The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 28, 2013, 07:44 PM   #1
higgscharger

H&R Barrel Exchange QUestion

I have an H&R Pardner and need some information about the barrel exchange program.

I've got the initial exchange part down, pretty simple. Take it apart, mail it in.

BUT, I am wondering what happens once I get it back.

I will then have 2 barrels for one gun. If I want to switch barrels, do I need to take it to a smith to be properly headspaced every time? Or, is it just a matter of switching the two and the positioning will be correct?

Thanks for the help.
Old February 28, 2013, 07:46 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

It's a pump gun, just switch barrels back and forth as often as you want with no worries
Old February 28, 2013, 07:50 PM   #3
higgscharger

Hmmm...it seems google is my friend.

Looks like these guys:

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.p...#msg1098505653

Switch the barrels out on their own with no safety concerns, although it does seem to have an impact on accuracy.

They mostly are talking about Handi-Rifles instead of the Shotguns, but I don't think there would be a significant difference??
Old February 28, 2013, 07:52 PM   #4
higgscharger

Actually, mine is a break action, not pump. But, I think your answer is still correct.
Old February 28, 2013, 08:58 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

Sorry, in the shotgun arena, a H&R Pardner I assumed to be the Pardner pump, the rifles are another thing altogether
Old February 28, 2013, 10:09 PM   #6
Goatwhiskers

Shotguns have the SB-1 frame, which is cast iron and have a large firing pin. They are not eligible to have rifle barrels installed. Rifles have the SB-2 or investment cast steel frame. Best is to call the factory with the S/N of your gun, they can tell you immediately if it's eligible. GW
Old March 1, 2013, 11:32 AM   #7
jimwill48

Yup the barrels will be fitted and headspaced at the factory ( the fitting charge). All you need to do is just change barrels. You can get about gauge fitted to the frame except 10ga (to large) so one frame could be .410 to 12ga with and assortment of slug barrels thrown in. The SB1 frame used to be able to be fitted with the .22 Hornet, .357mag, .44 mag and .45/70 barrels but that might of changed with ownership of the company....