The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 3, 2013, 04:59 PM   #1
TheBigO

Who is Going to Shoot Less This Season?

With ammo and components through the roof right now who is going to shoot less this year.

I shoot USPSA, Tac-Rifle, Speed Steel, and some other stuff at two local clubs. This equates to about 250-300 rounds of .223 and around 500 rounds of 9mm per month. Now I am not a hoarder, although think I need to become one, and by my math I only have enough components, mainly lacking in the small pistol primer, to get me into early May.

I was wondering if anyone was thinking on cutting back due to cost, fear of shortages ect...

The first USPSA shoot is next week and will be interested in how many new shooters there are or how many regulars are missing.
Old February 3, 2013, 07:57 PM   #2
Ken O

Not me. I remember getting caught in the 90s when the first panic struck. There wasn't a primer, mag, or powder to be had. From then on, I always kept at least a year ahead.

After the panic, everything will be available again, but it might take a year. How many times has this happened? I'm thinking 3 or 4, and each time seems worse. I remember 4 years ago it happened. When things normalize, and the prices come back down somewhat (never goes back to what they were), get your stash built.

I'm getting older, and would like to get a lifetime's supply built, if I can afford it.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:08 PM   #3
L2R

I built a 2 year supply but....

I am sure that I will cut my time at the range in half.

I saw somewhere that it will be 6 to 9 months before we see relief.
If this mess stays in the spotlight and newbies keep buying guns, I could be a lot longer.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:14 PM   #4
arch308

At the moment I am pretty well stocked but will probably shoot less till things calm down.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:16 PM   #5
tomrkba

I cannot find 22 LR. This puts a serious dent in my shooting.
Old February 3, 2013, 09:27 PM   #6
kraigwy

I got caught the last drought, I squeaked by but swore I'd never get caught short handed again.

I was prepared for this one, I wont be slowing down. I can make it through this drought and probably the next one. Still, that wont stop me from buying primers, powder and 22s when I see them.

This wasn't the first drought, it wont be the last. Its up to us individually to prepare to weather the storms.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 4, 2013, 08:00 PM   #7
SnowTrekker

I plan to shoot more this year, actually, but there is no denying that it will take longer to replace the ammo that I shoot. Next year might be when I really start to feel all this craziness.

And once all this calms down, I will know to buy ammo a bit more regularly whether I am shooting it or not.
Old February 4, 2013, 08:09 PM   #8
Justice06RR

I've definitely held back on shooting 3-gun and IDPA due to high prices and unavailability of ammo that I use (9mm and 5.56 unfortunately). For now I'm trying not to use what ammo I have left. When supplies come back to more tolerable levels, I hope to get back into the shooting events again.
Old February 11, 2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Silent Bob

Despite the ammo shortage my IDPA club has been seeing record turnout at weekend matches with between 5-10 new shooters each weekend.
Old February 11, 2013, 09:48 PM   #10
chris in va

Same here, lots of extra turnout at our club.

I'll cut way back on shooting my AR, tips are getting scarce. Provided I can still get wheelweights my handgun shooting will stay the same.
Old February 12, 2013, 02:03 AM   #11
allaroundhunter

As long as the ammo supplier is keeping up, I will still be shooting at least a 3-gun match and possibly a USPSA match each month.
Old February 12, 2013, 10:53 AM   #12
Viper225

I am a Club President at a fair sized Sportsmans Club.

We are picking up new shooters every match.
Our regulars normally make 3 or 4 runs through the Handgun or 2-3 Gun Course. Most have cut back to one or two runs with Centerfire, or switched to rimfire.

We have a Rimfire Division in 2/3 Gun and our Defensive Pistol Matches. It looks like rimfire is picking up more, due to folks hanging on to centerfire ammo.

Last match a couple regulars who have been buying match ammo commented that they had gotten their reloading equipment dusted off and sorted out after not using it for years.

Myself I will shoot my Rimfire AR Upper in 2 Gun, and hang on to my 223 ammo. I always shoot an entry in rimfire in our Defensive pistol match. I have enough components to keep my 38 running till the shortage is over.

I think some Clubs need to do some thinking about Rimfire. All that is required is to put the steel away, and shoot all Card Board Silhouettes, and rimfire works just fine.

We shoot Steel Challenge one month, and a Defensive Pistol Match the next month. Our Defensive Pistol Match is loosely based on IDPA. We shoot all IDPA Silhouettes, with No Steel. We have a Rimfire Division, and also a rimfire BUG can compete in BUG Division which shoots on the same course of fire as the rest of the match.

How we handle a 5 shot 38 in BUG is by not counting the 6th shot Not Fired as a miss. We shoot 12 Round Stages with either 2 or 3 shots per target. A J Frame 38 is only scored on 10 shots fired, not 12. This works fine, and is no problem to score.

I see our 50 Yard Rimfire Bench Rest picking up a great deal. I am starting to see Rimfire Match Ammunition loosen up a little also. No problem finding Eley Teem, Black Box Match, or Red Box. I even found some SK Match in stock.
Most of our shooters were shooting Wolf MT/SK Standard Plus before. They will just pay a little extra and move up to Eley Black Box Match which a local dealer has in stock. If the scores come up with better ammunition, they may not go back to SK Standard Plus when it is back in the supply chain again.

Not sure how our Hi Power Matches will do. At the moment no slow down. I am guessing the high end match bullets will be back on the shelf before most start to run low. Powder and Primers might take longer to get back on the shelf.

I am sure the total round count fired in matches will be down some in 2013.

It would be handy if some would quit buying all the ammo and components up they can find to jack up the price and resell it. This is causing a lot of the shortage, and hi prices.

Like Kraig in Wyoming said it is better not to get caught with your drawers down in the first place. Kraigwy and I are on the same wave length on most issues.

Bob