5 digit and the buttstock does have the FN logo on the plate. It is a 12 guage non ribbed 28" barrel. I would dare say for the age that it is in very good condition.
Old July 2, 2012, 02:52 PM   #2
BigJimP

I see a lot of them around ....for $ 300 - $ 500 for the most part / in above average to very good condition.

Value - to the buyer - to some extent / depends on what its choked at.

Most anyone that wants an Auto 5 ...has one / ....including me ( its in the back of my safe / hasn't been fired in 20 yrs ..belonged to my grandfather )...don't know why I hang onto it ...don't really want it ...don't really want to sell it ..( I have 20 or more other shotguns to shoot ....lots of Browning Citori O/U's ...and Benelli semi-autos)...

Auto 5's have their following ...but they aren't "collectable" really or valuable. They have nostalgia ...they were the semi-auto of my youth ...and everyone had one around. Shoot it and enjoy it for what it is ....is my recommendation.
Old July 2, 2012, 03:12 PM   #3
wolf1969

Thanks for the input BigJimP. Not looking so much to sell as making sure I don't have a valuable gun before I get my SBS stamp and have it cut down.
Old July 2, 2012, 03:16 PM   #4
BigJimP

Talk to other guys before you cut it up .../ take it to some local used gunshops - so they can check it first hand .....

I can't see it / or check it out over the internet...so just remember its a general opinion based on my 50 yrs of shotgunning experience...

I don't know what an SBS stamp is ...??
Old July 2, 2012, 03:31 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

"SBS" for short barreled shotgun, under 18 inch barrel length. In other words a Zombie Killer.

I would not do that to a Browning A5, use a Mossberg pump or a Remington Express.

The short barrel will throw the recoil implus off and you could have miss feeds and jamb's.
Old July 2, 2012, 03:55 PM   #6
BigJimP

thanks Jaguar.....that never would have occured to me...??

Auto 5's are notorious, in my experience, for being very tempermental on shells ...and cycling in general .../ not the best option for any kind of a Tactical Weapon, these days, in my view. Auto 5's are a "high maintenance" weapon ...even in the best of circumstances, in my opinion ( and my primary defensive weapon ..is a well built 911 )...and I think a 1911 is a low maintenace weapon...
Old July 2, 2012, 04:19 PM   #7
jaguarxk120

I really hate to say this as I don't think much of the Saga's.

But in this case it might be just what wolf is looking for.

The Saga's can be cut down and they have anywhere from 5,10 to 20 shot magazines. And they have a proven track record, there are many that swear by them.

I just think a shotgun should have wood stocks, machined steel parts, no alloy or plastic.
Old July 2, 2012, 05:51 PM   #8
BigJimP

I don't like the Saga's either..../ but if all he wants is a tactical shotgun...there are a lot of pump gun options out there.

Its my experience - that most of these guys that buy tactical shotguns...realize pretty quickly / they're not that much fun to shoot ---they especially don't give you your best option for any kind of clay targets...and they quickly tire of them. ( all of my son's buddies ...in their 30's now ...have them / and most of them have not fired them in 2 or 3 yrs ...and they've all gone and invested in better clay target guns ( semi-autos, over - unders, etc....) to have fun with.
Old July 2, 2012, 07:25 PM   #9
rbernie

Cutting the barrel of an Auto5 lightens it, making it cycle faster due to reduced mass and inertia. I have a 19" barrel that needs the friction rings set to magnum for light loads, and that simply batters itself on heavy loads due to the lack of barrel mass.
Old July 2, 2012, 07:36 PM   #10
jaguarxk120

I guess I'm lucky as my son never liked those short barreled guns. But he does like a plain gun over on that has engraving on it. Maybe some day he'll come around.
The one plain Ithica I have is a Executive Model 37, no engraving but the stocks are AAAA fancy. It's a non catalog gun and there were only 1000 made.
Old July 2, 2012, 07:38 PM   #11
jaguarxk120

rbernie I guess that sort of rules out short barrels and buckshot.
Old July 2, 2012, 09:50 PM   #12
wolf1969

My primary defense shotgun is my Mossberg 500. My opinion only but I think its the best beater for the money. Low price tag, low maintenance and lasts forever. Just looking for ways to justify keeping the auto 5 because it belonged to my grandfather and I don't believe in keeping guns that I don't use ie "collectables". I thank all that responded for the input and I do plan on taking it to a few of the local gurus.
Old July 3, 2012, 08:29 AM   #13
jaguarxk120

You have the best reason in the world for keeping theA5, it belonged to your grandfather. The gun is part of family, a link to the past, what did he hunt with it or was it used for clay shooting.

It will be much easier to show your kids this is the gun your great grandfather hunted with rather than telling them. Stories give no real connection to our past, but if one can touch/feel or use something from the past there is a bond there. KEEP IT as it is!!!!!
Old July 3, 2012, 11:55 AM   #14
BigJimP

I'd suggest you keep the gun as well...and keep it as it is.

You don't know what you might want to do with it in 10 yrs, 20 yrs, 30 yrs....

you might be real sorry if you cut it down ...
Old July 4, 2012, 12:06 AM   #15
wolf1969

Part of me says keep it but like I said, I am not much into owning something I don't shoot. My grandfather used it for deer hunting back in the day. I used it some 15 or 20 years ago for game bird. Guess I have some thinking to do.
Old July 14, 2012, 03:30 PM   #16
wolf1969

Decided to keep the browning for now. Invested in a Saiga 12. Looks like a fun gun.