The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 4, 2014, 01:24 PM   #1
bricz75

Big-box store Rem. 700 ADL vs. Other Rem. 700 models

Remington makes the 700 ADL with the blind magazine box for big-box stores exclusively, IIRC. Since they are made for these stores only, are they of less quality than the lower-priced 700 rifles available to all distributors/retailers?
Old October 4, 2014, 07:41 PM   #2
steveNChunter

They are on par with the SPS models, just depends on whether you want a blind magazine or hinged floorplate. There's really no advantage either way but theoretically a blind-mag stock will be slightly stiffer. What plagues them both is poor bedding and barrel-to-stock contact that is inconsistent because of the flimsy, flexy forend.

If you buy one and it doesn't shoot well, try sanding out the barrel channel until the stock free-floats and won't contact the barrel when shot off a rest or bipod. If that doesn't work buy a $100 Boyd's laminate wood stock. If you're still not satisfied, epoxy bed the stock or have a gunsmith do it for 50-75 dollars. You can take an ADL and make it shoot just as good as any other 700, but odds are you will have to improve the stock.

A 700 action is a 700 action, a 700 sporter weight barrel is a 700 sporter weight barrel, an X-Mark Pro trigger is an X-Mark Pro trigger. Doesn't matter if it's going on an ADL, SPS, BDL or CDL. The finish, magazine type, and stock are the only differences until you get into the heavy barrel models and of course the custom shop stuff.
Old October 5, 2014, 07:50 AM   #3
jmr40

For my money I'd buy the cheaper ADL. I actually prefer the blind magazine, it is a lot simpler, the gun is lighter and it takes about 3 seconds longer to unload.

The cheap plastic stocks shoot just as well as anything made, but I don't really care for any of the factory Remington stock styes and would replace it with an aftermarket stock anyway. The money saved on the cheaper gun will pay for the stock I'd want anyway.
Old October 5, 2014, 08:20 AM   #4
steveNChunter

I like to think of both the ADL and SPS models as builds waiting to happen. Along the same lines as the now-discontinued Savage/Stevens 200.
Old October 5, 2014, 09:46 AM   #5
Snyper

Quote:
Remington makes the 700 ADL with the blind magazine box for big-box stores exclusively, IIRC
They make them for anyone who wants them.

Unless a distributor does a special run order with certain "custom" features, all guns are available to all dealers.
Old October 5, 2014, 09:30 PM   #6
reynolds357

Stock is an issue whether box or blind; flimsy.
Old October 7, 2014, 06:26 AM   #7
Mobuck

This used to be an issue discussed at length among shooters-not just Remington but Savage and Winchester, also. The common assumption was that the "big box" rifles were cheaper so must use "2nd rate" parts. It was never really proved or disproved but I can surely say that distributors(or manufacturers) will discount a sale of a semi load of rifles over the sale of 2 or 3 to the local dealer.
While I was in the gun shop, I had customers ask me to match prices with Walmart. I couldn't buy the rifle from my supplier and pay shipping and meet Wally price let alone making a $20 handling fee.
Old October 7, 2014, 07:35 AM   #8
tobnpr

Used to wonder the same thing. It's common for big box stores to get their own "brand' from a manufacturer. I remember years ago I bought a Bostitch framing nailer (usually known for quality) at Home Depot. When a seal failed, I took it to my local repair shop and the guy said he couldn't get parts for it. I said "***- It's a Bostitch!?" He told me that it was a "special" line they made for HD to keep the price low, and he could not get parts for it...

But, I digress...

The ADL's from places like Wally World are fine- in fact, they're sought out when they're on sale, for guys that want to use just the actions for a custom build. Often, you can buy the ADL (even with a cheap scope) for less than the cost of the action alone ($450 or more). Then sell the stock and scope on Ebay for a couple bucks...
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old October 7, 2014, 08:11 PM   #9
reynolds357

Agreed, that is why all the "take off" barrels are floating around all over the internet for sale. I just built a custom using a take off barrel (long story) and it shoots 1" groups at 200 yards. Not bad for a $50 barrel.
Old October 8, 2014, 08:12 AM   #10
zach_

My 243 is an adl from Academy. $379.00. Love it. Shoots great! As far as the debate over the parts used on different model 700's, I know some reps, retail big wigs, lifetime shooters, and hunters that all have different opinions and stories. I wonder if any of them actually has been given the correct info.
Old October 8, 2014, 09:48 AM   #11
mxsailor803

I've got a .270 ADL and the only things I've to it are add a Shilen trigger and floated the barrel. It didn't need much clearancing to work just fine. Granted mine is a 90's rifle that is also a deer rifle. Not fancy but works just fine.