The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 3, 2013, 08:15 PM   #1
Resq

Kimber Raptor II, Thoughts?

So I'm out looking for another 1911, I was looking at a Sig Sauer Commander Nightmare, had a deposit on it being that everything around here in the Marxist state of NY is flying off the shelves. I've been popping in and seeing if anything new came in. I came across a Blued Kimber Raptor II that was used. I had been looking at Kimbers, however I didn't want an entry one, I wanted something all stainless. Upon inspecting it, it looks brand new, maybe 100 rounds through it. My friend who happens to work there told me that it was clean, in inspecting it it looks as so, not a single mark on it. I called Kimber and found that it had a production date of 3/05. Upon talking further with my friend he told me that the previous owner owned many guns and he was a fanatic and didn't shoot much. The price is right and I don't want to roll the dice and lose out on a opportunity to pick up another 1911. Starting 4/15 of this year nothing over 7 rounds can be sold.

My main question is, has anyone owned one or still owns one, whats your thoughts, experiences? Is there anything i should be looking out for?

Thanks
Old April 3, 2013, 09:18 PM   #2
AFK

I have been looking for a new 1911 myself lately. Being that I own 2 Kimbers, know of three other people with trouble-free Kimber's, and just put a deposit down on a third, I would obviouly say Kimber. I looked at a few different brands, the Sig nightmare being one of them, but it just didn't speak to me like the Kimber did. I definitely did not like the feel of the thumb safety on the Sig. I'm sure either one is awesome and a good choice. I would go with the one that "speaks" to you. After I held the Kimber Super Carry Pro, there was no going back!
Old April 4, 2013, 01:16 PM   #3
SmokinSigs357

I own one and it is one of the most beautiful and accurate .45s you can own. A pleasure to shoot as well.

Put some VZ Operator II grips on mine because I honestly think the stock grips (as intricately carved as they are) are ugly. I will hold onto them, but the stock grips are the worst part of the gun...JMO.
Old April 4, 2013, 03:42 PM   #4
pete2

My thoughts, get a Colt or Springer.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:32 PM   #5
Resq

Thanks for the input, guys. Pete, I had looked at the Colts and they just didn't do it for me. And I can't wait for a Springer. Unfortunately I have to get it before the 15th and for some reason the Raptor spoke to me. I'm pretty much a person that if it talks I have a good feeling about it. I would love a Springer or even a Nighthawk or even an Ed Brown, but with these restrictive laws coming into play I have to get what's available. Now if **** gets repealed I might have to go for another, you can never have too many, right? I'll post up pics and a report when I pick it up.