The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 7, 2009, 09:15 PM   #1
mthom1957

Stevens 5100 SxS Questions

Can some one give me any help on disassembling the reciever on a Stevens 5100 SxS? I am working on one and I have never taken one apart before and would appreciate any advice on step by step procedure. I would also like to know if the reciever can be cold blued and if not what do you suggest?
Thanks,
mthom
Old July 8, 2009, 07:50 AM   #2
PetahW

I'm not going to attempt to describe disassembling the shotgun, except to say that it's pretty much the same as the common Stevens 311, and something best not "winged".

AFAIK, the receivers cannot be successfully cold blued, as under the worn off case hardening, there is a still hardened, shiney, chrome-moly steel that's super resistant to bluing - the reason that they're usually color casehardened in the first place (or coated, as in powder coat).

Old July 8, 2009, 08:29 AM   #3
Hawg

They're not complicated, just tricky to put back together. Why do you need to take it apart? No you can't cold blue it.
Old July 8, 2009, 09:11 PM   #4
mthom1957

Stevens 5100 Questions

I wanted to take the reciever apart to refinish the reciever and to replace the safety switch that is partially broken. If the reciever won't take blueing would a painted on finish be an option. As for the taking it apart I'm just looking for an idea on a starting point to best get it apart. Also, as the original finish is gone from the reciever I need to do something with it and I'm trying to do this myself as cheaply as possible plus the gun is just a beater so it doesn't have to be perfect. Any ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks,
mthom
Old July 9, 2009, 08:42 PM   #5
PetahW

You might be able to repair the safety w/o disassembling the receiver - if you take off the buttstock via it's through-bolt under the BP, a peek should tell the tale.

While the wood & barrels are off, the receiver can be degreased, masked off, and a decent finish like Oxypho-Blue (sp?) from Brownells sprayed on.

Beware, though - IF it's painted/coated, it will show wear/scratching after the action top lever is cycled maybe 5x.

Please check your PM for some safety removal instructions.

Last edited by PetahW; July 10, 2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old July 11, 2009, 01:38 PM   #6
George R

5100 Disassembly

Ayuh Petah. If you follow his instructions the safety will be accessable.
However, on the left side is a small flat spring that breaks when you look at it. Take a small jeweller's screwdriver and gently pry out the tail (near the rear of the receiver) of the spring and lift it down to keep it out of the groove. Then flip the receiver over and shake out the safety and plunger. it may just be clogged with dirt etc, so I'd try a spray cleaner first. Beware the hammer spring, it takes a real man to install one.
I've refinished a bunch of 311s and everyone is right, they can't be hot blued. Well, actually they can, but they turn a plum color after a few weeks. Color case harden is the best, but a spray on finish will do the job.