The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 31, 2010, 12:18 PM   #1
Servo77

A potentially silly question about the Remington 870 Police and barrels

OK, this may seem like a silly question, but can wingmaster and express barrels also be used on an 870 Police magnum? I ask this because I am potentially getting one or more and want to know if I can swap the barrels as I will be selling my only "field barreled" shotgun. I don't shoot clays much andthere is nothing I really hunt that requires anything but a slug barrel, but I am wanting to know if I can buy those barrels if the situation presents itself.
Old January 31, 2010, 12:37 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Except for the barrels made for the Special Field variant of the 870, ALL barrels are interchangeable within 12 gauge.

Early versions of the 16 and 20 gauge were made on the same receiver size as the 12,so those barrels do not interchage with the ones made these days.

Put any barrel you desire on your shotgun. As long as both receiver and barrel are for a given length shell or shorter, you're OK.