The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 4, 2014, 02:48 AM   #1
bricz75

Good/bad years of manufacture for Remington 700?

A person who doesn't want a new Remington 700 can obviously go used. Generally speaking, what years are good ones for the Rem. 700? Which are to be avoided?
Old October 4, 2014, 06:01 AM   #2
steveNChunter

This is my opinion, so take it for what it's worth, but I think the barrels and actions of the Remington 700 are just as good as they have ever been.

The synthetic stocks on the cheaper models is the biggest slip in quality. This has been more evident in the rifles made post-Freedom Group buyout, which was in 2007. IMO the stock fitment issues only apply to the SPS and ADL line of rifles.

Also, I am not a fan of the X-Mark Pro trigger, which came out in 2006. They also went to a matte finish on their cheaper rifles in recent years, as opposed to the glossy blued finish that used to be standard fare. I prefer the glossy finish, but YMMV.

So there are a few reasons one might want to look pre-2006. Another notable mention is the design of the safety. In 1982 IIRC, the safety was redesigned so that the bolt could be cycled with the safety in the "safe" position. So all 700's made before that redesign must have the safety in the "fire" position to cycle the bolt. This is a non-issue IMO if you know how to handle a gun safely, but it could be something you might prefer.

In my opinion, the "creme de la creme" of Remington 700's is the early BDL models from their introduction in 1962 until around the late 70's. The checkering design on the beautiful walnut stocks, and overall fit and finish just seems a little better to me. The checkering design was changed around 1973 I think, the older stocks were impressed, and the newer ones cut. There are fans of each style. You have to watch out with models this old however, (really with any used rifle) because the round count could be way up there, causing throat erosion in the chamber especially with overbore cartridges. But the majority of these rifles left in the factory configuration are hunting rifles that have only been shot a few rounds a year, and are most likely fine.

The 700 is a great rifle, find one you like and go for it.

I have sadly committed the blasphemy of turning this 1971 model BDL in .243...

Into this .308-

Last edited by steveNChunter; October 4, 2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old October 4, 2014, 06:43 AM   #3
eastbank

my bad weather rifle is a left hand 700 SA sps in 7-08 youth rifle with a longer recoil pad installed and with 43grs varget and the 120nosler bt,it will do three shot .50-.75 inch groups at 100yds with a leupold 3x9 compact AO scope in dual dove tailed bases and rings from a bench rest. and the zero has not moved since i bought it new, for a cheap stocked factory rifle it does good. eastbank.
Old October 4, 2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I don't think Rem ever had any so,so bad years. If anything they've improved due to advancements in machining, metallurgy & synthetic materials. As far as re-calls. I doubt any weaponry made is 100% trouble free.
Old October 4, 2014, 11:43 AM   #5
bricz75

Quote:
This is my opinion, so take it for what it's worth, but I think the barrels and actions of the Remington 700 are just as good as they have ever been.
Quote:
I don't think Rem ever had any so,so bad years. If anything they've improved due to advancements in machining, metallurgy & synthetic materials.

I read a review where the rifle would not cycle reliably.

If I'm not mistaken, many have had to send their rifles for warranty servicing for reasons other than the trigger issues.
Old October 4, 2014, 12:03 PM   #6
jmr40

Depending on your perspective they are all as good, or as bad, as ever. Even the plastic stocked guns shoot at least as well as the wood stocked guns. If you don't want plastic they still make them with wood just like they always have. It comes down to how much you want to spend. $350 for plastic, or $900 for walnut. I'd strongly consider buying a new plastic gun and invest the savings in a much better aftermarket stock.

As a rule they tend to be one of the more accurate rifles made. But also one of the more problematic. The extractor is a weak design and the bolt handles tend to fall off at times. And the pre-2006 guns are known to discharging without pulling the trigger in rare cases.

If I were buying another it would probably be a pre-1982 gun that locks the bolt down when on safe. The old style trigger feels great, but is a flawed design. The trigger design is solid on all newer guns, but all indications are that it is just not very good. I'd put an aftermarket trigger on any of them and would really prefer the older style safety. If the bolt handle hasn't fallen off a pre -82 gun by now it probably won't.

Quote:
As far as re-calls. I doubt any weaponry made is 100% trouble free.
It's not the recall's that bother me. It is the 5 million defective rifles they made that they won't recall.
Old October 4, 2014, 12:24 PM   #7
bricz75

Quote:
Even the plastic stocked guns shoot at least as well as the wood stocked guns. If you don't want plastic they still make them with wood just like they always have. It comes down to how much you want to spend. $350 for plastic, or $900 for walnut.
I heard of the ADL going for $400 at a box store within the past few years, but not $350. Were you referring to a 783 or 770?

