The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2008, 07:00 AM   #1
ruger.john

Lee Classic Turret Question

Just started using my Lee Classic Turret and I find I have a dud every 100 or so. What I mean is there is a pop and no powder so the bullet sticks in the throat of the barrel. I have been very careful but because I am loading light loads with W231 3 grains for a .38 there is little powder in the case. Can anyone suggest a powder which will fill the case more so I can see it OR am I just missing the powder measure station on the press. Any suggestions appreciated.
The guys at the gun club all single stage guys suggest throwing out the Lee Turret and buying a single stage or using it as a single stage. BTW My son uses the same press-no problems. Thanks for any input.

Last edited by ruger.john; April 5, 2008 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Sp
Old April 5, 2008, 07:24 AM   #2
rwilson452

it sounds to me like you could be short stroking it at the powder drop. You could also be doing what I call fast stroking. Not leaving enough time at the top of the stroke for the powder to fall.
Old April 5, 2008, 07:27 AM   #3
rwilson452

for a powder that has more bulk, try Trailboss. it was designed to give you a light bulky load.
Old April 5, 2008, 08:18 AM   #4
jdmick

Make sure the flaring die is set down enough so you're getting a firm grip on the brass so the powder measure is getting a full stroke every time.