The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 12, 2000, 10:01 PM   #1
RHarris

I am interested in refinishing a couple of stocks. I have read some older books about how wonderful linseed oil is and am aware that it can take some time.

Does anyone have any experience with linseed oil for complete finishing of stocks? Is it worth the trouble? Time is not an issue. Any suggestions on anything else to try? Would a normal exterior polyurethane type finish work fine?
Old July 13, 2000, 06:45 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

RHarris, I don't use it but not because it isn't good or anything. I use Tru-Oil on unfilled stocks and when a customer really wants a great looking finish, I use Tung oil and a process that takes about 2 months to complete. I've seen some great looking linseed oil finishes. I guess the only reason I don't use it is because I was taught to use tung oil and if it ain't broke.... George
Old July 13, 2000, 09:32 AM   #3
chmeyers

I used tung oil to refinish my M1 Garand stock and it really turned-out nice. It's also a nice, simple wipe-on finish which can be re-coated anytime after some fine sanding. Good luck,
Old July 13, 2000, 12:59 PM   #4
Ledbetter

George,

Could you briefly describe the process you referred to?

Thanks,

Ledbetter
Old July 13, 2000, 10:37 PM   #5
Seronac

I've used Tung oil for years in furniture refinishing. Great stuff: easy to apply and forms a very nice finish.

Tru -Oil worked really well on the single gun stock that I've refinished. Although the secret toa good finish (or painting) job ir the preparation, and I didn't prepare that stock very well.

But, George, I would also be interested in your finishing processes, if you would be so kind as to post them. Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ledbetter:
George,

Could you briefly describe the process you referred to?

Thanks,

Ledbetter
[/quote]