Quote:
The extractor is a weak design and the bolt handles tend to fall off at times. And the pre-2006 guns are known to discharging without pulling the trigger in rare cases.
Are there aftermarket extractors? On the pre-2006 models, does an aftermarket trigger like a Timney solve the possible discharging?

Quote:
It's not the recall's that bother me. It is the 5 million defective rifles they made that they won't recall.
They did make a number of payouts to victims of accidents. IIRC, part of the agreement is the person needs to be hush.
Old October 4, 2014, 03:29 PM   #8
steveNChunter

Quote:
Are there aftermarket extractors? On the pre-2006 models, does an aftermarket trigger like a Timney solve the possible discharging?

Yes and yes. However I've never seen the need for either. Never broke an extractor and never had one to fire when it wasn't supposed to. Almost all the people who have had that problem had very dirty guns and/or triggers adjusted way off from how they came from the factory, like under 2.5#. And some people just watch too much liberal propaganda on MSNBC.

I'll back a factory model 700 trigger off to 3#, spray it with gunscrubber, and leave it. On a hunting rifle, 3# is about right to me.

Now if you wanted a Timney just to get a lighter, crisper trigger, then yea that's a great idea.
Old October 4, 2014, 07:49 PM   #9
bricz75

Quote:
Almost all the people who have had that problem had very dirty guns and/or triggers adjusted way off from how they came from the factory, like under 2.5#. And some people just watch too much liberal propaganda on MSNBC.
I didn't know about this. It wasn't all R's fault, then.
Old October 4, 2014, 08:08 PM   #10
Mobuck

All the 700's I bought in the late 70's to early 80's were absolute tack drivers. I haven't bought one since.
Old October 4, 2014, 08:20 PM   #11
steveNChunter

I will admit that they attempted to sweep a "potential issue" under the rug by not recalling all those rifles with the old style triggers.

But any gun that has been improperly modified, as in adjusting the factory trigger below it's original setting, and neglected enough to allow rust and dirt to build up inside the trigger mechanism, is asking for trouble. Take your rifles out of the stock and give them a good thorough cleaning every once in a while, whether they have been out in the weather or not.

If you do a trigger job on one of these guns, check to make sure you have a safe amount of sear engagement, do the "bump test" before loading it, and make sure the springs are still being compressed. If you back the pull weight adjustment screw too far out you completely unload the spring, then the jarring of the safety being flipped off could theoretically cause the gun to fire if the sear is not adequately engaged. Most adjustment problems result from the sear screw being too far in, and/or the pull weight screw too far out. And just a small drop of blue Loctite is always a good idea on those adjustment screws.

Last edited by steveNChunter; October 4, 2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old October 5, 2014, 09:24 PM   #12
reynolds357

With the debatable exception of the triggers, I do not believe there were any bad years. I do not see the triggers as a problem. What else can you expect to last forever without failing regardless of whether or not it receives proper maintenance? For some reason, triggers are supposed to last forever regardless of how they are used, abused, and neglected.
Old October 7, 2014, 06:44 AM   #13
jehu

I am a Sako guy but I found a 700 BDL 22-250 a couple of years ago made in 1968 and it's a varmint bull barrel! Fit and finish are excellent and accuracy with 50gr Hornady V-Max is pretty much one hole at 100yrds. I am no fan of Rem. rifles but it looks like the older ones were alot better quality.
Old October 7, 2014, 07:04 AM   #14
Oneb

Factory Remington 700s never lit my fires.

I've owned 2 regular 700s and parted with them with no regret. The design is clunky, there are too many safety recalls and reports of chronic quality problems like bolt handles coming off etc. have insulated me from more adventures with Remington 700s.

The raves by customizing addicts who have thrown away everything but the receiver only prompt me to giggles.

The sole exception was the old Classic bolt gun which I found to be head and shoulder better than the 700s. Of course Remington dropped that model. But then that is all of a seam with other bad corporate ideas. Remington bungled intros of fine calibers -- like the 6mmm, 280, 6.8 SPC etc... which hardly recommends them as a serious purveyor of fine arms.

Oneb
Old October 7, 2014, 07:27 AM   #15
steveNChunter

Quote:
I found a 700 BDL 22-250 a couple of years ago made in 1968 and it's a varmint bull barrel!
Ah, sounds like a BDL Varmint Special. My favorite 700. I have one made in 1974 in 6mm rem. One of my most accurate rifles.

