The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 27, 2007, 05:40 PM   #1
TheShootist1894

New to Blackpowder, whats it worth?

Perdesoli .54 caliber o/u rifle, 99.999%, no box, apparently unfired.
The shop manager told me that you fire the first barrel and then pull back the hammer and rotate the barrels, pretty nifty sight to an avid metal fabricator. . .
I have never owned a BP rifle before and I have no idea what it is worth or if is usable/huntable

Does anyone own or has anyone used one of these? Are they accurate, and reliable?

Thanks KGB
Old June 27, 2007, 09:22 PM   #2
Old Dragoon

What you are looking at is called a swivel breech Rifle. I have never seen their swivel breech, but they make very good guns above Uberti and Pietta IMO.

I had one of their Sharps models and I kick myself for ever having sold it. So much so that I'm looking for another.

From "The Blue Book of Modern Blackpowper Arms.

SWIVEL BARREL RIFLE/SHOTGUN/COMBINATION O/U
- 20 ga.x 20 ga. or 20 ga. x 50 cal., .50 x .50 cal., .54 x .54 cal. perc., 23.62 in. double (O/U) octagon barrel, blue barrel, hammer, lock and furniture (after 1st shot barrel simply needs to be rotated 180 degrees for second shot), checkered walnut stock, 9.5 lbs. (9.75 lbs. on .54 cal.). New 1994.
Grading 100% 98% 90% 80%
$450 $365 $265 $225
Last MSR was $495.

I don't know that these prices are reliable or not. Another post said something about not going by these prices and that there were comments about that at Amazon.com, but I could not find the reader reports on the book.
Old June 29, 2007, 10:26 AM   #3
ED21

O/u

The swivel breech or two barrel rifle is a great idea. But! For hunting, you are carrying twice the weight in barrels. Also, some states do not allow for more than a single rifle barrel. (Colorado and ?)