Quote:
The raves by customizing addicts who have thrown away everything but the receiver only prompt me to giggles.
So the United States Marine Corps and Army prompt you to giggles? Google M40 and M24

Last edited by steveNChunter; October 7, 2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old October 7, 2014, 02:06 PM   #16
Oneb

I hardly consider the USMC and Army sniper programs 'customizing addicts' as they assemble purpose designed and built rifles to rigid uniform standards for reliability, durability, and long range lethality. Nothing funny about that; its dead serious business.

IMO chasing fads like ltwt rifles, exotic calibers, and gaudy stocks that scare the horses is the realm of the addicted customizing crowd. And I do giggle at their raves over the superiority of those Rem 700 projects.

Oneb
Old October 9, 2014, 02:11 PM   #17
thekyrifleman

Each time I read a thread such as this regarding the quality of the Rem 700 and the "problems associated with the original trigger mechanism", I reflect on my own experience and that of many friends who also own one....or more....

Personally, I have six, a 1962 ADL 7mag, 1966 BDL 7 mag, 1980 BDL 8mag, 1992 custom built 7mmSTW, 2000 Rem Ti 7-08, and a 2004 Mtn DM in 280. Total years usage for me is approximately 115 years. Never a problem. Original triggers adjusted to 3-3.5 pounds and kept scrupulously clean!! Add to that a close friend with two BDL's 70+ years usage....yes, original trigger design.....triggers adjusted to 3.5 pounds, and still no problem!! Not one misfire ever with any of these rifles and they have been used on anything available, 12 months a year, paper to caribou. That's almost 200 years combined usage!!!!! Admittedly, I have replaced the triggers on the STW, -08 and 280 with Jewells because in my opinion the newer design is far inferior to the original.

So when I hear about " all these misfires and quality problems", I have to wonder that maybe we have been extremely fortunate or more likely the problems have been greatly exaggerated......just sayin!!!

Last edited by thekyrifleman; October 9, 2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old October 9, 2014, 02:39 PM   #18
eastbank

i have had the same expearence with my 700 remingtons, not one unexpected firing,not one bolt comming apart, but many years(close to 60yrs) of hunting all over the world with out a hitch. eastbank.
Old October 10, 2014, 12:28 AM   #19
thekyrifleman

Hey Eastbank,

Sounds like we have a few years under our belts. This fall will be my 60th consecutive hunting season in PA. I see you are also PA based. What part? I am in the SW corner, hunt bear near Marienville.
Old October 10, 2014, 05:38 AM   #20
eastbank

near state college, in the seven mountain,s area. like a earier poster i think some people try to adjust their rifles trigger and don,t do it right and the rifle later gets sold and the new owner is blind sided by the misadjustments. or the owners squirt their actions full of wd-40 or other gumming oil and triggers get gummed up over time. eastbank.
Old October 11, 2014, 08:34 AM   #21
mitchntx

Good read ... I recently purchased a 700 SPS.

This is the only bolt action rifle I own. I wanted a dedicated 308 for suppressor use and with subsonic ammo. I didn't want to constantly fiddle with an adjustable gas block, either.

I traded a gen2 Glock 19 and a Smith 642 lightweight for this 700 SPS. But I hated the condom covered stock.

Found a nice Boyd's Walnut stock and custom fit it to the 700. Had to change trigger guards and I lost the floor opening. I was afraid the wooden stock would not hold up over time with a huge chunk cut out of the middle.

Load it from the top and unload it from the top.

The can is a YHM Phantom Ti and topped it off with Leupold VX-R.

It is unbelievably quiet.
Old October 11, 2014, 01:02 PM   #22
steveNChunter

mitchntx- nice rig, this is a good example of what can be done with any 700, regardless of the year or trim level. The aftermarket for 700's is endless, so that helps too.

I know this is a bit off topic, but do you hunt with the subsonic loads you mentioned or a different load? Sounds like a good job for Trail Boss powder and a heavy cast bullet.
Old October 11, 2014, 01:37 PM   #23
mitchntx

Yup ... its the small block chevy of bolt action rifles.

I hunt with subs ... don't shoot at anything farther than 100 yards, though.
Old October 13, 2014, 07:19 AM   #24
tobnpr

If I were buying a used 700, I'd be more concerned about the condition of the barrel (assuming I were not planning on re-barreling from the get-go) than the year the action were manufactured. A very thorough inspection is warranted, borescoped if possible- especially if an older rifle in a relatively throat-burning chambering like .243.
www.biggorillagunworks.com